Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cruisencode

join:2000-09-16
Ocoee, FL
reply to MyDogHsFleas

Re: Ubee DDW3611 Bridge Mode??

In all fairness, I never "blamed" the ISP. I was simply here to find a solution and I did.

nephipower

join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX

said by cruisencode:

In all fairness, I never "blamed" the ISP. I was simply here to find a solution and I did.

Yeah, I agree you never did blame the ISP. I do agree that it happens a lot that people blame the ISP when they need to point the finger at themselves. However, in this situation i think someone got a little too trigger happy.

MyDogHsFleas
Premium
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to cruisencode

Perhaps "blame" was a stronger word than I meant. What I am saying is that when troubleshooting a networking issue, your priority should be to look at your home network first. Because that's probably where the problem is. I see lots of posts saying things like "(something on the ISP side) has a problem" and you have to go through the process of saying "why do you think so, what have you tried, etc." and most of the time you find out they really didn't do what the doctors call a differential diagnosis, they just leaped to a conclusion, which turns out to be wrong, because the problem is really on their side.

The best way to figure out if your ISP is really causing a problem vs. your network is to eliminate your network completely and see if you can reproduce the problem. e.g, plug your computer directly into the cable modem or whatever. Then when you see, hey, that works OK, it gives you a starting point to track down your home network problem.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX
kudos:6

Lets keep things on topic here shall we? The conversation some of you are having is starting to become a bit OT.
--
»www.akaskriller.com - Your ultimate source for all android needs.

MyDogHsFleas
Premium
Austin, TX

OK here you go: People if you think your Ubee DDW3611 is screwing you in some way, look at your own network first, because that's probably where the problem is.

Ncguy

join:2011-07-12
Greensboro, NC
reply to Hatdude

I've got a DDW3611, 30/5, fragmented IP disable, IP flood disable, Firewall disable.

I've got 3 AP's (ch 1,6,11). I don't use the wireless on the ubee since its in a room that isolates the signal.

My wired speed tests are rock solid 30/5. My wireless test are 20-30 down and 5 up when they work. Periodically they lose connection, especially in the middle of a speed test, and require a new connection to start working again. They other thing that's odd is that the wired connections take a while to establish when the PC's have been off or asleep.

Two of the AP's are trendnet and the third is a brand new D-link DIR-645 configured as a an AP. The connection losses are the same on all three AP's.

The UBee isn't bridged yet but I'm seriously considering it because I just dont know what else to try. I'm assuming, since the wired units get a consistent 30/5 in the speed tests that its probably not the connection.

Any thoughts?

MyDogHsFleas
Premium
Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Mediacom

My thought is you need to run tests that isolate the problem to a particular segment or component of your network.

You don't really give much real information.

When you say "periodically they lose connection" who is "they"? where is the connection being lost?

Also when you say "take a while" what is a while? And what part of the connection process is taking that time? Link established? IP address from DHCP?

and the obvious.. have you tried recycling your Ubee and routers/APs, have you tried testing/replacing cables, etc.

Ncguy

Greensboro, NC

When I say "they" I mean all of my wireless devices periodically lose their connection. The wired devices don't lose connection but they take about 3-5 seconds before they get initial internet access. That didn't happen prior to the ubee.

I'm not sure what is taking the time to connect. I'm not even sure if I have the tools to make that determination.

Yes, everything has been recycled and that doesn't help.

As far as cables go, what cables? If all of my wired devices get steady speed test once they get connected then that kind of rules out cables doesn't it? I guess it also rules out the TW piece? It wouldn't be an access point cable unless all three APs had bad cables. They are all on separate runs.

So to sum it up, the wired devices take a few seconds to initially connect to the internet but then produce reliable speed tests. The wireless devices periodically lose their connections. Sometimes its constant and other times its sporadic.

I hate to admit it but my overall access (wired/wireless) seemed more reliable and responsive before I upgraded to the 30/5. It just didn't have the raw speed. It also seems like a more to have to rule out when things don't go well.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX
kudos:6

disable the wifi in the ubee and your problem just might go away or even bridge it
--
»www.akaskriller.com - Your ultimate source for all android needs.

Ncguy

Greensboro, NC

The Ubee wifi has been turned off all along. Guesd bridging is next.

MyDogHsFleas
Premium
Austin, TX

what are you going to use for a NAT/DHCP router if you bridge the Ubee?

Ncguy

Greensboro, NC

Thinking about a netgear N600

mzone

@rr.com
reply to Ncguy

Hey, I've got this same issue. Just sent my own post about it. I can't figure it out. Looking at going the bridging route, as that's what I used to have before I got the Ubee from TWC, using an Apple Airport Extreme, but if I can simply fix the problem I'd rather just do that as the physical network configuration is simpler.

/mike