how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NC Plumber

@rr.com
reply to Hatdude

Re: Ubee DDW3611 Bridge Mode??

Hey all! So, what is the flip switch on the left side of the Ubee DDW3361?

cleako

join:2009-11-02
Cary, NC
reply to MyDogHsFleas

Re: Ubee DDW3611 Bridge Mode?? - Central Florida

This Ubee DOCSIS 3.0 modem that Time Warner Cable installed is very frustrating. The problem that I find is that the ping is 40ms when in NAT mode and 20ms when in bridged mode. I put it in bridged mode and the integrated wireless stops working, it is the same for along with both of my wireless routers I plug in to it. (Apple airport express and a Belkin 54g) If in NAT mode, integrated wireless works just fine along with both of the wireless routers plugged in to the Ubee.

I have rebooted it with each changed, used only port 1 of the Ubee, ect. There is something in the Ubee blocking wireless routers that are connected to it from working when in bridged mode.

I have tried Router mode and NAT Router mode. Neither worked for wireless or standard ethernet connectivity. I disabled the firewall on the Ubee and adjusted the options for every single relevant thing. I just spent 6 hours of trial and error working on this and i'm stuck going back to NAT. Speed remains the same upstream and downstream but the ping is what I would like to fix. Unfortunately I cannot get away without using wifi at my house.

Has anyone had any success getting wifi (of any means) to work while the Ubee is in bridged mode? If so, how?

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX
kudos:6
The WiFi is not really meant to work in bridge mode. However if you only have one thing connected pull the ethernet lan cable from the back of the ubee do a hard reset put it in bridge mode then connect via wifi. Once you do that though the lan port 1 won't work and you will have to go back to nat mode.

Just need to make it clear that when you put it in bridge mode do not have any lan cables plugged in to it at all.

TWCdude

join:2006-04-28
San Antonio, TX
kudos:23

1 recommendation

reply to cleako
Bridge mode just gives the public ip address to the first device connected to it instead of the modem keeping the public ip and giving out private ips. If your acct has multiple ip addresses to give out then you can hook up more than one device, but in most cases you only get one there are some cities in south texas where you get 3. So if you try to hook 2 routers while in bridge mode it wont work because its giving the 1 public ip address to one of the 2 routers.

cleako

join:2009-11-02
Cary, NC
Thanks for clearing that up!

war59312

join:2001-03-02
Elgin, SC
reply to Hatdude

Hope this helps someone:

»Time Warner Cable Wideband Internet Coming To Columbia, SC
--
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A

AnClar
Premium
join:2003-07-31
Belton, TX

1 edit
Mods: please delete duplicate post. Thanks.

AnClar
Premium
Belton, TX
reply to Hatdude
Thanks for all the helpful info in this thread. I'm (hopefully) going to get my RR Extreme set up tomorrow. This of course assumes that TWC will actually honor their appointment commitment. I've currently got a wifi network that is doing everything I need it to do quite nicely, thank you, so all I need from the DOCSIS 3 modem/router is for it to be configured in bridge mode with wireless disabled and I should be fine. I run a Linksys E4200 router and I need the simultaneous 2.4 and 5 GHz networks that the Linksys has and the Ubee does not. If I'm lucky, I'll just have the tech give me the modem, and I'll set it up myself, or have the tech call tier 3 support if I can't log in to the Ubee's config pages. I can't for the life of me understand why TWC requires a truck roll to do this. From what I've been reading on the net, most of the field techs don't have a clue about the h/w anyway. I wish they'd just let me do a lobby exchange of my SB5100 for either the Motorola or the Ubee DOCSIS 3 h/w. I have 30 years experience in the networking arena and have a small clue about what needs to be done. We'll see what happens tomorrow.
--
When in danger or in doubt run in circles, scream and shout!

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
Corpus Christi, TX
If they bring you the ubee make sure you tell them to try and add the serial number of the device to the network instead of the mac address. Over here in my city it happened on two occasions, once for me and once for my friend where the system would not accept the mac address but accepted the serial number.

AnClar
Premium
Belton, TX

1 edit
OK, will note that as well...thanks! Actually that ought to be a small adventure as well. In the "My Services" on TWC, they have never updated one of my settop boxes, and they still list my cable modem as a SB4100, even though I've had a 5100 for a couple of years now.

AnClar
Premium
Belton, TX

1 edit
Well...the install was painless...I was able to get in to the modem with the "user" "user" login and change the mode to bridge. The tech was knowledgeable and helpful. Unfortunately my speeds are only 20/2. Also the firmware is at the older 8.6.2007. More worrisome is that the modem reports that it is operating in DOCSIS2 mode. I guess I'll try to get in touch with tier 3 and see if I can get them to update the firmware to the .9 release and to explain why the modem is operating in DOCSIS2 mode.
--

UPDATE: After speaking to a VERY helpful tier 3 support tech I got an unpleasant surprise: Even though they are advertising it and selling it, the DOCSIS 3 rollout is not yet complete in my area. So until September or October we're capped at 20/2...the SAME as Turbo. Well not quite the same...turbo is 15 down with a short boost up to 20, and this is a steady 20 down, until they finish when it should go to 30/5. Way to go TWC selling an unfinished product...sheesh!

Mega

@rr.com
reply to Hatdude
I just wanted to reply and say this thread is awesome. I was about ready to downgrade my Wideband 50 Mbps /5 Mbps service because even though downloads were faster, browsing was terrible compared to what I had before with Turbo.

I have the Ubee DDW3611 modem.
That is plugged into my Netgear WNDR4000.

I spent over an hour chatting with RR tech support, and none of them were helping me. They would just tell me they could detect no issues from their end.

Anyway here is all I had to do:

»192.168.0.1/TlModeChange.asp
User Name: user
Password :user

Changed the radio button to "Bridge Mode"
Hit Save, and waited a few minutes and now my Internet is lightning fast with no issues.

Now, to get back into the modem, the address now is:

»192.168.100.1/TlModeChange.asp

If I was to guess, I think it was the "ip flood protection" setting that was messing up my browsing experience, but I can't say for sure since the whole NAT is now turned off. Regardless, it is pointless to plug a NAT into a NAT, and I just wanted a modem, but all they had to give me was that silly over bloated Ubee. Thanks to you guys, it's now "just a modem" again like I had with Turbo.

I went from this:

To This:

Just wanted to share and say thanks.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
Corpus Christi, TX
You are correct it was IP flood detection, also the fragmented ip packet one can jack with online gaming.

Also note that I did these tests using the builtin router on this ubee.

Heres a test I did just now:

From a few days ago:

Ping test just now:

AnClar
Premium
Belton, TX

2 edits
OK...final update until they increase the speeds in my area...everything is rock solid at 20/2 and, lo and behold, when I got up this morning and looked at the modem the DS light had changed from green to blue...sure enough, when I checked...the modem had changed to DOCSIS3 mode. So all is as well as it can be for the time being...now to wait until TWC finishes upgrading its servers in my area. Again thanks for all the help!

This test was done a few minutes ago from one of my networked PCs behind my Linksys E4200 Oh, and the anomaly on the upload test where it only shows 1.5 up is because of an incorrect setting in my router...I had forgotten to adjust the upload bandwidth parameter in my QoS settings so it was throttling my upload a bit...all fixed and upload is now right at 2 Mbps.

--

Davidrt4

@charter.com
reply to CptGemini

Re: Ubee DDW3611 Bridge Mode?? - Central Florida

what is the master password ive tried everything

AnClar
Premium
Belton, TX
said by Davidrt4 :

Username: last 8 digits of the modem's MAC address
P/W: c0nf1gur3m3
--

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
Corpus Christi, TX
I believe that only works on the ones with roadrunner

AnClar
Premium
Belton, TX
I assumed that because he posted on the RR forum that he was in a RR service area. RR does service some of central Florida...I didn't notice the @charter in the info box (d'oh), but CptGemini is right...that username p/w combo is only known to work for sure on RR modems.
--

Beachie
Stranded in paradise

join:2001-07-12
St. Pete, FL
kudos:2
reply to Davidrt4
said by Davidrt4 :

We have a Bright House Networks forum here that will be happy to assist you.

»Bright House Networks
--
2012 Republican National Convention in Tampa: Where Hypocrisy Meets Humidity

ChaosX

@rr.com
reply to Hatdude

FYI

It is possible to enable the other three WiFi radios on this device. Once Time Warner has sent codes to activate the wireless and update the firmware on the Ubee you can access the radios here:

»192.168.0.1/wifiGuestNetwork.asp

The "Guest" networks give you more options like setting up dhcp ranges etc.

I have been running a seperate network for a few days now and it has not disabled itself. Just make sure to have TW send the codes for your WiFi first. Even in Master Mode the guest network does not show up.

MyDogHsFleas
Premium
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX
kudos:5
Other three WiFi radios?

As far as I know there's only one... which you can set to run in either the 2.4 or 5 GHz band.

This guest network feature is not another radio, I think.

ChaosX

@rr.com
reply to ChaosX
Sorry it's late and have been on the phone with TW longer than I wanted to. It is three more SSID's that are available.

ChaosX

@rr.com
reply to Hatdude
Click for full size
Interestingly enough TW would not release these for me over the phone and they are labeled TW_phone, TW_hotspot, and TW_global.

Hope this helps!

helloguys

join:2011-08-04
Anyone knows if bridge mode is available for UBEE DDW2600? The magic link (192.168.0.1/TlModeChange.asp) didn't seem to work on DDW2600.

Thank you very much!
Michael

freakout9903
Premium
join:2001-04-19
Gastonia, NC
reply to Hatdude
Just want to reply to this post thanking everyone for making my life simple. I have the 30/5 extreme tier just outside of Charlotte,NC. This thread should get stickied or used as a FAQ for people with new extreme/wideband installs. I was having ALL KINDS of problems using the UBEE DDW3611 in NAT mode: Inconsistent speeds sometimes as low as 15mbit, high pings, wierd packet loss, browsing problems, internet dropping out, dns issues, everything under the sun. In fact until I switched to bridge mode with my Cisco E1000 I couldn't get pingtest.net to complete a test. I don't want to jump the gun and say everything is 100% fixed but it's looking that way right now, here are my results:

Once again, thanks to everyone who posted here and the Tech that helped me in the Direct forums this week trying to diagnose my problems!
--
Join Team Discovery In The Fight Against Cancer

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
Corpus Christi, TX
reply to ChaosX
What are the magic links to the guest network pages? They don't even show up with the master login.

ChaosX

@rr.com
192.168.0.1/wifiGuestNetwork.asp

war59312

join:2001-03-02
Elgin, SC
"The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading."

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
Corpus Christi, TX
reply to ChaosX
said by ChaosX :

192.168.0.1/wifiGuestNetwork.asp

It didn't work. This is the error chrome gave me:
Error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET): The connection was reset.

Maybe it only works in NAT mode but even then it should still work in bridge mode because I can still access the wireless settings in bridge mode and I am using the master login.

JforJosh587
Premium
join:2011-08-17
Temple, TX
reply to Hatdude
Live in the Central Texas area, specifics to the left, and was told by a Tier 3 operator that the functionality wasn't going to be supported. I was able to do this myself though using the master account information. He warned that I'd be venturing off on my own and that any damages encountered would not be covered by Time Warner. He was quite friendly, though seemed very unaware of Ubee specifics.

P.S. - This thread was of such great value to me that I signed up and supported the site instantly.
--
Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!