spc
uniqs
mileytipton
join:2010-10-13
Cincinnati, OH

mileytipton to signmeuptoo94

to signmeuptoo94

Re: Taveling with laptop for the first time, what to watch out f

you can protect your data, using VPN, Else in case of public network your lappy is vulnerable to unauthorized access

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

But I am not asking about web networking to an office server, I am only talking about going online to DSLR, gmail, and so forth.

SoonerAl
MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

2 edits

1 recommendation

SoonerAl

MVM

Click for full size
DSLReports secure login
Click for full size
SSL lock

XP firewall
said by signmeuptoo94:

But I am not asking about web networking to an office server, I am only talking about going online to DSLR, gmail, and so forth.

In general...

* Use SSL encrypted logins and sessions, ie. you can login and use the secure dslreports.com forums for example, as noted earlier by others. This includes Gmail or whatever email provider you use. If your provider does not offer SSL encrypted email then switch to Gmail. Look for the little lock in the URL area of your favorite browser. This shows how to setup Gmail for SSL if you use POP3 and an email client like Windows Mail.

»mail.google.com/support/ ··· er=86383

* SSL encrypted logins and sessions for online banking or shopping, ie. Amazon.com for example. Look for the little lock in the URL area of your favorite browser. If the online bank or store do not offer SSL encryption don't use them.

* Set the Windows Firewall, or whatever software firewall you use, to block all incoming probes. With Windows 7 or Vista set the network type to Public. With XP set the firewall for Don't allow exceptions.

»windows.microsoft.com/en ··· location

»technet.microsoft.com/en ··· 110.aspx

* In general practice safe surfing, ie. not going to questionable sites.

* If your really paranoid use a free service like BestFreeVPN, or similar service, to block probes while at public hotspots. Keep in mind everything past the BestFreeVPN, or similar service servers, is unencrypted.

»www.bestfreevpn.com

* If your really really paranoid setup and use a home or office VPN or SSH server.

Searches on these forums for similar threads...

»/nsear ··· 90445014

»/nsear ··· 83681250