dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Trege6
join:2008-04-02

Trege6

Changing home agent while connected to a router?

I have my sprint modem plugged into an MBR900 router,
and it has a good signal around 3 to 4 bars but the ping is jumping everywhere from 500MS to 1000+MS then back to 100MS
and my download speeds are pretty low lately around 20-40KB/s
sometimes as low as 10KB/s. I already have the MSL but the new smartview has no go button and I don't know if the router can change the home agent.

This CMD screenshot shows how unstable it's been.

»i88.photobucket.com/albu ··· ping.png That random unstable ping usually lasts all day and this has been happening for almost a week, but didn't get as bad until now.
DS1192
join:2010-07-16
La Crosse, WI

DS1192

I have a 598U connected to an MBR-1000. The Home Agent is set in the USB modem. When the MBR-1000 connects to the internet is uses the Home Agent that is set in the USB modem. You can not change the Home Agent through the router, only with Smartview.
Trege6

Trege6

Thanks for replying.

Do I need an old version of smartview to change it? The new version has no go button and I searched google but haven't found any other way to change it.
DS1192
La Crosse, WI

DS1192 to Trege6

to Trege6
Yes, you need an older version, I just use the version that is preloaded in the USB modem. So uninstall the version you have, and then place your USB modem in the computer, and the installer should run, then you will have an older version of Smartview that allows you to change the Home Agent. In order to access the data menu you have to type DATA##, #DATA##, or something like that, then you enter the MSL code.

Also if your latency is jumping into the 1000+ms that could mean your modem is constantly changing from evdo to 1xrtt. I would suggest locking your modem into evdo only mode(If it's possible).
Trege6

Trege6

Thanks I finally got my home agent changed, but before I tried the modem default smart view my router notified me of a firmware update
this update made it where the router can change your HA for you if you give it the address, I was actually surprised at it myself.

But my speeds are back now staying in the 80-100MS range sometimes it jumps to 200MS but usually goes back down.

I'm really glad I got a cradlepoint router now.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to Trege6

Premium Member

to Trege6
After many frustrating days and weeks of messing with and changing HA's I finally took a hint from Jim_in_VA and set my HA to 255.255.255.255 and let it choose whatever one is best at the time. Works like a charm.

Today it thinks it's in Columbia, SC but I still do the speedtest to Kansas City so my results will be consistent.

DS1192
La Crosse, WI

DS1192 to Trege6

to Trege6
Really CradlePoint router's can change the Home Agent now....sweet I will take a look at that.
DS1192

DS1192

Got my MBR-1000 updated to firmware 1.8, and it's great. I can now change my Home Agent via the router's interface. The best part is that you don't need an MSL code. You just type in the HA address you want and your good to go. Also it adds an additional MTU/DNS setting options in the BASIC/WAN menu. The MTU in the router setting was 1500 for WAN before, but know you are able to change the MTU for your specific modem, and it says specifically packet size now.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

1 edit

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

Why is changing your HA so important? I think tower load and internet conditions have the largest impact on individual performance. Neither of these can be corrected on the user end.

Here's my results from using 255.255.255.255 I got as a hint from Jim_in_VA. It thinks I'm in Kansas City today. There is no way any other setting would yield any better results for me.

DS1192
La Crosse, WI

DS1192

Well initially I had an issue using 255.255.255.255. I would give me Kansas City most of the time, sometimes Chicago, but I wanted Chicago every time. So I then changed my HA to Chicago for both Primary and Secondary to give me better latency. I do agree that tower load is more of a problem and that an HA can't change that. Some games that I play do matchmaking based on region, or states, so for me having the HA closest to me was important.
DS1192

DS1192

Also this new update might add a few options for say Broadband2Go users. I don't think you can change HAs with Broadband2Go devices before, but now you might be able to through a CradlePoint router.

Roncho
@spcsdns.net

Roncho to DS1192

Anon

to DS1192
Where is the area to add the home agent in the router interface? I have a Sprint 250U on a MBR900 and connect via 3G with 4G turned off. I upgraded to the v1.8 router firmware and WIMAX modem driver v5.2.236, but can not find where to enter the HA information. I expected it to be in the Modem Settings area, but I've looked through pretty much everything, and I'm still missing it. Thanks in advance!
DS1192
La Crosse, WI

DS1192

When in the router's interface, go to "MODEM", you should now be at the screen that shows your Modem Diagnostics, now click the "Settings" tab. Under modem specific settings, you should see a modem interface drop down box, this is where you select the USB port that your modem is connected to on the router. After that you should see the section called "CDMA Settings" Now enable advanced CDMA Settings, and enable persist advanced settings in modem. For me my active profile is on 1, so that should work for you also. Then you will see two settings called, Primary HA, and Secondary HA. Only change those two settings and nothing else! I tested this and it works because if you use different HA addresses, the star on speedtest.net changes to the spot closest to what you set your HA to. Hope this helps.

Roncho
@spcsdns.net

Roncho

Anon

That was it! It worked perfectly, thanks! I would often end up on the Chicago HA instead of Indianapolis, which is where I am. So I put in the Indiana HAs, and now Speedtest.net and Google both have me as being in central Indiana.

Thanks again!
DS1192
La Crosse, WI

DS1192

Ya, it seems for some the default 255.255.255.255 setting is not very accurate, I am glad it worked for you.