spc
uniqs

triptrailz
@clearwire-wmx.net

triptrailz to criggs

Anon

to criggs

Re: February 2011 Sprint 4G WiMax speeds

Where do i type in ##debug# in smartview? i'm such a noob. I've been getting really bumpy results this morning. everything from .5mbps D/L - 10mbps d/l. however the upload is consistent at about .6-1.
criggs
join:2000-07-14
New York, NY

criggs

Pull up your Smartview window.

Put your cursor in the black area surrounding the Disconnect button and left-click. You won't see anything happen but trust me, it has.

Now type ##DEBUG#.

As soon as you type that final # the Debug window should pop up.

And, just to keep this thread on track, here's my speed today:

triptrailz
@clearwire-wmx.net

triptrailz

Anon

Hmm, doesnt seem to be working..
i got some sick speeds just now

Usually when it goes over 10mbps it shoots back down to 8-10mbps. Seems like the throttling was a bit lagged there.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

SpaethCo

MVM

said by triptrailz :

Usually when it goes over 10mbps it shoots back down to 8-10mbps. Seems like the throttling was a bit lagged there.

TCP's congestion avoidance algorithm adjusts based on acknowledgments received and response time. What you're seeing is probably not throttling but rather TCP adjusting to changes in latency. On WiMax 1.0 systems, upstream and downstream share the same frequency but get different timeslots, so the greater the downstream rate the harder it is to get upstream timeslots granted which results in increased latency (and hence TCP backs off). In WiMax 1.5 these are separated into different frequencies for upstream and downstream.

My Clear "Series G" modem, Sprint Epic 4G, and Sierra Wireless "Overdrive" unit are all syncing at Wimax 1.5 (Rev2) here in Minneapolis.

Unfortunately I'm not sure how to get to the stats on the USB devices like criggs See Profile has, but it's in the advanced diags on all the devices in my possession.

powerspec88
Premium Member
join:2007-03-11
Lees Summit, MO

powerspec88

Premium Member

Is your Overdrive unit with Clear or Sprint? It could just be my area, but I've never seen anything above ~7Mbps with my Sprint Overdrive. And how do you tell if your Overdrive unit is syncing at "Wimax 1.5"?
criggs
join:2000-07-14
New York, NY

criggs

said by powerspec88:

I've never seen anything above ~7Mbps with my Sprint Overdrive.

That doesn't necessarily means anything is wrong. Remember that the service is only spec'd by Sprint (as you can see on their web site) for average speeds of 3 to 6 mbps. Basically anything above that is gravy (though they do say that one can occasionally expect to see bursts up to 10 mbps).

In my own case, my speed tests have averaged between 6 to 9. Here's what I'm getting today:

I too am very curious about how to know whether I'm on WiMax 1 or WiMax 1.5. One poster suggested a series of stats I should look for, but I've looked both in DEBUG and in WiMax Info on my Smartview and so far come up empty.

Based on Espaeth's speed when on 1.5, my guess is I'm still on 1, but I'm not sure.
rlharris02
join:2009-02-06

rlharris02 to SpaethCo

to SpaethCo
Good Speeds but I'm sure they are not WiMAX Rel 1.5

Also keep in mind both WiMAX 1.0 and Rel 1.5 are TDD. I think you are confusing FDD and TDD technology.