Premium Member
join:2003-07-31
Belton, TX

AnClar to MyDogHsFleas

Premium Member

to MyDogHsFleas

Re: Ubee DDW3611 Bridge Mode??

said by MyDogHsFleas:

There's a lot of people on here who jump straight to "Put it in bridge mode! The UBEE router/WiFi sucks!" as a solution. It ain't so, it's perfectly adequate and you can run a completely good network with the Ubee in standard router mode. There's lots of other things in home networks that can mess up your access.

That's very true, but there are also a fair number of people who have perfectly fine home network setups when using older (DOCSIS2 or earlier) h/w that acts only as a modem, and not as another router. Many folks do not understand the implications of double NATting or IP flood detection when transitioning to h/w that functions as a router in front of their already installed router, as well as a modem. For those people, switching to bridge mode is a quick and easy way to get them back up and running instead of removing their existing router and reconfiguring everything. I also agree that there is nothing wrong with the ubee's wifi or router functionality per se, but it can be confusing to people...including TWC field techs. The guy who brought me my ubee warned me that my speeds would probably drop because they did for every other ubee he'd installed for people who had home networks already set up. I just rolled my eyes, waited until he left and set my ubee in bridge mode in front of my router...no issues and speeds were as advertised.
Gothmog1065
join:2011-11-23

Gothmog1065 to Hatdude

to Hatdude
FYI you need to disable the primary network before/after turning on the bridging function in the Ubees. That will stop the wireless from broadcasting. Also, I've heard a lot of people complain about the Ubee routers, but were fine after bridging it into a modem. IF you have your own router, it's the way to go, TWC will pitch a fit if you try to mess in their routers.
MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX

MyDogHsFleas

Premium Member

I think the advice should be: if you already have a home network with a router you're happy with, and you're technically sophisticated, the easiest path forward is probably bridging the Ubee. If you are not technically sophisticated, or you don't have a router, go with a vanilla Ubee only setup. It's just easier and cheaper to have fewer boxes to deal with, and you get Time Warner support.

Personally I've had no problem with the Ubee and I'm technically sophisticated. The setup is a bit clunky but it seems to work fine and I've had no issues with performance. I used the WiFi for a while but I also have an Apple AirPort Extreme and it does dual band WiFi, so I use that as well. I had both running simultaneously on the same SSID so that devices would switch between the two, but my iPad seemed to have trouble with that switching (everything else was fine), it would drop connectivity -- this seems to be a common problem among iPad users. So I turned off the WiFi on the Ubee but kept it in NAT mode so it could service my wired devices.
kimuradragon
join:2010-08-31
Syracuse, NY

kimuradragon to Hatdude

to Hatdude
Hi All - thanks so much for all the great information! After TWC in Syracuse did the install I was able to switch to Bridge mode no problem. Also, by disabling the primary network first no broadcasting from the ubee. Airport Extreme is working great with all devices (iMac, PS3, iPhones). Thank you!

91862239 (banned)
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX

91862239 (banned) to Hatdude

to Hatdude
hey how do you set the nat type on this ubee the xbox in the other room keeps reporting a moderate nat and the xbox i got says its open nat so how do i fix that ?

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium Member
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX

CptGemini

Premium Member

I would assume you would need to be sure UPNP is enabled on it. Now I have mine in bridge mode (using own router) so I can't login to find it for you
morey v
join:2011-11-28
Apopka, FL

morey v to 91862239

to 91862239
said by 91862239:

hey how do you set the nat type on this ubee the xbox in the other room keeps reporting a moderate nat and the xbox i got says its open nat so how do i fix that ?

DelmarPip,

I had the same issue and after searching for a few days with no results i stumbled onto this thread. Nothing I tried worked so I ended up turning the Ubee into a bridge. Doing this solved my Moderate NAT issues.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium Member
Corpus Christi, TX

CptGemini

Premium Member

said by morey v:

DelmarPip,

I had the same issue and after searching for a few days with no results i stumbled onto this thread. Nothing I tried worked so I ended up turning the Ubee into a bridge. Doing this solved my Moderate NAT issues.

That would only work if he had one xbox
91862239 (banned)
Brownsville, TX

91862239 (banned) to Hatdude

to Hatdude
so the only fix for moderate NAT is put it in bridge mode doesn't it have a page to set up the NAT to always be open ?
ajiva
join:2003-12-10
Austin, TX

ajiva to AnClar

to AnClar

Re: Ubee DDW3611 Bridge Mode RoadRunner Austin TX public routabl

said by AnClar:

As has been posted earlier here and elsewhere, for the ubee DDW3611 on TWC in Texas, you can get to the master login and make visible all the pages that are hidden in user login mode, the Master login is:

Have you had issues where the wireless settings get lost when the router loses power?

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium Member
Corpus Christi, TX

CptGemini to 91862239

Premium Member

to 91862239

Re: Ubee DDW3611 Bridge Mode??

said by 91862239:

so the only fix for moderate NAT is put it in bridge mode doesn't it have a page to set up the NAT to always be open ?

Make sure UPNP is enabled on it, that is probably what is causing the moderate nat issues you're having. If anything else theres always running your own router and having the ubee in bridge mode.
91862239 (banned)
Brownsville, TX

91862239 (banned)

UPNP was enabled after that it started going to strict nat i think its going bad i didnt have time to exchange it but i ll do it monday rebooting it now results in it takin forever to get back online

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium Member
Corpus Christi, TX

CptGemini

Premium Member

said by 91862239:

rebooting it now results in it takin forever to get back online

Yea thats just how it is I think because mine is that way too sometimes.

HWoodruff
@unc.edu

HWoodruff to Hatdude

Anon

to Hatdude
What is needed to get TWC to push a firmware update to the Ubee? Is this a Level 3 tech thing? Also, had anyone ever seen upstream bonding? My was bonded on up and down when I first got it here in Durham but now only bonds downstream on 30 - 5 plan.
MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
Austin, TX

MyDogHsFleas

Premium Member

re "push a firmware update": is there something specific you need? I believe firmware updates are done automatically when TWC deems it appropriate.

re upstream bonding: this just depends on how you are provisioned on your local network. If they want to bond some upstream channels they can. Is there a problem you're trying to solve or are you just curious about it?
91862239 (banned)
Brownsville, TX

91862239 (banned)

i need a firmware that enables me to completely shut off the wifi on this ubee
TWCdude
join:2006-04-28
San Antonio, TX

TWCdude

said by 91862239:

Call in and ask to remove the wireless codes from your acct once thats done just reboot the modem and no more wireless.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium Member
Corpus Christi, TX

CptGemini to 91862239

Premium Member

to 91862239
Click for full size
said by 91862239:

Have you tried to disable it in the settings? I have wireless on our account due to the fact we have the all the best package so wireless home networking is part of it. I have disabled the wireless in the settings on mine and it stays off.

»192.168.100.1/wifiPrimar ··· work.asp - for bridge mode
»192.168.0.1/wifiPrimaryN ··· work.asp
mrgregory29
join:2011-12-07

mrgregory29 to TWCdude

to TWCdude
Hello. Stumbled across this forum. Hopign I can get some help. I have a Ubee Router and I'm trying to disable my SSID broadcasting. When I go to wireless primary network->closed network->disabled. It won't let me enable it. How can I fix this? Thanks in advance.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium Member
Corpus Christi, TX

CptGemini

Premium Member

That is probably because you don't have wireless home networking on your account.
mrgregory29

mrgregory29

Hmmmmm ok. So I can not have this and still have a network setup cause I have multiple laptops/desktops hooked up to my network.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium Member
Corpus Christi, TX

CptGemini

Premium Member

I would suggest calling in and asking if you do have it on your account or not. I don't know how much extra it is since its included in our package. If you live in Texas TWCdude can help you or if you live in Western NY then hobgoblin can help you there otherwise you would have to call in.
mrgregory29

mrgregory29

Ok thanks. Yea I live in San Antonio. First time having a Ubee Router.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium Member
Corpus Christi, TX

CptGemini

Premium Member

Perfect then, send a pm to TWCdude with the telephone number and name on your account and he will look in to it for you. Might want to give a brief explanation just in case he doesnt see your post in this thread. If I was in San Antonio I could help you personally, I have some family that lives on the Northeast side off of perrin beitel not too far from that new freeway they put in a few years ago.
mrgregory29

mrgregory29

I'm on the NE side myself. That's not far from me. Just moved here. I live off of 1604 and Kittyhawk.

Thanks for the info
MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
Austin, TX

MyDogHsFleas to mrgregory29

Premium Member

to mrgregory29
As a side note, if you are thinking disabling SSID broadcast will increase your security, it doesn't. A wardriver can trivially find your wifi and do whatever attacks they are going to do. The way to have good security is to use WPA2/AES and have a strong passphrase.
MetalMike
join:2011-09-24

MetalMike to Hatdude

to Hatdude
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Okay. I am having a tech come out tomorrow and see if they can repair my internet. I don't seem to be getting good signal strength and my speeds are well below what I'm supposed to be promised for the RR Extreme 30/5 tier.

I've posted in here before (even this very thread) about having issues with speed. I was hoping it would be bridge mode that might solve my problems since I currently have my Ubee-DDW3611 & Linksys-e2500 in NAT mode. As I understood, bridge mode won't do a thing to help my speeds.

What I need help with is explaining to the tech guy what exactly I need to point him to so I can get this fixed once and for all. I'm going to post screen-shots of my Ubee interface so someone here might be able to point something out to me.

Ever since I've had the Extreme installed, it's been nowhere near advertised speeds. (1.3MB/sec down; .1MB/sec up.) From what I gather, 30Mb/sec = 3.75MB/sec down; 5Mb/sec = 0.625 MB/sec up. I understand that I won't constantly get these speeds (time of day; congestion on my network; etc.), but I also understand that I'm definitely not getting my money's worth paying for Extreme. When I had RR Turbo, I would consistently get my advertised speed (2MB/sec down; .1MB/sec up).

If this does not work out with the extreme tier, I'm afraid I'll have to downgrade back to Turbo. It's unfortunate; Extreme showed promise yet has been more of a pain in the neck.

If someone could please identify anything from my screen-shots, I would greatly appreciate it. (I can also post more if needed.)

Thank you.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium Member
Corpus Christi, TX

CptGemini

Premium Member

Your signals both up and down are way out of spec, they are just awful. I am surprised you are even able to stay connected with your downstream signals that high. In the mean time double check your cables behind the modem and on all your other equipment and make sure they are tight, also remove any splitters if you can. I know signals can be that high when using a low quality cable too which is why I have stuck with not buying any and using what TW provides.
MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
Austin, TX

1 edit

MyDogHsFleas to MetalMike

Premium Member

to MetalMike
You are not provisioned for Extreme 30/5 service. You are provisioned for 10/1 service. So you are getting just about what you are provisioned for. You need to just call into support and tell them that your provisioning is wrong for the service you are paying for.

Take a look at your Operation Configuration page. Max download is 10240000 that's 10 megabits. Max upload is 1024000 that's 1 megabit. I have Extreme and my max download is 32256000 bps and max upload is 5376000 bps. That's 30/5.

First I would try rebooting my Ubee and see if that fixes it. If support doesn't help you get with the support folks here.
MyDogHsFleas

MyDogHsFleas to CptGemini

Premium Member

to CptGemini
Gemini you are also correct that the connections are bad so a tech visit is in order. Maybe it's not that he's provisioned wrong, maybe it's that 10 megabits is all the connection will tolerate.

My numbers on power level are in the -6.x range and RxMER in the 40-41 range. His are way, way worse.