uniqs
share rss forum feed

jester805

join:2008-12-25
Manito, IL
Reviews:
·Cass Communicati..

Can DSL filters go bad?

I have CenturyLink DSL at my house. I was getting 8 Mbit and called them to see if they could bump me to 10. They did, and I was getting 10 for exactly one week. I noticed last night that it went back down to 8.

I called their tech support this morning and the girl said that I should check/replace the filters on my phone jacks. She said that my Margin dB was a touch low, but still within spec (I think it was 9.2 and she wanted it to be over 10).

My question is: Has this ever happened to anyone? I will replace my filters tonight, but just wonder how likely that is to fix the problem and get me back up to 10.

Thanks!

BankerMama

join:2009-03-10
united state

Not likely.
Post your stats.
Tell us what modem you have.

jester805

Manito, IL
Reviews:
·Cass Communicati..
reply to jester805

I have a Westell 7100.

These are all Downstream Path:

DSL Speed = 7325
Margin (dB) = 9.0
Line Attenuation (dB) = 36.0
Transmit Power (dBm) = 0.0

These are all Upstream Path:

DSL Speed = 892
Margin (dB) = 12.7
Line Attenuation (dB) = 16.7
Transmit Power (dBm) = 12.8

BankerMama

united state
reply to jester805

I'm not familiar with that modem, but I'll give you my two cents. If you're plan is a 10M/768 then I would say your "DSL Speed = " is the sync rate in which you synced up slow. (Sync rate should be in the 11,xxx range) Your upstream synced about right for 768 up. (Usually provisioned at 896) All your other readings look pretty good. Your down margin is spotty and distance/speed would likely be the culprit. The higher your speed, the more your margin comes down and now it is borderline for good stability. If you power cycle the modem, look at the stats again and see if the DSL Speed stays the same or sync at a different rate.
--
This posting is of my own opinion and in no way connected to any employer.

jester805

Manito, IL
Reviews:
·Cass Communicati..

Thanks for your help. Their web site says I can only get 3 Mbit, but the tech said I could get 8.

I've had 8 for a while and decided to ask for 10. They said I was only 600 feet from the box so 10 should work. I had 10 for a week before it dropped itself back to 8.

Should I press my luck and ask for 10 again? Or should I just let it go and be happy with 8?

jester805

Manito, IL
reply to jester805

I'm sorry. My DSL modem is a 7500, not a 7100.

jester805

Manito, IL
reply to jester805

I replaced all of the filters and power cycled my modem. My speed is still just under 8 Mbps.

dsl101

@centurytel.net

You're only syncing at about the 6M speed per the stats you previously posted. Either you are set at the 6M speed because the tech set you at the max possible, or the system has your profile wrong. Call tech support to have them check and see what they show you billing at to make sure, and if it is correct, they should send a technician out for further investigation; unless they can access the device to change your DSL profile (doubtful).

BankerMama

united state
reply to jester805

You're definitely not syncing up at 10M. You should sync up around 12475 for 10M. I would guess their is something wrong. You could try and test at the NID/Demarc, but if you are unable to, then you would need to call in and have a tech test.
If you have maintenance, call it in. If not, you will need to make sure their is no problems on your side of the NID. Most of the time around here, you can buy maint after the tech test. Don't know if that is possible in your area.

Also, CTLJoey on here can check your provisioning.
--

jester805

Manito, IL
Reviews:
·Cass Communicati..

1 edit
reply to jester805

Thanks for the help & info guys.

I called customer service and they said that my account is still provisioned for 10 Mbit. They transfered me to tech support and he said the minimum guaranteed is 6 Mbit. Unless I drop below 6, there's nothing he can do for me.

Seems strange that it showed 9.something (almost 10) for a week, then dropped back to 7400.

BankerMama

united state
reply to jester805

It sounds like the line can't handle 10, but you could asked them to put you back to 8 which would probably give you a more stable connection rather than a crapshoot of being provisioned at 10 and only getting a sync of 7. Of course, as the weather changes, you might get better or worse when your margins are borderline.
--

jester805

Manito, IL

When you say "the line" do you mean wiring inside or outside of my house? I ask because the house is only 15 years old so the outside wiring should be somewhat newer. I can change any wiring inside the house if I need to.

Thanks!

herb77

join:2005-02-23
Fort Myers, FL
reply to jester805

Yes DSL filters can go bad. Two years ago when I was having problems with my speed, the tech on the phone ran tests on the line with the filters on and with the filters off. The speed was much lower with the filters on. He told me the filters were bad and replaced them for free.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:3
reply to jester805

Click for full size
Modem Stats 10M Embarq Connection
You need to plug your modem in at the NID. If you have a fairly modern NID, using the jack available disconnects your house wiring. If not, you will need to disconnect all the inside wiring and wire up a test jack.

If the modem stats are about the same when plugged into the NID, your inside wiring and filters are okay. If there is a significant difference, then you need to check your wiring, jacks, and filters and see if you can find the problem.

If the modem stats are about the same, then you need to call customer service and get a tech to come out and do a line check. This is a check of the wiring between your house and the Terminal. Splices can go bad, water intrusion can cause problems, and techs will put bridge taps on the wrong circuit. All of these can cause major line issues.

If you are really only 600 feet from the terminal, then you have a serious line issue, because those stats are terrible. I ran into a similar problem last summer. I have a 10meg connection that had been fine for years. I noticed over time that my speed had dropped and the highest I was getting was around 7meg on a speed test. They couldn't find any good pairs in what was available, so they moved me to a shorter run from a different DSLAM. It took several days, but they fixed the problem.

I attached a screen shot of what my line stats are like. Part of the line to my house is overheard, part underground. If I remember correctly, the wire length is now about 3000 feet to the terminal.

jester805

Manito, IL
Reviews:
·Cass Communicati..
reply to jester805

billaustin, thanks for the info.

I actually had a tech out here yesterday. He told me that I am roughly 10,000 feet from the central office and 600 feet from the DSLAM. He did a line test and was getting 5600 Kbps at my jack AND at the NID.

My understanding was that DSLAM's were installed to extend the DSL range past 18,000 feet. Am I wrong about that?? So wouldn't I be able to get 10 meg since I'm only 600 feet from the DSLAM??

This morning I installed a whole-house filter at the NID. I also ran all new internal CAT5 wiring. After doing that, my modem shows 8286 Kbps down. My downstream margin (dB) is still less than 10.

jester805

Manito, IL
Reviews:
·Cass Communicati..
reply to jester805

Click for full size
DSL stats
Here are my current stats.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
North Las Vegas, NV
reply to jester805

Remote terminals are used to extend DSL range. They are essentially a CO in a box. The DSLAM provides the DSL part of your service, and is located in the remote terminal.

The wire length from the terminal to your house is the deciding factor. I am only 700 feet from the terminal I am attached to, but the wire length is about 3000 feet because of the path that it takes (up the street, then across, then back down to my place).

Your house wiring may have been part of the problem. Your stats are still poor. Did the tech say what he was going to do, or did he just check the speed and leave?

You might also want to try a different modem. See if you can find a local place with a liberal return policy. If a new modem makes a difference, keep it. If not, take it back and contact Joey and see if you can get your line cleaned up.

jester805

Manito, IL
Reviews:
·Cass Communicati..
reply to jester805

The tech didn't really say anything about my stats. In fact, he didn't even look at them. Don't get me wrong, he's a really nice guy. He basically just checked my line and answered some questions for me.

I thought about getting a new modem from Walmart or some place like that so I could take it back.

I guess if I'm between 10,000 & 11,000 feet from the CO then I should be happy with 8 meg. It's just frustrating because I moved to this house 2½ months ago. At my old house I was getting 20 meg from Comcast.

jester805

Manito, IL
reply to jester805

I tried sending an instant message to CTLJoey, but it says user unknown.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
North Las Vegas, NV

Try CTL_Joey

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to jester805

yes filters can go bad. I had one go bad last year on me. I was getting random discounts so I changed the filter and fixed the issue.

I also worked for a DSL ISP as tech support and sometimes we'd get calls and when you looked at the stats it would point to a bad filter.

davidtheweb

join:2011-01-29
Salt Lake City, UT
reply to jester805

You might look at the house wiring, just to be sure. If your test jack signal quality and your in house jack signal quality are different, that might point to something.

Btw, when I compared mine, I bought a long Cat6 cable (for the modem to computer run) so when I hooked up the modem to the test jack, I wouldn't potentially have the longer phone cable introducing any new signal degradation.

wvcaver
Premium
join:2005-04-17
Millersburg, OH
reply to jester805

Make sure you don't have and phone surge suppressors hooked up !

brugar

join:2002-09-16
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..
reply to jester805

I have Pure Broadband 10Mbps DSL service. My transceiver stats report a comparable downstream attenuation (34.0 db) but much higher downstream transmit power (19.5 dbm vs. 0.0 dbm). billaustin reports much lower downstream attenuation (14.7 db vs. 36.0 db) with much higher downstream transmit power (18.3 dbm vs. 0.0 dbm). Assuming jester805's modem is reporting accurately, it appears his line may been configured with unusually low downstream transmit power which would explain his poor downstream noise margin and limit his downstream DSL speed.