There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to nwrickert

Re: [Phish] Telephone phishing thread

I just got a call on my landline from "000-000-0000 VERIZON DSL" Some snarky-sounding dude with an Indian accent said he was "from Verizon Security Department" to let me know my online account has been taken over by pirates because "Homeland Security Association" says they "detected copyright music, movies or adult material in [my] home." "If you please give your login ID, password, full name, SSN, and the bank account you pay your Verizon bill, I will verify I spoke with you and remove the restrictions imposed on you by law."

I told him I really appreciated his taking the time to contact me but "I am the Chief Executive Superior of Homeland Security Association and have to put [him] on report for not following the script correctly." He told me that I was going to "experience extreme legal difficulty," dropped a couple of f-bombs and hung up.

This is plainly an attempt to get account login credentials, along with bank account info. The scammers could also easily use the name of any ISP (AT&T, Comcast, etc.) DON'T GIVE THE CALLER ANY INFO, no matter what caller ID says.

As always, if you have any doubts about the legitimacy of a caller, hang up immediately and contact the company on the phone number from your statement.
--
"Keep calm and carry on."

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by DC DSL:

DON'T GIVE THE CALLER ANY INFO, no matter what caller ID says.

As always, if you have any doubts about the legitimacy of a caller, hang up immediately and contact the company on the phone number from your statement.

Yes, good advice.

Most of the phone calls that we get, with the exception of those from friends and work colleagues, seem to be fraudulent. They are either an attempt to get account information; a violation of DO NOT CALL; a dubious charity.

We have pretty much adopted a "just say no" and if they keep talking we hang up. And I decline to participate in telephone opinion surveys/polls, because too many of those turn out to be disguised marketing.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 11.3; firefox 3.6.13