Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to moribundman

Premium Member

to moribundman

Re: [General] PPPoE or DHCP with Earthlink (Mac OS X 10.4)?

Earthlink is PPPoE. You have to enter your Username/Password combo somewhere (either in the Modem/Router or in the PC) in order to get a Public IP Address from Earthlink. Now if you enter your PPPoE credentials into a Modem/Router then it handles PPPoE on its WAN side and then on the LAN side of the Modem/Router to your PC will need to use DHCP in order to get a Private IP from the Modem/Router LAN side. That may be what is causing the confusion.

moribundman
@mindspring.com

moribundman

Anon

Thank you for this helpful explanation. I do have to enter my username and my ISP password into my Network settings under "PPPoE."

I do not see anything about DHCP (unless I use my Airport wireless router between the modem and the Mac). I presume the DHCP magic occurs invisibly without me doing anything?

The only time I see anything about DHCP in the Network settings, is when I set up the Airport (Apple wireless router) which is connected to the modem. Then I have the DHCP option in addition to the PPPoE option.

However, I do not use the Airport (wireless router) now. I have the modem connected to the Mac directly with an ethernet cable. In my Network settings, when I choose "Built-in Ethernet," the available menu tabs are "TCP/IP, PPPoE, and Ethernet. There's no sight of DHCP settings, although under "TCP/IP" I do see the two DNS server IP numbers for Open DNS, which I once added while I was still using the wireless Airport router.

I am still befuddled to some degree.
nick11
join:2005-07-17
Chicago, IL

nick11 to Doctor Olds

to Doctor Olds
question for the forum

is the motorola 2200 modem able to do the PPPoE?

if not, how about the Airport router?

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by nick11:

question for the forum

is the motorola 2200 modem able to do the PPPoE?

if not, how about the Airport router?

»AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »Motorola/Netopia 2210

»Apple - AirPort Express

»Apple - AirPort Extreme
nick11
Chicago, IL

1 edit

nick11

thanks for the links. on the 2210 faq I found this:

»AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »Can I set up the Motorola 2210 without using the Installation CD?

Open a browser session and enter "192.168.1.254" in the address field. Enter your BellSouth Username followed by "@bellsouth.net" in the User ID field. Enter your BellSouth Password in the Password field. Re-enter your BellSouth Password in the Confirm Password field. Click on Next. Update the Auto Calender Update Configuration as desired and click Next. The modem will try to initiate a session and then return to the main menu. If you get a connection error message make sure your username and password are correct and click Connect again.

I take it then, that the 2210 can do the PPPoE?

Also, the original poster has earthlink dsl. is bellsouth doing things differently from earthlink?

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

All of the devices have PPPoE built into their Firmware as well as all modern OSes.

PPPoE can be setup in the Modem or in a single PC. When it is setup in a PC, then the Modem is normally set to Bridged/Bridged Ethernet Mode so that PPPoE behind the Modem can connect as it would normally be blocked due to NAT/NAPT. Wherever the PPPoE is handled is what gets the Public IP. EL and AT&T work the same in that regard.
nick11
Chicago, IL

nick11

thanks a lot for your help doctor. I wasn't sure if the 2200 can do the PPPoE stuff. I know my 4100 can do it, but I wasn't sure for my friend.
said by Doctor Olds:

PPPoE can be setup in the Modem or in a single PC.

is there a good reason to do the PPPoE on the PC and not on the modem? I'm under the impression that if you do the PPPoE on the PC, you incur a lot more overhead.
nick11

nick11

I thought I better tell you this in case it is a typo. On »AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »Motorola 2210 HTML-Based Menu Simulator it says

An online, html-based modem simulator program for the Motorola 2210-02-3341 specifically for the former SBC region is available here.

But the AT&T page says the simulator is for the 2210-02-1006.

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to nick11

Premium Member

to nick11
said by nick11:

said by Doctor Olds:

PPPoE can be setup in the Modem or in a single PC.

is there a good reason to do the PPPoE on the PC and not on the modem? I'm under the impression that if you do the PPPoE on the PC, you incur a lot more overhead.

There are pluses and minuses when you have the PC handle the PPPoE. A big minus is that you can only use one PC as it gets the one Public IP your are allowed on your account. If you let the Modem handle PPPoE it gets the Public IP and gives out Private IPs to anything on the LAN Side so then you can have multiple PCs (when you provide a 10/100 Multi-port Switch) and the Earthlink supplied ZyXEL Modems are pre-configured to handle 32 PCs in it's LAN DHCP Pool. There are other pluses and minuses
nick11
Chicago, IL

1 edit

nick11

thanks doctor. I should have remembered the one PC limitation. I had heard it and I forgot it. anyway.

my friend has a Motorola 2210-02-1002 modem. I was looking on the »EarthLink DSL FAQ and couldn't find any instructions for how to setup PPPoE on the modem and DHCP on the computer for the 2210. then I looked at »EarthLink DSL FAQ »How do I set my PC or Mac to DHCP to use a Router, VoIP ATA or UHP Modem? and followed the OSX link but it's dead. any idea where can I find instructions to for how to setup PPPoE on the modem and DHCP on the computer for the 2210?
nick11

2 edits

nick11 to Doctor Olds

to Doctor Olds
I just found out the Motorola 2210-02-1002 modem wasn't provided by earthlink but was bought by the user.

earthlink gave him a zyxel. the zyxel died and he went to buy a new modem. the 2210 was saying 'mac compatible' and 'earthlink compatible' so he bought it

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by nick11:

I just found out the Motorola 2210-02-1002 modem wasn't provided by earthlink but was bought by the user.

earthlink gave him a zyxel. the zyxel died and he went to buy a new modem. the 2210 was saying 'mac compatible' and 'earthlink compatible' so he bought it

All Ethernet based ADSL Modems are "Mac and PC compatible" and even work with all flavors of Unix, Linux, OS/2 and other OSes that use the standard TCP/IP stack.

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac to nick11

MVM

to nick11
said by nick11:

I just found out the Motorola 2210-02-1002 modem wasn't provided by earthlink but was bought by the user

The part number 2210-02-1002 is a at&t part number
Have a look at this picture of a 2210-02-1002 configuration page
2210-02-1002 configuration page
If it matches what your friend has here's instructions for setting up the 2210-02-1002

Connect the modem directly to a computer
Go to this modem configuration page
192.168.1.254/confConnWT108.htm
Enter your user id and password
Set the connection type to always attempt to connect
Select no, use private ip address
Click the save changes button
Here's a picture of the connection configuration page
connection configuration page

Here a link to instructions for setting a computer to use dhcp
setting a computer to use dhcp
moribundman
join:2011-02-26

moribundman

Hi everyone, and thanks for the feedback.

When I put "192.168.1.254/confConnWT108.htm" in my browser I get this pop-up message:

Safari can’t open the page “»192.168.1.254/confConnWT ··· tm” because Safari can’t connect to the server “192.168.1.254”.
nick11
Chicago, IL

nick11 to wayjac

to wayjac
thanks guys. and the cisco link has mac instructions too which is nice.

I asked him what happens when he clicks on »192.168.1.254/ or »192.168.1.254/confConnWT108.htm, and he tells me that safari tries to load it, nothing loads and he gets a blank page. any idea what's wrong? the 192.168.1.254 address is written on the modem too. maybe he needs to do a reset on the modem first? do you hold the reset button for 10 seconds for a reset? the 2210 is connected directly to the mac.

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

2 edits

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

You cannot reach a Private IP while the PC/Mac is using PPPoE and has a Public IP. They would have to undo the PPPoE settings and disconnect, then they would have to set their TCP/IP settings tab to automatically obtain IP info from the Modem (they have to remove anything/everything configured manually on the TCP/IP properties/settings tab -- Yes, even remove manually set DNS that was set to Open DNS. You instead would setup the Modem to assign Open DNS via DHCP during setup so that every PC, Mac or Console connected would all be set to use the Open DNS IPs saved in the Modem). Then they should have full access via DHCP to the Modem's Private IP. If they don't then the Modem would need a reset (read the AT&T FAQ to find the correct reset procedure), and then everything would need to be powered cycled off then on again. After that the Modem can be setup to handle PPPoE and to use any DNS IPs on the LAN they desire.

HTH
nick11
Chicago, IL

nick11

Thank you Doctor. You helped a lot. wayjac too.

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

1 edit

Doctor Olds to moribundman

Premium Member

to moribundman
You cannot be connected to Earthlink using PPPoE on the PC/Mac as that blocks access to the 192.168.x.y IP of the Modem.

Then you have to clear everything from the TCP/IP tab and set it up to automatically obtain IP Address Info (aka DHCP). Remove all manual entries including DNS IPs.

You may also have to reset the Modem if it is in Bridged Ethernet Mode to turn back on the Modem's DHCP server.

Make sure the power is off to the 2210 and the PC/Mac. Then power up the modem and the PC/Mac. Now press the reset button on the back of the 2210 for 10 seconds.

Open your browser and type »192.168.1.254 in the address box to gain access to the 2210 web interface.

»AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »Can I set up the Motorola 2210 without using the Installation CD?

»AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »How do I set up a Motorola 2210 to work with a hub or switch?

»AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »How do I set the Motorola 2210 modem to an Always On Connection?
moribundman

moribundman

Thank you, Doctor Olds. I apologize in advance for my computer illiteracy.

You said, "You cannot be connected to Earthlink using PPPoE on the PC/Mac as that blocks access to the 192.168.x.y IP of the Modem."

How am I currently connected, because my connection is working?

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

Your Mac is creating the PPPoE connection and that is giving the Mac a Public IP from Earthlink. You need to change to getting a Private 192.168.y.z IP from the Modem by removing the PPPoE settings under your Network settings after telling the Mac to disconnect the current PPPoE session.
quote:
I do have to enter my username and my ISP password into my Network settings under "PPPoE."
You will be moving the Username/Password into the Modem instead and they will no longer be used or stored in the Mac Network settings.

That is then the Mac using DHCP (the TCP/IP tab set to all automatic) to the Modem and the Modem using PPPoE to the Earthlink DSL hardware.
moribundman

moribundman

Thanks again! Of course I have again a question: what are the drawbacks of the way I am connecting at the moment?
nick11
Chicago, IL

nick11

1. unnecessary overhead?

2. you can't connect more than 1 devices at the net at the same time