uniqs

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to TherapyChick

Premium Member

to TherapyChick

Re: How much would you expect to pay to paint a room?

$80 in paint, rollers, brushes and tape plus a weekend.
Painting is about the easiest, idiot-proof DIY job...

Prevailer
Freeze a poopy.
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Your Mom

Prevailer

Premium Member

It may be the easiest, but it's also a giant PITA. My wife asked family for money to get the interior painted. The cathedral ceiling is pretty to look at (or will be once it's painted) but I'll be darned if I'm constructing some rickety ghetto scaffolding or paying to buy one for a one time use to paint it.

cowboyro
Premium Member
CT

cowboyro

Premium Member

said by Prevailer:

but I'll be darned if I'm constructing some rickety ghetto scaffolding or paying to buy one for a one time use to paint it.

There is always the rental option. Not expensive at all... Truck rental is also fairly inexpensive.

Sopper
Premium Member
join:2000-11-02
Rochester, MN

Sopper to cowboyro

Premium Member

to cowboyro
said by cowboyro:

Painting is far from idiot proof. It takes skill, and plenty of practice, to paint well...

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5

Premium Member

said by Sopper:

said by cowboyro:

Painting is far from idiot proof. It takes skill, and plenty of practice, to paint well...

I won't let my wife paint. As much as I hate doing it, she sucks at it. I hate it but take my time and do a good job. My sister-in-law is a terrible painter too. So no, it's not idiot-proof.

Midgard7
join:2010-10-11
MA

Midgard7

said by Jon5:

said by Sopper:

said by cowboyro:

I won't let my wife paint. As much as I hate doing it, she sucks at it. I hate it but take my time and do a good job. My sister-in-law is a terrible painter too. So no, it's not idiot-proof.

It's the opposite for me. I hate painting and the wife loves it. She'd prefer me not to paint. She takes FOREVER to paint since she tapes the $%#^# out of the room then paints the ceilings. Let's it dry for 48 hours then removes the tape and re-tapes the %$^# out of it to do the walls. She does great work but it takes over a week for her to do a room.

Ken
MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

1 recommendation

Ken to cowboyro

MVM

to cowboyro
said by cowboyro:

I'm not trying to put you down so don't take this the wrong way. But usually when I hear someone say something about how easy painting is I can go in their house and tell immediately they have no idea how to paint. Roller marks, drips, paint on the trim, poor cut in along the ceiling, dirt and lint in the paint, etc. Again I'm not singling you out specifically, but easily 90% of the time when someone says painting is easy it's because they are doing it wrong. I hate painting, and it's because I know how incredibly difficult it is.

cowboyro
Premium Member
CT

cowboyro

Premium Member

said by Ken:

said by cowboyro:

I'm not trying to put you down so don't take this the wrong way. But usually when I hear someone say something about how easy painting is I can go in their house and tell immediately they have no idea how to paint. Roller marks, drips, paint on the trim, poor cut in along the ceiling, dirt and lint in the paint, etc. Again I'm not singling you out specifically, but easily 90% of the time when someone says painting is easy it's because they are doing it wrong. I hate painting, and it's because I know how incredibly difficult it is.

If you do it right it's easy. Of course if you soak the roller until it's dripping because you're too lazy to touch the paint tray it becomes difficult and the result is ugly. Same if you try to squeeze the roller at the corners because you're too lazy to use a brush. I've painted my entire house with my wife and she is a neat freak... she sanded all the drip marks from the previous owners' painting...

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to Jon5

MVM

to Jon5
I have color issues - the first coat as long as the difference in color is pretty large I am ok - second coat I am useless. I don't paint - I hate it and I hate cleaning my glasses off.

Was painting our bedroom before we moved in - when doing the second coat my wife kept yelling at me that I missed a spot - I could not see where I missed.
horsemouth1
Please Clarify My CSP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-13
canada

horsemouth1 to Ken

Premium Member

to Ken
said by Ken:

said by cowboyro:

LOL so true. I spent 24 hr working time painting my living room.
Day 1
Disconnect all electronics and move to spare room.
Move all art and small treasures to a safe place.
Move all big furniture to the center of room and cover it up.
Remove all switch/plug plates and soak them in soapy water.
Lunch.
Set up fans
Sand all walls and trim.
Wash all walls and trim with TSP.
Rinse all walls and and trim with water.
Rolled the ceiling with stain blocker.
Mixed up Durabond 90 to patch holes.

Wife comes home from work and says her friends husband painted their living room in 4hr. "what did you do all day?"

Ronhel
join:2001-11-09
West Warwick, RI

Ronhel

I hate painting but paint loves me.
I open the can and it jumps out all over me like a magnet.

natedj
Elected
Premium Member
join:2001-06-06
Irmo, SC

natedj to Jon5

Premium Member

to Jon5
said by Jon5:

Hope your wife or sister-in-law doesn't read this and find out they fail the idiot test
RWOTB
Premium Member
join:2002-12-04

RWOTB to Ronhel

Premium Member

to Ronhel
said by Ronhel:

I hate painting but paint loves me.
I open the can and it jumps out all over me like a magnet.

ROFLOL!