Search similar:

uniqs
nemasu
join:2008-10-14

1 edit

nemasu

Actiontec v1000h Tweaks

Hello!

Anyone have any tweaks/useful commands they've come across that they would like to share (preferably ones that aren't accessible through the web interface)?

I've been fiddling with the Actiontec modem and have decided I could probably put the thing into bridged mode with some effort, but I haven't tried it because I haven't had any problems with it (not to mention the whole borking possibility).

anyway, all I've come up with so far is:

sh - to get into a real shell (no more using echo for directory lists haha)

adsl info - to check what the Max Up/Downstream rates are.

good old ps - I was having issues with upnp, found out it wasn't even running, even though it said it was in the web interface

cat /var/upnpRule - tells you what ports are mapped to what ips through upnp only (as I believe there is no separation in the web UI)

ls /webs - lists all web pages accessible

and I just managed to transfer dmesg over...that's about it really.
EDIT: no i didn't, false alarm, nuts

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak

Premium Member

/webs/perm.txt

nemasu

nemasu

Nice, have you been able to remount?
WhosTheBosch
join:2009-12-02

WhosTheBosch to nemasu

to nemasu
Where do you run these from?
nemasu

nemasu

ssh into your external ip, not the 192.168.1.254 one, if that doesn't work, forward port 22 to your router and try again.

pfak
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

pfak to nemasu

Premium Member

to nemasu
said by nemasu:

No, but if you have a non-TELUS device you could simply fix up the image by extracting it. Keep in mind these devices have remote update capabilities.
nemasu

nemasu

said by pfak:

said by nemasu:

No, but if you have a non-TELUS device you could simply fix up the image by extracting it. Keep in mind these devices have remote update capabilities.

Ah, I've got a Telus device.
rewrite2
join:2008-06-29

rewrite2

Ok I found a way to get around the perm.txt thing and have access to some blocked pages such as bridge mode.

plug in a usb thumb drive fomatted as FAT32 (other format might work too but haven't tried) to the USB port on actiontec. And then SSH into the device.

Mount your usb to a temp folder (ie: /mnt/test)
# mount /dev/sda0 /mnt/test

now copy /webs folder to /mnt/test
# cp /webs/* /mnt/test -R

then umount
# umount /mnt/test

mount the drive again as /webs
# mount /dev/sda0 /webs

now you can modify files in /webs since it's actually your USB drive.
To make actiontec v1000h to bridge mode, make a copy of advancedsetup_wanipaddress.html to something else (ie: advancedsetup_wanipaddress2.html)

You can also choose to delete perm.txt so you don't need to make a copy of original web pages but it won't take effect until sometime later and I dont' know why yet. Copying the html pages is easier.

Now point your browser to advancedsetup_wanipaddress2.html
click on "RFC 1483 Transparent Bridging" and hit apply.
That's it, it's now in bridge mode. I tested it with my RT-n16 and it was able to get an WAN ip from actiontek when I plug RT-n16 WAN port to LAN port1 on actiontec. You can use same method to access to remoteGUI setting and local/remote telnet setting (better turn on the local telnet so you can still access the console when in bridge mode. You can't SSH in anymore in brodge mode because there is no external IP.) Rebooting the device seems to keep the bridge mode when I was testing but it lost the local telnet setting.

Now I just need to find out why my RT-n16 locks up when watching optik tv.

WARNING: Changing any of the above settings are not supported by Telus. Do it at your own risk and you should not bother Telus if you break something. If you think you mess up the router, try doing a factory reset by holding down the reset button for a long time (can't remember how long) and actiontec v1000h will go back to its original settings.

Patman023
Ex-TELUS employee, Ubuntu Lover
join:2009-03-01
Edmonton, AB

1 edit

Patman023 to MediaRoom

to MediaRoom
EDIT: this was directed to an anon who posted the Actiontec root pwd...

DUMBASS. now tech strategy will see this and patch within a few days. trust me, it will happen.

ummm no
@telus.net

ummm no

Anon

lol, change a password on devices in the wild, riiiight.

Patman023
Edmonton, AB

Patman023

said by ummm no :

lol, change a password on devices in the wild, riiiight.

ever remember the 2Wire 2700HG-E?

Remember how the MDC password was "Dr@cul@!" ?
Or "1nd1go"?
Or how the most recent Firmware upgrade changed it so the mdc URL displayed a 404?

I think that you're either ignorant, or just plain uninformed. Take a quick look at these to get a feel for what they can do remotely: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TR-069 // »www.broadband-forum.org/ ··· nt-2.pdf

pfak
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

pfak to nemasu

Premium Member

to nemasu
You can always turn off the TR69 client if you own your Actiontec V1000H.

»192.168.1.254/tr69.html
rewrite2
join:2008-06-29

rewrite2

was going to post that too you can turn it off or maybe kill the process. But does TR69 still works if the device is in bridge mode?
couttsj
join:2010-07-29
Vernon, BC

couttsj

The TR69 standard requires the remote client equipment to connect with the configuration server. In order to do that, the client equipment must be identifiable on the network. In bridge mode, all-in-one boxes simply pass packets from one interface to the other in the same manner as a modem, and in this mode it would not have an IP address. Without an IP address, access to the bridged device would be limited to using the circuit number, which I don't believe the configuration server can accomplish.

pfak
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

pfak

Premium Member

said by couttsj:

In bridge mode, all-in-one boxes simply pass packets from one interface to the other in the same manner as a modem, and in this mode it would not have an IP address.

Considering the Alcatel Cellpipe that TELUS was distributing uses the same BCM96368 reference platform as the Actiontec, and the Alcatel has TR69 remote management enabled while in bridge mode, your argument is invalid.

AnonDSLGuy
@telus.net

AnonDSLGuy to pfak

Anon

to pfak
said by pfak:

You can always turn off the TR69 client if you own your Actiontec V1000H.

»192.168.1.254/tr69.html

Please don't turn off TR69, trust me its not there to spy on customers, but to push firmware updates. VDSL2 is still rapidly improving/progressing and Broadcom is constantly releasing firmware updates that eventually make their way to the Actiontec or Cellpipe modem.

Next generation VDSL2 features like G.INP, SOS and longer term G.Vector, aren't supported with current firmware, and if you disable TR69 you won't get these updates. If Actiontec released these firmware updates themselves, I wouldn't care, but unfortunately they don't, so you really risk being left behind.

VDSL2 is vastly more complex than ADSL2+, and its more important than ever to keep up with the improvements we are making on the dslam, with the firmware and chipset being used by subscriber modems.

This isn't like ADSL or ADSL2+ where using different chipsets and firmwares didn't make a huge difference in performance. The BCM6511 VDSL2 chipset on the EVLT-K line card is the best dsl chipset currently available. Using a matching BCM6368 based VDSL2 modem with recent firmware, will give vastly better performance, much higher impulse noise protection, and lower latency compared to a VDSL2 modem with a different chipset.

Hopefully BCM6368 based VDSL2 bridge modems will become widespread soon, with firmware updates readily available for everyone to download, but until that happens PLEASE don't disable TR69.
AnonDSLGuy

AnonDSLGuy to Patman023

Anon

to Patman023
said by Patman023:

DUMBASS. now tech strategy will see this and patch within a few days. trust me, it will happen.

TS doesn't care, its the morons in Consumer PD that will get the password changed =(.

pfak
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

pfak to AnonDSLGuy

Premium Member

to AnonDSLGuy
said by AnonDSLGuy :

Hopefully BCM6368 based VDSL2 bridge modems will become widespread soon, with firmware updates readily available for everyone to download, but until that happens PLEASE don't disable TR69.

What's to stop someone from manually fetching the updates?

Patman023
Edmonton, AB

Patman023 to AnonDSLGuy

to AnonDSLGuy
Who is Consumer PD? I know TS houses one of the persons who actually cooks up these passwords which is why I mentioned them...

@couttsj, pfak's got your number on that one... I hated my ALU for that one reason, as I couldn't run Dual Public Router behind it due to the ALU taking one of 2 IPs on it's own...

@pfak, Broadcom doesnt release drivers to the general public for devices sold directly to ISPs. Check their website... Also, most clients cannot even be trusted to have powercycled their modem correctly, what makes you think that (large) ISPs will cater to the 0.01% of us who know and care what firmware even is...

pfak
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

pfak

Premium Member

said by Patman023:

@pfak, Broadcom doesnt release drivers to the general public for devices sold directly to ISPs. Check their website... Also, most clients cannot even be trusted to have powercycled their modem correctly, what makes you think that (large) ISPs will cater to the 0.01% of us who know and care what firmware even is...

Not that, what's to stop me from writing a daemon to interface with TR69 to make sure that my modem stays up to date? (Other than possibly having to deal with the wrath of TELUS's legal department ...)

Patman023
Edmonton, AB

Patman023

said by pfak:

Not that, what's to stop me from writing a daemon to interface with TR69 to make sure that my modem stays up to date? (Other than possibly having to deal with the wrath of TELUS's legal department ...)

A lack of caffeine. that's about all I can realistically think up...

AnonDSLGuy
@telus.net

AnonDSLGuy to pfak

Anon

to pfak
said by pfak:

said by Patman023:

Go for it man, TR69 is a Broadband Forum development and more recently an ITU-T standard, and is well documented.

parrelium
join:2005-07-31

parrelium to nemasu

to nemasu
> adsl info
adsl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 0
Max: Upstream rate = 11629 Kbps, Downstream rate = 87300 Kbps
Path: 0, Upstream rate = 3071 Kbps, Downstream rate = 31494 Kbps
I wish I could sign up for that rate
Gladly have 85/11....

MediaRoom
@seedhost.net

1 edit

MediaRoom to rewrite2

Anon

to rewrite2
You don't need to go to all that effort. Some may say: The root of TELUS's platform is removed .

LilHelper
@telus.net

LilHelper to rewrite2

Anon

to rewrite2
I switched the Actiontek to bridged mode like was described earlier, which was awesome and allowed me to set up my network as I had it before Telus, but it also seems to bypass the QoS settings for the Optik TV. I wasn't able to pause/record/rewind live TV in bridged mode.

I switched it back to regular working order and that fixed things, but for now it looks like bridged mode won't work in conjunction with Optik very easily. Just a heads up if someone is planning on playing around with it.
netwerk28
join:2011-01-04

netwerk28 to MediaRoom

to MediaRoom
MediaRoom...Do you think using a web proxy though a ssh shell will give you anonymity? Can you please think.... before you make any more posts.
kylez
join:2009-03-26

kylez to AnonDSLGuy

to AnonDSLGuy
Any chance at getting Bridge mode added natively? I'm sure everyone would keep autoupdates on along with everything else. However, if Telus is purposely disabling functionality, what's the point?

Some want to use their own hardware, others do not. Leave the options there for people to choose what they do and do not want activated.
nemasu

nemasu

Not to mention they advertise 2 ips, but with their current hardware, that is impossible.

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to nemasu

to nemasu
Anyone having issues with the wireless on the actiontec? At first I liked the unit, until my recent 26 hour downtime. Now I'm noticing the wireless is just a joke. Try to download anything at more than say 99KB/s and it temporarily craps out, starts to download again until it reaches a descent speeds, then drops again. Seems the wireless in this unit is rather garbage. Can't transfer files from computer to computer, computer to server, stream movies, download large files, etc.

pfak
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

pfak

Premium Member

said by rustydusty:

Anyone having issues with the wireless on the actiontec?

Yes. Maybe you can buy bigger antennas for it?