how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

OldschoolDSL
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Indian Orchard, MA

Please help a complete noob (thanks in advance)

This should be within the web hosting forum, but I believe I will get better help here (and quicker replies).

I'm trying to setup a VPS Server remotely. Using Linux remotely is not as easy as configuring it locally. I've tried Debian and CentOS, but continue to get stuck. I assume mostly because I do not know how to edit files remotely through a DOS prompt (on Linux). The general idea is to get Apache or Nginx, with full HTTP, FTP, MySQL, and PHP Support and then install a control panel. Nothing fancy.

I think its kind of funny that you can find "step by step" instructions for Windows, but if you're using a Unix system... It sucks to be a noob.

As far as I am aware... I have CentOS all updated (yum update) and I can see the Apache Test Page. I have installed the basic Apache, MySQL, & PHP setup. All I need to do is configure FTP Server.

Anyone willing to help (please)?
--
HP Pavilion a6750f (tweaked)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 * Mac OS Snow Leopard
»www.sociallyuncensored.com

Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO
kudos:4
Reviews:
·VOIPO
There is no DOS prompt on your UNIX-like OS—it’s known as a CLI/shell and it’s one of this OS’s strong suites/why it is so easy to configure a UNIX-like OS remotely. I HIGHLY recommend you learn vi—it’s usually installed by default on UNIX/UNIX-like OSs—and learn where the important configuration files are. If you must use a control panel-type program—I HIGHLY recommend not using one, particularly due to their extremely poor security track records and the fact that you learn nothing from using them—install it and configure it first as you can then use its PHD (Push Here Dummy) interface to configure the rest of your box.

OldschoolDSL
Premium
Indian Orchard, MA
said by Bink:

There is no DOS prompt on your UNIX-like OS—it’s known as a CLI/shell and it’s one of this OS’s strong suites/why it is so easy to configure a UNIX-like OS remotely. I HIGHLY recommend you learn vi—it’s usually installed by default on UNIX/UNIX-like OSs—and learn where the important configuration files are. If you must use a control panel-type program—I HIGHLY recommend not using one, particularly due to their extremely poor security track records and the fact that you learn nothing from using them—install it and configure it first as you can then use its PHD (Push Here Dummy) interface to configure the rest of your box.

It's kind of the plan... Installed a Control Panel to get things quickly setup and then learn the most I can. All I need to do for now though, is for someone to please give me step by steps on how to setup the FTP Server.

I've Google'd how, but keep finding steps where I would need to edit a few files. As I'm doing this remotely, I'm not sure how to do that... ie.. No FTP to even get to the file.
--

Drunkula
Premium
join:2000-06-12
Denton, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to OldschoolDSL
Using VI is not easy for noobs (still one of my favorite editors, though). Might try either joe [or is it jed? I foget!] or nano editors instead if they're present.
--
There are 10 types of people that understand binary numbers. Those that do - and those that do not...

OldschoolDSL
Premium
Indian Orchard, MA
said by Drunkula:

Using VI is not easy for noobs (still one of my favorite editors, though). Might try either joe [or is it jed? I foget!] or nano editors instead if they're present.

Keep in mind I'm doing this all through SSH. So how would I load VI?
--

OldschoolDSL
Premium
Indian Orchard, MA
reply to Drunkula
said by Drunkula:

I have Nano. Anyone willing to get me an idea on how to open, close, save?
--

grunze510

join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC
kudos:1
No need, it's really simple.

Type (sudo (if necessary)) nano (whatever file you want to open).

The rest is in the application itself and it includes some basic help for the key combos. They're mostly with the control key, but some use alt.

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6
reply to OldschoolDSL
VI is already installed, I'm sure. Invoke it or nano with vi enter or nano enter.

In nano, the commands are listed at the bottom of the screen for basic functions such as saving, closing, etc.

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 recommendation

reply to OldschoolDSL
It is worth learning to use vi. What you will need, to get started, is a "vi cheat sheet". (Google for that, and you'll find some that you can print and keep handy).

I would normally do: vi filename

and that works fine over ssh.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 11.3; firefox 3.6.13

BBBanditRuR
Dingbits

join:2009-06-02
Parachute, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to OldschoolDSL
Lots of good info from the previous posts, so stick to that. If you're using SSH that equals sitting at the computer itself, so all commands should work just fine, just don't lock yourself out (shutting off the firewall for example , I've done that...)

The home page for the distro usually has excellent documentation on installing servers. For CentOS (Red Hat)

Apache
»www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Deplo ··· tpd.html

FTP
»www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Deplo ··· ftp.html

and

»www.cyberciti.biz/tips/rhel-fedo ··· ion.html

For what it is worth, if you get things going alright, I'd also check out Webmin (»www.webmin.com/) for a web based control panel. I tend to keep things simple, and just use SSH to administer a server, but I have found webmin to be very nice for starting out running a system remotely. It has a decent file manager, which you can edit files directly without getting into vi or nano (although I highly recommend working with vi) as well as configuring the individual services installed on the system.

firephoto
We the people
Premium
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA
reply to OldschoolDSL
If you don't know the defaults it doesn't hurt to use "nano -w" so you don't wrap and save a file with long lines by accident.
--
Say no to JAMS!

OldschoolDSL
Premium
Indian Orchard, MA
reply to No_Strings
said by No_Strings:

VI is already installed, I'm sure. Invoke it or nano with vi enter or nano enter.

In nano, the commands are listed at the bottom of the screen for basic functions such as saving, closing, etc.

I do not think the command work or display right in nano

^W for example. So I need to press ^ and W? All that did was leave a ^W in my text file.
--

grunze510

join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC
kudos:1
said by OldschoolDSL:

said by No_Strings:

^W for example. So I need to press ^ and W? All that did was leave a ^W in my text file.

"^" means control. I think "Meta" is the alt key, and "Super" means the Windows key or the Apple keyboard's command key. I agree, it's not obvious.

Bry

join:2008-12-31
Canada

1 recommendation

reply to OldschoolDSL
It's obvious, except to the obviously inept, you should not be maintaining a server, running any OS.

Pay someone.

-Bry.
--
Sometimes I'm rude, this is known.

OldschoolDSL
Premium
Indian Orchard, MA
reply to grunze510
said by grunze510:

said by OldschoolDSL:

said by No_Strings:

"^" means control. I think "Meta" is the alt key, and "Super" means the Windows key or the Apple keyboard's command key. I agree, it's not obvious.

So it's either the Ctrl key. Now we're getting some where.

FTP is the only thing I need to configure. I'm mostly keeping default setting on everything (for now). I just need to control panel installed as a guide... Once that's done.... It's party time. lol
--

OldschoolDSL
Premium
Indian Orchard, MA
reply to Bry
said by Bry:

It's obvious, except to the obviously inept, you should not be maintaining a server, running any OS.

Pay someone.

-Bry.

For someone else needs... No.
For my own needs.... I'll do.

I'm use to running this with a control panel, but it's cheaper to order a VPS without one.

Almost there. Not bad for a noob.
--

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
reply to Bry
said by Bry:

Pay someone.

-Bry.

Yeah, how dare this guy actually want to learn something?
Sheesh.
--
~ Project Hope ~

OldschoolDSL
Premium
Indian Orchard, MA
said by EUS:

said by Bry:

Pay someone.

-Bry.

Yeah, how dare this guy actually want to learn something?
Sheesh.

I tried not to say anything... But it is a fine example as to why many Windows Users do not try so hard or often to cross over, even when they are tired of Windows.

It's not easy to be noob, when the general community (not all, but many)... All take the same status as this guy. As if I was a dirt stain on the idea that is Linux, for not knowing any better. LOL

Thanks for the support and understanding EUS
--

OldschoolDSL
Premium
Indian Orchard, MA
reply to OldschoolDSL
Quick update:

Things are moving along...

I have successfully installed HyperVM with Xen

Now I'm just trying to figure out if I also need KolxoCP

(No one answer that. I'll figure it out on my own. I'm having fun learning)

Thanks for all the help.
--

C_Chipperson
Monster Rain
Premium
join:2009-01-17
kudos:3
reply to Bry
said by Bry:

Pay someone.

-Bry.

Typical Canadian response... LOL

jimkyle
Btrieve Guy
Premium
join:2002-10-20
Oklahoma City, OK
kudos:2
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest
reply to OldschoolDSL
I'm amazed that with all those replies suggesting that you learn to use vi (with which I'm in full agreement) nobody even mentioned the vitutor command. It's a learn-by-doing tutorial for vi, that is explicitly designed to teach the beginner, from scratch, how to use vi! Just type the command at a prompt, and follow its instructions.

I've discovered, too, that in their rush to "simplify" the process of converting from Windows to Linux, the developers at Ubuntu made their default configuration for vi behave somewhat differently from the way it works in every other distribution that I've tried in the past decade. Thank goodness they also made nano the default text editor for their most recent versions, so the different behavior of vi doesn't confuse too many newcomers!

Specifically, they supply "vim" (vi improved) rather than the real "vi" and then symlink "vi" to it with a modifier that removes the original compatibility between vim and vi. The result is that for someone already familiar with vi, the commands don't work as expected -- and for a newcomer, what's learned on this version won't be applicable to any other distribution.

Bottom line: if you're using Ubuntu or one of its close relatives, stick with nano. For a Red Hat related distribution, learn vi.
--
Jim Kyle

zacron
Premium
join:2008-11-26
canada
reply to C_Chipperson
said by C_Chipperson:

said by Bry:

Pay someone.

-Bry.

Typical Canadian response... LOL

I personally take offense to that. I am a Canadian and I wouldn't dare hire anyone to do something I can do with Ducktape and Old Wheels at Possum Lodge :P haha
--
"Don't be dense, use common sense"