how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Balla

@rr.com
reply to crensmeyer

Re: Ubee DDW3611 Bridge Mode??

I have the same Linksys 3000 install behind the ubee. I left the Ubee in NAT mode like when they installed it. The linksys needs to be set for dhcp and the linksys WAN should be plugged into a port on the Ubee. So my linksys WAN grabbed a 192.168.0.3 external address. And interally (through linksys wireless) its handing out 192.168.1.x addresses. On the Ubee I then made 192.168.0.3(WAN IP for Linksys) in the dmz so it will pass traffic to it. Or you can port forward all ports to the 192.168.0.3.

This has worked well for me so far besides having a pc plugged into the Ubee switch and not being able to the the 192.168.1.x network. But through the linksys you can access both 192.168.1.x and 192.168.0.x networks.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX
kudos:6

said by Balla :

I have the same Linksys 3000 install behind the ubee. I left the Ubee in NAT mode like when they installed it. The linksys needs to be set for dhcp and the linksys WAN should be plugged into a port on the Ubee. So my linksys WAN grabbed a 192.168.0.3 external address. And interally (through linksys wireless) its handing out 192.168.1.x addresses. On the Ubee I then made 192.168.0.3(WAN IP for Linksys) in the dmz so it will pass traffic to it. Or you can port forward all ports to the 192.168.0.3.

This has worked well for me so far besides having a pc plugged into the Ubee switch and not being able to the the 192.168.1.x network. But through the linksys you can access both 192.168.1.x and 192.168.0.x networks.

Yea well though that will probably work its not too good of an idea because you are still going through the router. Setting it to bridge mode is much simpler and overall easier to do. And you don't have to worry about the gateway router interfering with anything.

Dekoh

@rr.com
reply to Hatdude

Re: Ubee DDW3611 Bridge Mode?? - Central Florida

I want to use the DDW3611 as the primary and my Linksys E2000 (with DD-WRT) as a client bridge. Do I just enable the "bridging" option on the ubee and and "client bridge" on the Linksys? Then set the Linksys local IP and subnet as the IP set used on the ubee?

Thanks.

SunnysGlimps

join:2007-01-25
Leander, TX
reply to Balla

said by Balla :

I agree with CptGemini and have had personal experience with this.

I did exactly as you are saying but had a TON of issues/latency while browsing the web whether directly plugged into the LAN or on WIFI. It seemed like there were dropped packets or DNS resolution was really slowed. Speedtest.net still reported great speeds and I was fine while downloading a file but browsing the web was horrible. I entered DNS directly into my TCP/IP settings but it made no difference.

I then went to bridge mode and everything works perfect now and web pages load instantaneous.

SunnysGlimps

join:2007-01-25
Leander, TX
reply to Dekoh

said by Dekoh :

I want to use the DDW3611 as the primary and my Linksys E2000 (with DD-WRT) as a client bridge. Do I just enable the "bridging" option on the ubee and and "client bridge" on the Linksys? Then set the Linksys local IP and subnet as the IP set used on the ubee?

You enable the bridge option on the Ubee and set your Linksys to Automatic IP/DHCP. It will automatically obtain the IP from the Ubee and issue addresses to computers on your network. Once the Ubee is in bridge mode, it doesn't care about the subnet or address range on the Linksys. The Linksys is completely in charge of the LAN.

Dekoh

@rr.com

Will that affect my primary PC plugged into the ubee?

My HW config is PC1 is hardwired to ubee ddw3611 where cable connection is located, PC2 through PC4 is hardwired to linksys e2000 on other side of home. ubee and linksys connect wirelessly.

So far, had no issue with PC1 and ubee getting to internet but haven't been successful getting linksys e2000 to the internet vie ubee.

I will try your suggestion.

TWCdude

join:2006-04-28
San Antonio, TX
kudos:23

are you just using the linksys as a access point for wireless connections? if you are disable the dhcp and hard code a ip address like 192.168.0.50 so you can mange it if you need to. Hook up the ethernet to lan 1. Name the ssid and password the same as the ubee and your pcs will auto connect to the ap with the best signal. That's how I have it set at my since its a long rectangle shape and the office and bedrooms are in opposite areas

MyDogHsFleas
Premium
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX
kudos:5

That is exactly what I do with my Apple extreme base station. Just give it the same SSID and pw as the Ubee and your devices will happily roam. I also take the base station with me on trips, just unplug and go, home wifi still up and running fine for wife's iPhone over the Ubee. Sweet setup. And don't forget about Apple when shopping for a router. It's a really nice box.

andromeda

join:2010-07-27
Wake Forest, NC
reply to Hatdude

I had TWC install yesterday new modem, Ubee DDW3611 in NAT mode, so I have removed my wireless router. Everything is OK, except that my ROKU cannot connect wirelessly any longer.
Should I put Ubee into bridge mode and put back my E3000?
Also, I am not getting 30Mbps download speeds, more like 15-20, the same as with Turbo, but I am getting 5 Mbps upstream, which makes me happy.

MyDogHsFleas
Premium
Austin, TX

Can any device connect via wifi?

Did you turn on the 5ghz option ?

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
Corpus Christi, TX
reply to andromeda

said by andromeda:

I had TWC install yesterday new modem, Ubee DDW3611 in NAT mode, so I have removed my wireless router. Everything is OK, except that my ROKU cannot connect wirelessly any longer.
Should I put Ubee into bridge mode and put back my E3000?
Also, I am not getting 30Mbps download speeds, more like 15-20, the same as with Turbo, but I am getting 5 Mbps upstream, which makes me happy.

I am guessing its the encryption mode they set it to that your device is not compatible with. They might have it set to wep or something I would suggest WPA for compatibility with some older devices.

Dekoh

@rr.com
reply to TWCdude

Maybe I didn't explain that well enough or I am misunderstanding the answers.

Before I upgraded to BHN Lightning on July 4 (yes, they actually came out and installed that day), I had four PCs in my network setup as followed under the Turbo plan:

1. Cable Modem to Linksys E2000 via CAT5 to Internet WAN port
2. E2000 to PC1 via CAT5 to LAN port 1 /ethernet card
3. E2000 to PC2 via wireless connection to Linksys 802.11g PCI card in PC2
4. PC2 to D-Link Fast Ethernet Switch DSS 5+ via CAT5 to ethernet card/LAN port 1
5. D-Link Switch to PC3 and PC4 via CAT5 to LAN ports 2 & 3/ethernet cards, respectively

All four PCs worked fine with the Internet except the weakest link was the wireless connection between E2000 and PC2 due to distance and obstructions for the most part.

After I upgraded to Lightning and I received the Ubee DDW3611 to replace my E2000 as the primary wireless router, I wanted to replace my Linksys PCI card and D-Link switch for PCs 2 to 4 with E2000 since I figured the will gain me a stronger wireless network using 802.11n. The planned configuration is as follows:

A. Ubee to PC1 via CAT5
B. Ubee to E2000 via wireless connection
C. E2000 to PC2, PC3 and PC4 via CAT5

Most likely, I am overthinking the configuration and I cannot seem to get the E2000 to pick up the wireless connection to the Ubee.

It may be irrelevant but all my PCs are using Windows 7 Utimate SP1.

As a side note, all my other wireless devices connect to the Ubee with no problems.

So the bottom line is I just want the E2000 to connect wirelessly to the Ubee. Due to distance and placement, it would be very difficult to connect them via CAT5.

Thanks for your patience and help as I work through this configuration.

Dekoh

@rr.com
reply to MyDogHsFleas

In case my other, longer post doesn't show. I cannot get the Linksys E2000 to connect wirelessly to the Ubee DDW3611. They are too far apart to connect with CAT5, so physical connection is not feasible. I've tried the several suggestions offered but I must be missing/overlooking something.

andromeda

join:2010-07-27
Wake Forest, NC
reply to CptGemini

Yep, that was it! I enabled WPA2-PSK encryption and ROKU was able to connect Thank you for the help.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
Corpus Christi, TX
reply to Dekoh

said by Dekoh :

In case my other, longer post doesn't show. I cannot get the Linksys E2000 to connect wirelessly to the Ubee DDW3611. They are too far apart to connect with CAT5, so physical connection is not feasible. I've tried the several suggestions offered but I must be missing/overlooking something.

It could be you don't have wireless home networking on your account or if you do have it your wireless cards/adapaters might be too old.

Dekoh

@myvzw.com

I do have wireless capabilities because all my devices worked with the e2000 before July 4 and all but e2000 works with the ubee afterwards. All my NICs in the 4 PCs are GB NICs with current drivers.

I do believe it is a configuration setting in the routers that I am having trouble with.

Thanks for the help though.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
Corpus Christi, TX

»192.168.100.1 login and poke around in the wireless settings to see if its turned on

Dekoh

@rr.com

Click for full size
ubee wireless enabled
Click for full size
ubee wireless primary enabled
Yes, wireless is turned on.

Any other items I should check?

Thanks.

Dekoh

@rr.com

Well, it appears you were correct in one respect - thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I never checked my wireless capability of the ubee ddw3611 after I changed it to bridging. Even though all the settings show wireless enabled in bridging mode, I have no wireless connection. I have been working off a hardwired internet connection to the ubee for most of the posts since bridging mode. Anyway, I guess I need to try to call BHN customer service tier3 to get bridging to work or I need to try another configuration probably with the ubee in NAT mode.

Any more suggestions?

MyDogHsFleas
Premium
Austin, TX

I have not tried bridging mode myself but I would think that wifi would not work at all in bridge mode. You would need your own wifi router. Anyone really know?

NC Plumber

@rr.com
reply to Hatdude

Hey all! So, what is the flip switch on the left side of the Ubee DDW3361?

cleako

join:2009-11-02
Cary, NC
reply to MyDogHsFleas

This Ubee DOCSIS 3.0 modem that Time Warner Cable installed is very frustrating. The problem that I find is that the ping is 40ms when in NAT mode and 20ms when in bridged mode. I put it in bridged mode and the integrated wireless stops working, it is the same for along with both of my wireless routers I plug in to it. (Apple airport express and a Belkin 54g) If in NAT mode, integrated wireless works just fine along with both of the wireless routers plugged in to the Ubee.

I have rebooted it with each changed, used only port 1 of the Ubee, ect. There is something in the Ubee blocking wireless routers that are connected to it from working when in bridged mode.

I have tried Router mode and NAT Router mode. Neither worked for wireless or standard ethernet connectivity. I disabled the firewall on the Ubee and adjusted the options for every single relevant thing. I just spent 6 hours of trial and error working on this and i'm stuck going back to NAT. Speed remains the same upstream and downstream but the ping is what I would like to fix. Unfortunately I cannot get away without using wifi at my house.

Has anyone had any success getting wifi (of any means) to work while the Ubee is in bridged mode? If so, how?

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
Corpus Christi, TX

The WiFi is not really meant to work in bridge mode. However if you only have one thing connected pull the ethernet lan cable from the back of the ubee do a hard reset put it in bridge mode then connect via wifi. Once you do that though the lan port 1 won't work and you will have to go back to nat mode.

Just need to make it clear that when you put it in bridge mode do not have any lan cables plugged in to it at all.

TWCdude

join:2006-04-28
San Antonio, TX
kudos:23

1 recommendation

reply to cleako

Bridge mode just gives the public ip address to the first device connected to it instead of the modem keeping the public ip and giving out private ips. If your acct has multiple ip addresses to give out then you can hook up more than one device, but in most cases you only get one there are some cities in south texas where you get 3. So if you try to hook 2 routers while in bridge mode it wont work because its giving the 1 public ip address to one of the 2 routers.

cleako

join:2009-11-02
Cary, NC

Thanks for clearing that up!

war59312

join:2001-03-02
Elgin, SC
reply to Hatdude

Hope this helps someone:

»Time Warner Cable Wideband Internet Coming To Columbia, SC
--
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A

AnClar
Premium
join:2003-07-31
Belton, TX

1 edit

Mods: please delete duplicate post. Thanks.

AnClar
Premium
Belton, TX
reply to Hatdude

Thanks for all the helpful info in this thread. I'm (hopefully) going to get my RR Extreme set up tomorrow. This of course assumes that TWC will actually honor their appointment commitment. I've currently got a wifi network that is doing everything I need it to do quite nicely, thank you, so all I need from the DOCSIS 3 modem/router is for it to be configured in bridge mode with wireless disabled and I should be fine. I run a Linksys E4200 router and I need the simultaneous 2.4 and 5 GHz networks that the Linksys has and the Ubee does not. If I'm lucky, I'll just have the tech give me the modem, and I'll set it up myself, or have the tech call tier 3 support if I can't log in to the Ubee's config pages. I can't for the life of me understand why TWC requires a truck roll to do this. From what I've been reading on the net, most of the field techs don't have a clue about the h/w anyway. I wish they'd just let me do a lobby exchange of my SB5100 for either the Motorola or the Ubee DOCSIS 3 h/w. I have 30 years experience in the networking arena and have a small clue about what needs to be done. We'll see what happens tomorrow.
--
When in danger or in doubt run in circles, scream and shout!

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
Corpus Christi, TX

If they bring you the ubee make sure you tell them to try and add the serial number of the device to the network instead of the mac address. Over here in my city it happened on two occasions, once for me and once for my friend where the system would not accept the mac address but accepted the serial number.

AnClar
Premium
Belton, TX

1 edit

OK, will note that as well...thanks! Actually that ought to be a small adventure as well. In the "My Services" on TWC, they have never updated one of my settop boxes, and they still list my cable modem as a SB4100, even though I've had a 5100 for a couple of years now.