kamm
join:2001-02-14
Brooklyn, NY

kamm to dynodb

to dynodb

Re: Physics fail

said by dynodb:

said by ArrayList:

he said that the only reason there are any "congestion problems is because of a lack of investment by the ISP. Which is absolutely true.

Only in the sense that if providers spent an unlimited amount of money on an unlimited amount of capacity- then yes. That's like arguing that the only reason that rush hour traffic is congested is because they didn't instantly add more lanes at the first sign of trouble.

One can't disregard the fact that bandwidth consumption per user has been seeing double-digit increases per quarter. The same trunks / nodes that only six months ago were perfectly fine might now be congested, even without an increase in the number of subscribers riding it.

Obviously, the providers are for-profit businesses. The expectation that any amount of profit made should be spend on endless upgrades to benefit a very small percentage of "bandwidth hogs" isn't realistic.

ANother full of BS astroturfer reply - wholesale bandwidth prices are ALWAYS FALLING and pipes are getting fatter and fatter.

It is really nobody else but scumbag corporations like yours who overcharges and THEN has the thick skin to complain about growth in needs.

Scumbags, rotten, crooked lying scumbags, ALL CABLECORPS.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

SpaethCo

MVM

said by kamm:

ANother full of BS astroturfer reply - wholesale bandwidth prices are ALWAYS FALLING and pipes are getting fatter and fatter.

This doesn't magically happen though. You know what, hard drives are getting cheaper and larger every day. How much did your hard drive magically increase in size last month?

It isn't cheaper for you to add more storage -- you'd have to spend cash to get more capacity -- but you'll get more storage for your dollar this time around than you did the last time you bought a hard drive. Except eventually you run out of what is feasible to put into a single box for storage and you end up buying a SAN storage array and building out the SAN infrastructure to support it, etc.

Capacity augmentation is a system-wide expense.
JonyBelGeul
Premium Member
join:2008-07-31

3 edits

JonyBelGeul

Premium Member

said by SpaethCo:

said by kamm:

This doesn't magically happen though. You know what, hard drives are getting cheaper and larger every day. How much did your hard drive magically increase in size last month?

It isn't cheaper for you to add more storage -- you'd have to spend cash to get more capacity -- but you'll get more storage for your dollar this time around than you did the last time you bought a hard drive. Except eventually you run out of what is feasible to put into a single box for storage and you end up buying a SAN storage array and building out the SAN infrastructure to support it, etc.

Capacity augmentation is a system-wide expense.

I remember my first 1GB drive, paid $250. Now I can buy a 2TB drive for the exact same number of dollars, $250. That's a 2,000-fold increase in capacity. And a proportionate drop in price due to inflation.

2,000-fold increase in capacity for the same price. Think about it.

Fun With Math!

$250/1GB = $250 per GB.
$250/2TB = $0.125 per GB!!!!

If instead of substituting, I'm adding, I end up paying $0.249 per GB because I paid a total $500 for 2,001GB. The same principle applies to bandwidth. As cheaper and faster alternatives are invented, the total price per Mbps drops, and the total available bandwidth increases.

But you're right, it always costs more to add stuff. But then I'm right too, it always costs less per unit.

But if I keep adding 2TB drives, I pay less and less and less per GB. Now imagine a 3ZB (ziggabyte, hugelol) drive for $50. Or a 4GB or 4GpB (googolbyte, googolplexbyte) drive.

15 years ago, 56K = $30/month
Today, 5Mbps = $30/month
100-fold increase in speed for the same price. How can this be unless wholesale bandwidth has grown cheaper?