how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

postjosh

join:2006-01-01
New York, NY

westell 7500 doesn't auto-connect ppp

hi. i recently switched to a westell 7500. when i power up, i get a solid dsl light but the internet led doesn't come on by itself. i work around this by going to the network connection profile

i've attached screen shots to illustrate:

1) it usually says connecting but never connects. i then click on the edit button. i don't change anything in the profile and then click on apply.

2)when i get back to the profile, it now says down and gives me the option to connect.

3)i click the connect button and am almost instantly connected.

any ideas on how to fix this so that the modem automatically connects?
thanks much!

- josh

datguy9

@verizon.net

The modem is supposed to auto-connect on its own. COuld be a modem problem or a problem on verizons end with the port or router in the C.O.

postjosh

New York, NY

thanks for the reply. i did swap out the modem but the problem was identical with the new modem.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

Have you looked at the connection profile
If the connection type is not set to the always on setting change it

postjosh

New York, NY

it's set to always on. here's my profile. thanks, josh

postjosh

New York, NY

one more thing i noticed... when i power cycle the modem i have the problem but if i use the web interface and "reboot gateway" from the advanced menu the problem does not occur. very strange. i'm beginning to think that it is a firmware issue with this modem.

Software Version: VER:5.01.00.02

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

I've seen this happen from time to time on a friend's Westell 7500 where after a power cycle it'll basically get stuck on making a PPP connection. Pressing connect in the modem always connects it within a few seconds. I couldn't tell you what causes it since the modem does manage to connect quickly after it reboots or is coming up from a power outage. I'd place good bets on a bug somewhere.

lunghd

join:2011-02-13
Elliston, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to postjosh

I am also having this same issue (among others w/ line sync). Just got off phone (AGAIN!) w/ Verizon and they are sending me out a replacement 7500.
My gateway has indicated other issues as well but this time when we lost connection it was exactly the same as yours & Verizon was able to verify the issue from their end.

postjosh

New York, NY

so i'm not crazy... thanks, smith6612!

lunghd, i'm curious if your second modem fixes the problem. mine didn't. i just made a bookmark of

192.168.1.1/htmlV/restart.asp'

now, i can show my wife an easy way to reboot.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

Never mind.

JohnNWPVNJMH
Premium
join:2007-03-26
Berkeley Heights, NJ
reply to postjosh

I have observed this behavior on our DSL as well. The PPP status would be disconnected anytime the router is rebooted by power cycle.

Internet LED off - DSL LED illuminated.

The only resolution is to manually connect as the OP illustrated.

===

Westell 7500 Rev W

Software Version: VER:5.01.00.02
Transceiver Revision: A2pB020b3.d20h
Model Name: A90-750015-07

postjosh

New York, NY
reply to postjosh

for what it's worth, i've just posted the problem to the forums over at verizon.com:

forums.verizon.com/t5/High-Speed···p/287049'

postjosh

New York, NY
reply to postjosh

i finally resolved the issue. a very helpful verizon rep in the verizon direct forum figured it out. apparently, the 7500 has a battery backup which means that if you power cycle the modem too quickly, it won't reset. you need to power down for a full minute (or two) and then re-power the modem. it will then reconnect via ppp properly.

thanks for all your help,

josh

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

The version rep told you the 7500 has a battery backup?

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
Netcong, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to postjosh

said by postjosh:

i finally resolved the issue. a very helpful verizon rep in the verizon direct forum figured it out. apparently, the 7500 has a battery backup ...

What page of the users manual is that listed on? I can't seem to find it.

Perhaps there is a capacitor that can keep it going for a few seconds.

postjosh

New York, NY

1 recommendation

said by batterup:

What page of the users manual is that listed on? I can't seem to find it.

Perhaps there is a capacitor that can keep it going for a few seconds.

i suspect you are right. the rep used the term "internal battery" but capacitor makes more sense to me. my standard procedure is to turn the power off, count to five and turn it back on. that was causing my problem. i doubt you have to wait the full two minutes but five seconds definitely isn't enough. i've noticed that the whole modem is pretty slow to power up.

i'm curious how well it recovers from a loss of sync. i was away last week and after 3 days i was no longer able to log in because the modem had lost sync and the auto connect wasn't able to recover on it's own. that's what got me started on this whole inquiry.

this is my home network. at my studio, i also have dsl. there i'm running a westel modem sans router (i forget the model) and i attach it to a the ubiquitous linksys 54 router running tomato firmware. that system is rock solid. i almost never have to touch a thing.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
reply to postjosh

That's rather interesting to hear. Perhaps they could have been taking about the capacitors inside of a 7500 maintaining a little bit of charge to somehow store the PPP sessions? It would explain some small issues that are being seen but generally when RAM loses power, the contents of it are instantly corrupted.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
reply to postjosh

Have you tried a different modem or using a router to make the pppoe connection

hubrisnxs

join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

weird weird bug.

lunghd

join:2011-02-13
Elliston, VA
reply to postjosh

New gateway is up & running today - it seems to be handling XBOX Live and flash video streaming far better than the old one but too soon to know if it fixed the issue for me. I'll post back in a few days.

postjosh

New York, NY
reply to wayjac

said by wayjac:

Have you tried a different modem or using a router to make the pppoe connection

yes, i have the problem on two different 7500's. it seems reasonable to expect the customer two wait 2 mins. before re-powering the modem. what concerns me is the reliability of the auto-connect to handle disruptions in the dsl service. my original modem dropped a connection while i was traveling in february and did not auto-reconnect.

the problem has not reoccurred and only time will tell how reliable my second modem is...

i do have another router that i could add to the setup and use for ppp. i would then put the westell into bridge mode. it's just that i don't want to have more electronic junk under the desk in our bedroom and it seems like a waste of electricity. i'm already running an airport express on this setup to get wireless "n" connectivity. if the express did qos, i would use it as the router but i digress...

thanks to all! - josh

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

said by postjosh:

what concerns me is the reliability of the auto-connect to handle disruptions in the dsl service. my original modem dropped a connection while i was traveling in february and did not auto-reconnect

I would have a look at the modems log
Disconnecting the telephone cable from the modem may be a better way to test the auto-connect

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
Netcong, NJ

said by wayjac:

I would have a look at the modems log
Disconnecting the telephone cable from the modem may be a better way to test the auto-connect

After one does that make sure to turn the power off to reset the modem stats so the modem won't tell Verizon that there was a loss of signal especially if its done several times. The modem records and stores every loss of signal.

I can't say for sure if doing that was the cause but my sync speed was reduced after I did that several times and stayed low for a week. Verizon "optimizes" DSL circuits to reduce trouble calls.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

said by batterup:

After one does that make sure to turn the power off to reset the modem stats so the modem won't tell Verizon that there was a loss of signal especially if its done several times. The modem records and stores every loss of signal

Verizon's dslam is the other modem it takes two for dsl to work and the dslam can gather all dsl info
said by batterup:

I can't say for sure if doing that was the cause but my sync speed was reduced after I did that several times and stayed low for a week. Verizon "optimizes" DSL circuits to reduce trouble calls

When the dsl line gets noisy the dslam and modem can adjust the sync speed automatically at every retrain

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
Netcong, NJ

said by wayjac:

When the dsl line gets noisy the dslam and modem can adjust the sync speed automatically at every retrain

Does the DSLAM know the difference between a boot ether by turning off the power or with the modem software and a modem boot because of a loss of signal?

The modem does and and will record a loss if signal if one disconnects the telephone cord.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

The DSLAM will see a loss of signal as a loss of signal, regardless of what happens. The next time the DSLAM and modem attempt to sync, both pieces of equipment will negotiate the best rate for the line given the conditions of it. The only time the DSLAM might notice a loss of sync as being a result of line noise would be if the SNR dips too low and CRC errors begin racking up.

The modems do have CWMP access to them, so if it's a Verizon modem, Verizon might have a system in place that automatically gathers the modem's log when it syncs up. Who knows what they use the CWMP Agent for besides giving the support agents a tool to reach the modem.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
Netcong, NJ

OK so the DSLAM doesn't care if the modem records a loss of signal or not. That is what happens when I ass/u/me.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
reply to batterup

said by batterup:

Does the DSLAM know the difference between a boot ether by turning off the power or with the modem software and a modem boot because of a loss of signal?

No....just a loss of dsl sync will not cause the modem to reboot
Many modems will erase the log during a reboot

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
Netcong, NJ

said by wayjac:

No....just a loss of dsl sync will not cause the modem to reboot
Many modems will erase the log during a reboot

OK I misspoke, I meant cause the modem to reconnect. That was my concern that pulling the telephone plug causes the modem to record a loss of signal. That is why I suggested booting the modem to erase this record because I thought perhaps the DSLAM would read this as a line problem.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

Ok....I just don't think any telco monitors the dslam the way you think they do