MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX

MyDogHsFleas to CptGemini

Premium Member

to CptGemini

Re: Ubee DDW3611 Bridge Mode??

Well this is a really funky, extremely poorly documented, not very usable, powerful DOCSIS 3.0 modem/wifi router.

Some stuff I've learned after strugging with this thing most of today: (note I did NOT want to put it in bridge mode)

-- The Ethernet ports are 10/100/1000. Nice.
-- The router works on both the 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz bands, but not at the same time, you have to pick one or the other. Aaaargh.
-- The default login is user/user, you should change the PW ASAP.
-- There is an admin login but I don't know what it is.
-- You can get to the operational mode setting to set bridged mode with the URL quoted above, »192.168.0.1/TlModeChange.asp, if it doesn't work the first time try rebooting the router, logging in, and trying it again. Sometimes this thing depends on the phase of the moon.
-- Once you're in bridged mode, get to the router's Web page at 192.168.100.1.
-- Trying to set up the wireless is really funky. If you don't do things in exactly the right order, it changes "enabled" to "disabled" on the primary network page when you hit "apply". I really don't know how to make this work reliably. When this happens I simply reset the wireless settings, then change things one at a time and apply them, and it seems to work. Also you have to disable WPA before you enable WPA2. This UI is terrible.
-- There is apparently no way to log off.
-- When you forward ports, you have to do it by IP address. Also leave the public IP at 0.0.0.0, this is apparently set up for multiple static IP support. Also you must uncheck WAN Blocking on the Options page or port forwarding doesn't have any effect.
-- I had to set up one box with a Static Lease DHCP address. This seemed to work in an off again-on again way. First, you have to assign an IP address in the DHCP range, which is not how many routers work. Second, when you do assign one, then get that IP address from DHCP, for some reason the DNS servers don't work for 5 or 10 minutes, even though you can ping them. Very weird. Anyway just give it some time, reboot things a few times, and eventually it'll start working.

If I think of anything else I'll post again.

Geez, if a Linksys router is a college freshman art project, then the Apple Airport is a Matisse, and this Ubee thing is a kindergarten fingerpaint exercise. But the hardware seems pretty solid.
SinNombre
join:2004-09-16
Charlotte, NC

1 edit

SinNombre to Thanks

to Thanks
thanks - just got mine setup in charlotte, NC.

Wanted to get my Cisco 1811 working in bridge mode, and these Tools options are not available unless u go to this link directly.

No user/ id to login for that other than the default.

thank you!
VisualCSharp
join:2004-11-04
Austin, TX

1 edit

VisualCSharp to MyDogHsFleas

to MyDogHsFleas
I recently switched from U-verse to TWC here in Austin and got this Ubee DDW3611 modem. I agree the UI is terrible. I can't seem to enable the wireless primary network. Every time I click apply it changes to Disabled.

Has anyone figured out a way around this?

EDIT: I figured it out. Go to the Radio page and click the Restore Defaults button. Once I did that, the primary network became enabled.

EDIT: Anyone noticed that DNS resolution seems to be damn slow with either this modem or TWC's DNS servers? Unfortunately the modem doesn't let you change DNS servers.
TWCdude
join:2006-04-28
San Antonio, TX

TWCdude

You need to call in to add some codes to your acct to get the wireless to work eventually your wireless will go off again if you dont get those codes.

Also the slow browse might be the firewall try disabling it and see what happens.
BackwoodsNC
join:2011-03-16
King, NC

2 recommendations

BackwoodsNC to Hatdude

to Hatdude
Master credentials
User: Last eight of ubee mac address
Password: c0nf1gur3m3
MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
Austin, TX

MyDogHsFleas to TWCdude

Premium Member

to TWCdude
said by TWCdude:

You need to call in to add some codes to your acct to get the wireless to work eventually your wireless will go off again if you dont get those codes.

What he said. I had this exact problem and it baffled me until the tech came in to replace the modem and called someone in support who actually knew what they were doing and they added the codes to my account to enable wireless. Until you do that, the modem will run wireless for a while, then go back to the home base and realize you are "not entitled", and shut it off.

When you get the entitlement, you'll see two MAC addresses on your TWC services web page (the one you login to on the Internet).
crensmeyer
join:2011-06-19

crensmeyer

Had my TWC Signature Home installed here in San Antonio, TX for about a week now. I've tried every which way possible to set my Cicso E3000 up behind it after putting it in Bridge mode, but can't get out on the Internet. I finally broke down and set my E3000 up for wireless only and am letting the DDW3611 handle all routing (disabled wireless). Can anyone tell me what settings I need to make on the E3000 to get Bridge mode to work from the Ubee and then have my E3000 handle all routing? Thanks in advance!

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium Member
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX

CptGemini

Premium Member

Once you set bridge mode on the ubee you will probably have to hard reset your router and also plug it into port number one on the ubee and do not have anything else plugged in to it at the time
crensmeyer
join:2011-06-19

crensmeyer

Thanks CptGemini, That worked like a charm. I was reading way to much into the process to include putting my E3000 "behind" the modem by assigning it an IP of 192.168.100.2. Also tried cloning the MAC and a host of other configurations. Appreciate the help!

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium Member
Corpus Christi, TX

CptGemini

Premium Member

You don't need to worry about changing anything on the gateway once its in bridge mode aside from a hard reset of your router thats about it. Also if all you ever have is one computer you can connect to the gateway via wireless and not have to plug it in to port 1.

Balla
@rr.com

Balla to crensmeyer

Anon

to crensmeyer
I have the same Linksys 3000 install behind the ubee. I left the Ubee in NAT mode like when they installed it. The linksys needs to be set for dhcp and the linksys WAN should be plugged into a port on the Ubee. So my linksys WAN grabbed a 192.168.0.3 external address. And interally (through linksys wireless) its handing out 192.168.1.x addresses. On the Ubee I then made 192.168.0.3(WAN IP for Linksys) in the dmz so it will pass traffic to it. Or you can port forward all ports to the 192.168.0.3.

This has worked well for me so far besides having a pc plugged into the Ubee switch and not being able to the the 192.168.1.x network. But through the linksys you can access both 192.168.1.x and 192.168.0.x networks.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium Member
Corpus Christi, TX

CptGemini

Premium Member

said by Balla :

I have the same Linksys 3000 install behind the ubee. I left the Ubee in NAT mode like when they installed it. The linksys needs to be set for dhcp and the linksys WAN should be plugged into a port on the Ubee. So my linksys WAN grabbed a 192.168.0.3 external address. And interally (through linksys wireless) its handing out 192.168.1.x addresses. On the Ubee I then made 192.168.0.3(WAN IP for Linksys) in the dmz so it will pass traffic to it. Or you can port forward all ports to the 192.168.0.3.

This has worked well for me so far besides having a pc plugged into the Ubee switch and not being able to the the 192.168.1.x network. But through the linksys you can access both 192.168.1.x and 192.168.0.x networks.

Yea well though that will probably work its not too good of an idea because you are still going through the router. Setting it to bridge mode is much simpler and overall easier to do. And you don't have to worry about the gateway router interfering with anything.

Dekoh
@rr.com

Dekoh to Hatdude

Anon

to Hatdude

Re: Ubee DDW3611 Bridge Mode?? - Central Florida

I want to use the DDW3611 as the primary and my Linksys E2000 (with DD-WRT) as a client bridge. Do I just enable the "bridging" option on the ubee and and "client bridge" on the Linksys? Then set the Linksys local IP and subnet as the IP set used on the ubee?

Thanks.

SunnysGlimps
join:2007-01-25
Leander, TX

SunnysGlimps to Balla

to Balla

said by Balla :

I agree with CptGemini and have had personal experience with this.

I did exactly as you are saying but had a TON of issues/latency while browsing the web whether directly plugged into the LAN or on WIFI. It seemed like there were dropped packets or DNS resolution was really slowed. Speedtest.net still reported great speeds and I was fine while downloading a file but browsing the web was horrible. I entered DNS directly into my TCP/IP settings but it made no difference.

I then went to bridge mode and everything works perfect now and web pages load instantaneous.
SunnysGlimps

SunnysGlimps to Dekoh

to Dekoh

said by Dekoh :

I want to use the DDW3611 as the primary and my Linksys E2000 (with DD-WRT) as a client bridge. Do I just enable the "bridging" option on the ubee and and "client bridge" on the Linksys? Then set the Linksys local IP and subnet as the IP set used on the ubee?

You enable the bridge option on the Ubee and set your Linksys to Automatic IP/DHCP. It will automatically obtain the IP from the Ubee and issue addresses to computers on your network. Once the Ubee is in bridge mode, it doesn't care about the subnet or address range on the Linksys. The Linksys is completely in charge of the LAN.

Dekoh
@rr.com

Dekoh

Anon

Will that affect my primary PC plugged into the ubee?

My HW config is PC1 is hardwired to ubee ddw3611 where cable connection is located, PC2 through PC4 is hardwired to linksys e2000 on other side of home. ubee and linksys connect wirelessly.

So far, had no issue with PC1 and ubee getting to internet but haven't been successful getting linksys e2000 to the internet vie ubee.

I will try your suggestion.

TWCdude
join:2006-04-28
San Antonio, TX

TWCdude

are you just using the linksys as a access point for wireless connections? if you are disable the dhcp and hard code a ip address like 192.168.0.50 so you can mange it if you need to. Hook up the ethernet to lan 1. Name the ssid and password the same as the ubee and your pcs will auto connect to the ap with the best signal. That's how I have it set at my since its a long rectangle shape and the office and bedrooms are in opposite areas
MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
Austin, TX

MyDogHsFleas

Premium Member

That is exactly what I do with my Apple extreme base station. Just give it the same SSID and pw as the Ubee and your devices will happily roam. I also take the base station with me on trips, just unplug and go, home wifi still up and running fine for wife's iPhone over the Ubee. Sweet setup. And don't forget about Apple when shopping for a router. It's a really nice box.
andromeda3
join:2010-07-27
Wake Forest, NC

andromeda3 to Hatdude

to Hatdude

I had TWC install yesterday new modem, Ubee DDW3611 in NAT mode, so I have removed my wireless router. Everything is OK, except that my ROKU cannot connect wirelessly any longer.
Should I put Ubee into bridge mode and put back my E3000?
Also, I am not getting 30Mbps download speeds, more like 15-20, the same as with Turbo, but I am getting 5 Mbps upstream, which makes me happy.
MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
Austin, TX

MyDogHsFleas

Premium Member

Can any device connect via wifi?

Did you turn on the 5ghz option ?

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium Member
Corpus Christi, TX

CptGemini to andromeda3

Premium Member

to andromeda3
said by andromeda3:

I had TWC install yesterday new modem, Ubee DDW3611 in NAT mode, so I have removed my wireless router. Everything is OK, except that my ROKU cannot connect wirelessly any longer.
Should I put Ubee into bridge mode and put back my E3000?
Also, I am not getting 30Mbps download speeds, more like 15-20, the same as with Turbo, but I am getting 5 Mbps upstream, which makes me happy.

I am guessing its the encryption mode they set it to that your device is not compatible with. They might have it set to wep or something I would suggest WPA for compatibility with some older devices.

Dekoh
@rr.com

Dekoh to TWCdude

Anon

to TWCdude

Maybe I didn't explain that well enough or I am misunderstanding the answers.

Before I upgraded to BHN Lightning on July 4 (yes, they actually came out and installed that day), I had four PCs in my network setup as followed under the Turbo plan:

1. Cable Modem to Linksys E2000 via CAT5 to Internet WAN port
2. E2000 to PC1 via CAT5 to LAN port 1 /ethernet card
3. E2000 to PC2 via wireless connection to Linksys 802.11g PCI card in PC2
4. PC2 to D-Link Fast Ethernet Switch DSS 5+ via CAT5 to ethernet card/LAN port 1
5. D-Link Switch to PC3 and PC4 via CAT5 to LAN ports 2 & 3/ethernet cards, respectively

All four PCs worked fine with the Internet except the weakest link was the wireless connection between E2000 and PC2 due to distance and obstructions for the most part.

After I upgraded to Lightning and I received the Ubee DDW3611 to replace my E2000 as the primary wireless router, I wanted to replace my Linksys PCI card and D-Link switch for PCs 2 to 4 with E2000 since I figured the will gain me a stronger wireless network using 802.11n. The planned configuration is as follows:

A. Ubee to PC1 via CAT5
B. Ubee to E2000 via wireless connection
C. E2000 to PC2, PC3 and PC4 via CAT5

Most likely, I am overthinking the configuration and I cannot seem to get the E2000 to pick up the wireless connection to the Ubee.

It may be irrelevant but all my PCs are using Windows 7 Utimate SP1.

As a side note, all my other wireless devices connect to the Ubee with no problems.

So the bottom line is I just want the E2000 to connect wirelessly to the Ubee. Due to distance and placement, it would be very difficult to connect them via CAT5.

Thanks for your patience and help as I work through this configuration.
Dekoh

Dekoh to MyDogHsFleas

Anon

to MyDogHsFleas
In case my other, longer post doesn't show. I cannot get the Linksys E2000 to connect wirelessly to the Ubee DDW3611. They are too far apart to connect with CAT5, so physical connection is not feasible. I've tried the several suggestions offered but I must be missing/overlooking something.
andromeda3
join:2010-07-27
Wake Forest, NC

andromeda3 to CptGemini

to CptGemini

Yep, that was it! I enabled WPA2-PSK encryption and ROKU was able to connect Thank you for the help.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium Member
Corpus Christi, TX

CptGemini to Dekoh

Premium Member

to Dekoh

said by Dekoh :

In case my other, longer post doesn't show. I cannot get the Linksys E2000 to connect wirelessly to the Ubee DDW3611. They are too far apart to connect with CAT5, so physical connection is not feasible. I've tried the several suggestions offered but I must be missing/overlooking something.

It could be you don't have wireless home networking on your account or if you do have it your wireless cards/adapaters might be too old.

Dekoh
@myvzw.com

Dekoh

Anon

I do have wireless capabilities because all my devices worked with the e2000 before July 4 and all but e2000 works with the ubee afterwards. All my NICs in the 4 PCs are GB NICs with current drivers.

I do believe it is a configuration setting in the routers that I am having trouble with.

Thanks for the help though.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium Member
Corpus Christi, TX

CptGemini

Premium Member

»192.168.100.1 login and poke around in the wireless settings to see if its turned on

Dekoh
@rr.com

Dekoh

Anon

Click for full size
ubee wireless enabled
Click for full size
ubee wireless primary enabled
Yes, wireless is turned on.

Any other items I should check?

Thanks.
Dekoh

Dekoh

Anon

Well, it appears you were correct in one respect - thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I never checked my wireless capability of the ubee ddw3611 after I changed it to bridging. Even though all the settings show wireless enabled in bridging mode, I have no wireless connection. I have been working off a hardwired internet connection to the ubee for most of the posts since bridging mode. Anyway, I guess I need to try to call BHN customer service tier3 to get bridging to work or I need to try another configuration probably with the ubee in NAT mode.

Any more suggestions?
MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
Austin, TX

MyDogHsFleas

Premium Member

I have not tried bridging mode myself but I would think that wifi would not work at all in bridge mode. You would need your own wifi router. Anyone really know?