uniqs
share rss forum feed

ScrawnyB

join:2004-05-18
Carlisle, PA
kudos:1
reply to wolfsmane

Re: Atlantic Broaband MegaMax 16mb service

For usenet/torrents, make sure you are using encryption/SSL for best performance.

Sorry to hear about all the problems, but I think it's important to try to diagnose the level at which the problems occur.

If you are experiencing full speeds to AtlanticBB's speedtest site, but not other speedtest sites, you can conclude 1 thing from this:

Your Link between your customer equipment and ABB (at least inside its own network) is at the expected speeds, and you are being bottle-necked outside this, generally would be ABB's uplinks. I know from time to time, ABB was having severe latency/speed issues with one of Level3's core routers that was causing problems for everyone.

For the record, I am seeing speeds of 1.86-1.93MB/sec when I pull files from Astraweb over SSL.

EvilByDesire
I Am My Own God
Premium
join:2002-09-03
Grotto
reply to wolfsmane

speed is slowing down

--
Sometimes "The Majority" only means all the fools are on the same side.

ScrawnyB

Carlisle, PA

It almost sounds like an overly congested node if you're getting full speed sometimes.

If so, it probably wouldn't hurt to post your modem stats.

Do you have a Motorola modem?

For myself, my modem url is: »192.168.100.1/RgSignal.asp

For example, here's mine:

Downstream Value
Frequency 693000000 Hz
Signal To Noise Ratio 37.1 dB
Power Level -4.9 dBmV
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
Channel ID 1
Frequency 31008000 Hz
Power 50.0 dBmV

Here's a guide from another DSLReports page that explains acceptable Cable Modem Signal/Power Levels

quote:
Downstream (Rx) Receive Power Level:
This is the amount of signal received by the modem from the transmitter in the cable company head-end.

For all modems:
-15 dBmV to +15 dBmV maximum.
-12 dBmV to +12 dBmV recommended.

0 dBmV is the "optimal" level.

Upstream (Tx) Transmit Power (a.k.a. Return Signal) level:
This is the amount of signal transmitted by the modem to reach the receiver in the cable company head-end.

+8 dBmV to +58 dBmV maximum for QPSK. (DOCSIS 1.x)
+8 dBmV to +55 dBmV maximum for 8 QAM and 16 QAM. (DOCSIS 1.x)
+8 dBmV to +54 dBmV maximum for 32 QAM and 64 QAM. (A-TDMA DOCSIS 2.0)
+8 dBmV to +53 dBmV maximum for S-CDMA DOCSIS 2.0 modulation rates.

Recommended upstream signal levels are +35 dBmV to +52 dBmV.

EvilByDesire
I Am My Own God
Premium
Grotto
reply to wolfsmane

Moto SB5120

Frequency 549000000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 38 dB
QAM 256
Network Access Control Object ON
Power Level 11 dBmV
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading
Upstream Value
Channel ID 1
Frequency 24496000 Hz
Ranging Service ID 600
Symbol Rate 2.560 Msym/s
Power Level 41 dBmV
--

wolfsmane

join:2003-05-01
Aiken, SC
reply to ScrawnyB

Frequency 579000000 Hz
Signal To Noise Ratio 39.0 dB
Power Level -3.2 dBmV

Upstream Value
Channel ID 1
Frequency 31008000 Hz
Power 48.5 dBmV

wolfsmane

Aiken, SC
reply to ScrawnyB

Thanks for the help, scrawnyb. I plan to get ABB out here to check everything out, but it'll be next week before I have time to get that done.
Why are your speeds so slow while using Astraweb?

wolfsmane

Aiken, SC

First time for everything.

EvilByDesire
I Am My Own God
Premium
Grotto
reply to wolfsmane

good speed this early afternoon, will report back and see what the speed is later on

Signal to Noise Ratio 37 dB
QAM 256
Power Level 10 dBmV
Upstream Value
Channel ID 1
Frequency 24496000 Hz
Ranging Service ID 599
Symbol Rate 2.560 Msym/s
Power Level 42 dBmV
--

ScrawnyB

Carlisle, PA

1 edit
reply to wolfsmane

Because those numbers are MegaBYTES per second (times that by 8 to get your Mbps rate)

Generally its represented: Mb/s = Mbit/s and MB/s = MByte/sec.

So if you do the conversion, it's approx. 14.6Mbit to 15.5Mbit/sec download)

The speeds are very good considering the line is rated 15Mbit down.

Current Speeds and Stats:

Downstream SNR - 36.5dB, Power: -5.2dBmV
Upstream Power - 50.0dBmV

wolfsmane

Aiken, SC

Thanks for pointing that out.

Downstream Value
Frequency 579000000 Hz
Signal To Noise Ratio 39.0 dB
Power Level -3.6 dBmV

Upstream Value
Channel ID 1
Frequency 31008000 Hz
Power 48.5 dBmV

Still looking good.

EvilByDesire
I Am My Own God
Premium
Grotto
reply to wolfsmane

speed is holding steady this afternoon, will test again in a few hours

Signal to Noise Ratio 38 dB
Power Level 9 dBmV
Upstream Value
Channel ID 1
Frequency 24496000 Hz
Ranging Service ID 599
Symbol Rate 2.560 Msym/s
Power Level 42 dBmV
--

wolfsmane

Aiken, SC

Prime time deflation

EvilByDesire
I Am My Own God
Premium
Grotto
reply to wolfsmane

slowing down here now to :-/

EvilByDesire
I Am My Own God
Premium
Grotto
reply to wolfsmane

speed has been good for the last few days

--

wmhugh

@atlanticbb.net
reply to wolfsmane

i just had new cable run to my new house two weeks ago, and the technician said that it is coming in March. I checked today and on the max tier (not megamax) Im downloading 10MbPS and uploading 1.02MbPS. I live in Aiken, Sc on the southside.

EvilByDesire
I Am My Own God
Premium
Grotto
reply to wolfsmane

still going good

--

BB_Hunter

join:2008-05-16

WOW! I'm so glad I just happened to come across this thread! I called and found out they've got this rolled out in Clearfield now! Didn't get the speeds at first and I guess they decided to roll it back, but whatever, I'm now provisioned for it

wolfsmane

Aiken, SC
reply to wolfsmane

Not so good

ScrawnyB

Carlisle, PA

Still okay here:

EvilByDesire
I Am My Own God
Premium
Grotto
reply to wolfsmane

ok here, was a little slow earlier but i didnt do a test

--

GaryK
Premium
join:2000-08-29
Miami, FL
reply to wolfsmane

Click for full size
Despite insanely poor quality of service due to frequent and extended outages I upgraded to their MegaMax service this afternoon. As I stated in my review, when they're up they're really up. The speeds in this screenshot are consistent with what I got during a speed test during the upgrade process.
--
Alright! I know I'm in there! If I don't come out, I'll have to come in after me!

F34R

join:2007-10-29
reply to wolfsmane

Had the megamax for a month and a half now, and I've enjoyed the increases. I only wish they'd really do some increasing in the upload area. Better, yes, but I wish it were more comparable to other providers.

Day in and day out, there are just times of the day where the speed is 2.5Mb/s - 8Mb/s... and that can last for hours. It usually doesn't bother me TOO bad, but it's annoying to see only a third of what you're paying for sometimes.

redpenguin

join:2010-06-17

Is anybody else having latency issues, in Johnstown with the HSI?

I don't remember having any connection problems once the Internet was upgraded.

Then randomly one day I'd say 2.5 weeks ago my friend who also has ABB HSI and TV Service said his cable randomly become very snowy and his modem cut out a few times.

Now I have not really noticed the snow in the TV channels but I am mainly just a ClearQAM user which those channels don't get snow being digital.

I would have to say in the past 2 weeks or so, I must have seen my modem up and reboot randomly at least 3 times, and I have known it to do that maybe once every 6 months or something, not this much.

ScrawnyB

Carlisle, PA

What section of Johnstown? I'm in the West End and have had some minor modem reboots occur a little more often these past few weeks, but nothing much before that. Latency seems fine.

Can you post your modem signal stats?

Usually if you have a surfboard, you can see them at:

»192.168.100.1/RgSignal.asp

For example mine (at the time of posting) is:

Downstream Value
Frequency 681000000 Hz
Signal To Noise Ratio 38.3 dB
Power Level -1.9 dBmV

Upstream Value
Channel ID 1
Frequency 31008000 Hz
Power 46.5 dBmV

redpenguin

1 edit

I am also in West End.

Downstream Value
Frequency 681000000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 36 dB
QAM 256
Power Level 0 dBmV

Upstream Value
Channel ID 3
Frequency 31008000 Hz
Ranging Service ID 303
Symbol Rate 2.560 Msym/s
Power Level 49 dBmV

EDIT: It appears I must have a bad modem, because ABB said since Sunday, my modem has cut out 40 times. They recommend that I exchange my modem at the office, and that's what I will do.

ScrawnyB

Carlisle, PA

I think honestly that the lines down here suck.

But maybe not, it's hard to say. Let me know what modem you had before, what they replace it with, and if you notice any difference.

Sometimes I think they just say that the modem is bad, which isn't always true because really we're both sorta on the higher end of the spectrum for upstream power levels.

I just checked mine now, and it's above 51dBmV.

Once you start hitting around 55dBmV, then you get more frequent disconnects (T3/ranging timeouts will appear in the logs). I had this issue happening to me a lot, then I picked up a cable amplifier (with a passive return) and it seemed to help a bit for my situation, since the internal wiring for this house is a mess.

Posting my stats again:

Downstream Value
Frequency 681000000 Hz
Signal To Noise Ratio 38.2 dB
Power Level -2.1 dBmV

Upstream Value
Channel ID 1
Frequency 31008000 Hz
Power 51.0 dBmV
Speed Test:

redpenguin

1 edit

They gave me the exact same modem a Motorola SurfBoard SB5120, but weird thing is it has a totally different AC plug, which is kinda annoying.

My old one had the "wart" in the middle and a normal plug on the end but this time they have me a "wall wart" plug and I barely found a place to plug it in, being so big .

Anyway, more to the point the modem appears to be working fine as far as I can tell I do not have any disconnects that are noticeable and oddly enough the new modem doesn't show Baseline Privacy I believe it was a failed anymore.

Here is my new numbers:

Downstream Value
Frequency 687000000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 32 dB
QAM 256
Power Level -3 dBmV

Upstream Value
Channel ID 3
Frequency 31008000 Hz
Ranging Service ID 1022
Symbol Rate 3.200 Msym/s
Power Level 50 dBmV

Though the bad news is I am seeing T3 timeouts just like you said

EDIT: The last time I seen one was 110701210245 (timestamp) and I have not noticed anything timing out, so I don't know if it's happening just some times or the modem recovers so fast my network can't tell. I am able to watch a fair amount of streaming video and use a VoIP phone (not from ABB) and really noticed no problems. Before my phone calls would randomly go silent.

ScrawnyB

Carlisle, PA

Do you have a lot of splits before the modem?

If so, fixing this is another major thing that helps fix the signal.

Additionally, you could opt for an amplifier solution if you can't modify the cable runs or if you make changes and it still has you on that threshold above > 48dBmV for upstream.

I personally ended up re-running a direct line for the modem, and then let the rest of the cables alone to run for video. Adding an amplifier fixed my TV fuzziness on the runs as there are too many splits that I can't directly access to change to a more reliable path.

If you are interested, here is the one I purchased:

»www.extreme-broadband.com/cable-···iers.php

It provides a special "passive" return for cable modems, or if you are feeling lucky, you could attempt the normal amplified return path, haha. I'd rather not piss off my ABB neighbors (aka: you and the cable company itself) by potentially feeding interference back through the CMTS and causing issues for everyone. However, if your signal is that marginal, it might not hurt. I have remained cautious about utilizing an active return path.

Also, are you renting a modem?

redpenguin

1 edit

yes I am renting a modem and they claim since I got this new modem I have not been disconnecting at all, so I dunno.

If I have problems later I guess I will try those solutions.

EDIT: I contacted ABB Tech Support, and since I had this modem for 4 days now, they claim they don't see any disconnecting from me at all. So I guess for now I'm good. This is vs when they said on I think it was a Thur, 40 disconnected since Sun.