All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mojoboogie
join:2011-01-22
Placitas, NM

mojoboogie

Did I buy a stolen Arris telephony/modem?

I have been using an Arris TM602G telephony/modem for the past few years for internet/cable/phone. This modem works great but cost me $7 a month. So I buy this exact same modem for $89 from the web site ownyourmodem.com out of Utah with a "100% money back guarantee if they do not function properly". After spending more than one month trying to register this modem, the Comcast Escalation Team tells me it cannot be registered because the computer comes up with an "equipment duplicate error". The best I can understand is the MAC ID and serial number show the unit is either listed in another companies leasing inventory or is a previously rented unit that Comcast provided to another customer.
Either way I have a non-functonal modem. (ownyoumodem.com refuses to respond to my email's requesting return for refund). I believe I have a stolen modem. Any ideas, suggestions, comments? Looks like I bought a mighty expensive paperweight....._

mb6
join:2000-07-23
Washington, NJ

mb6

Call them, they list a phone number on their "about us" page. Tell them that you have a thread going here about the issue and that a ton of potential customers read the forums at broadbandreports.com .

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to mojoboogie

MVM

to mojoboogie
I would report them to the BBB, too. If they're selling fraudulent equipment and ignoring your correspondence, then maybe a nice letter in which you mention you'd like your money back per their guarantee, or they will be hearing from your legal counsel.

nerdburg
Premium Member
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA

2 recommendations

nerdburg to mojoboogie

Premium Member

to mojoboogie
If you paid by credit card, contact your credit card company. If they sent the modem through the US mail, file a compliant with the post office.

I notice they say this on their web site:

***WARNING: WATCH OUT FOR SELLERS WHO ARE SELLING MODEMS YOU CAN'T USE THAT ARE LISTED IN COMPANIES LEASING INVENTORIES!! WE BACK OURS UP WITH A MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!!***

That seems a bit ironic.

And not to chastise you, but seriously-- you bought something on the Internet from someone with a hotmail customer service address?

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech to mojoboogie

Premium Member

to mojoboogie
What made you think that you could use a purchased eMTA with your service?

As stated all over the place, you can either purchase one through comcast or one of THEIR authorized retailers (currently Best Buy) if it's available in your area. Otherwise, part of having their phone service is renting the emta.

defiant8
join:2000-09-04
Monroe, MI

defiant8 to pflog

to pflog
Contacting the BBB is a waste of time; there's nothing they can do to really resolve the issue. Perhaps, contacting the Utah (or wherever this company is based) Attorney General's office would be a little more helpful.

And, yeah, handing over money to anyone, online or elsewhere, without doing a little research is foolish.

Cubbies
join:2009-12-11

1 edit

Cubbies to mojoboogie

to mojoboogie
Always be spectacle of an retailer using an hotmail email address.

Anyways i got this from who is data base hope it helps
»www.networksolutions.com ··· odem.com

Kocherhans, Aaron jazzticketman@hotmail.com
895 S 635 W
Orem, UT 84058
US
+801.3602512

Google maps Shows it to be a nice 2 story house

View Map

MOWAA
join:2010-03-25
Fort Lauderdale, FL

MOWAA

said by Cubbies:

Google maps Shows it to be a nice 2 story house

Well know we know how he paid for it.. :>
alstonas
join:2011-02-14

alstonas to mojoboogie

to mojoboogie
Though you have the option of money back guarantee, so please do not waste your time. I had the same situation few months back and had to change the modem. Fortunately, I purchased it from the friend of my friend and he returned it back and gave me my money. I think you should use your money back option.
HarleyWJones
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Grayson, GA

HarleyWJones to mojoboogie

Premium Member

to mojoboogie
I realize this thread is kinda cold, but I just have to share my experience with this company. (OwnYourModem.com)

I have been buying things on the net since Al Gore invented it. I have been stiffed one time by a company that went out of business while my order was in process. They quit business and took everyone's money. I only lost a few dollars on a parts order. They never reopened. That, I almost understand.

This OwnYourModem.com outfit is in a class by itself. I ordered a Cisco DP3000 from them on 4/8. The website said they had 127 in stock. It was a hard to find modem at a decent price so I bought it. Paid with PayPal since they have "Buyer Protection" if something goes wrong.

After a week went by and no contact from them, I sent an e-mail looking for my purchase. They wrote me back saying that they had no way to reach me to tell me they didn't have the modem and couldn't get it. They claim when PayPal sent them the money they forgot to include my name, address, and e-mail, so they couldn't and didn't try to reach me. Anyway they said they would refund my PayPal account within a week. A week went by with no action. After sending them a couple of e-mails demanding my money back, I decided to call them. Mr. Kocherhans was very rude, telling me I would get my refund when they felt like it and hung up on me.

After that I started the complaint procedure with PayPal. There are mandatory waiting periods each step of the way giving the merchant a chance to respond. Kocherhans never responded, so the PayPal complaint escalated to another level. Now they have another two weeks to respond. I think they are deliberately stalling the process to hang on to my money as long as they can.

Now it is the 22nd and still no money, and still waiting for PayPal to "protect" me. Kocherhans wrote me the other day telling me I could file as many complaints as I want, and that he was sticking to the policy of a refund taking a week. He ignored the fact that it has been over two weeks since they took my cash.

In retrospect I see I was just too trusting, and a fool for dealing with a seller with a free e-mail account.

Shame on me.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to mojoboogie

Premium Member

to mojoboogie
Reply meant for Payola77

Very difficult to read your composition. FWIW, it is not a good idea to post your phone number and E-Mail addy on a public forum.

Payola77
@comcast.net

1 edit

Payola77 to mojoboogie

Anon

to mojoboogie

Re: My experience with OwnYouModem

HI~My name is personal info removed by a moderator,

On March 5th, 20111 I bought and Arris TM502G from OwnYourModen.com ona BUY now basis ~

When I got the mdem I called Comcast with the CMAC # to register it~ At first the guy was Really nice adn said Sure NP at all we'll get you set up~ TRhen I gave him the CMAC #~HE came abck and told me he needed to check with someone~

I waited about 10 Minutes ~ Hhe came back and told me that Id have to take my Leased Modem and the one i bought to my Service Center and that all would be taken care of there. I asked if there was a problem and he said no but this is the BEST way to get it done.

The Following Day I thook BOTH Modens to my local Sevice Center where I THEN found that the Modem id Bouth From Aaron Was Also registered to soemoen in ST Paul MN.

I sent all of this ifno to Aaron who was QUITE rude ~Though not as Bad as his Dad is ~HES a REAL ASS ~Arron DID refund my moent to my CC Via Paypla withing a week ~

b4 that he asked me to SEND it to his TESTER on Crete Ill ~Which I did Via priorty mail wuth him saying hed refund ANY and ALl Shipping expenses ~

about a DAY afte the Person in Crete IL got it She Called me and asked why the Modem was registered to someoen in St Paul MN.
I TOld her I was Told By Arron tosend it to her to Test tit as Id bought it from him and he wanted Verification that it was registred~ She then told me that shed BOUGHT the Same Modem from him for 54.00 ~ Shes ha also gottten her mony back but Not the shipping.

Yes terday I bought ny 2nd one from e-bay ~ Chanecked with Comcast on the CMAC # B$ buying nad was told all was FINE ~ Got the Modem ~ Tried to gegister it and was told it would take anothe rday as they had to contact the Warehouse ~ HE Called me back the NExt day and told me that this moden was Registered to Someone in Grand Rapids Ill.

I Told them that yes They had todl me they BOUTH the modemand had used it ONE day b4 her Dad went into the hospital and passed away.

Ive Since contacted her and shes willing to send me my mone back
and I also HAD a ERY Long talk with a Senior Exuctive from Comcast~ They NOW Require the CMAC # Plust the TMA CMA # the ONLY Differrence is the LAST # ~ other than that there the same ~

I told him that from now own when a person liek me On Oregon calls in for a CMAC confirmation and Im told its ALL good ~ Than when they do the NATIONAL Database they find its Registred soemwhere else that they NEED to Open there COMPLETE National Databse. otherwise were all jsut fools for thinking that one is good when in trality its NOT.

He agreed completly with me adn said they would take action~ He then offered me a BRAND NEw Moden for 100 bucks and a big Credit on my Bill plus Paying for the shipping back of my LEASED Modem.

In Regard to Aaron ~ Ive got so Many #s for him incliding his home Cell, Parents you name it i have it ~ The kid is like 23-24 yrs old and a complete ASS

Personal info removed by a moderator.

My NEXT call will eb to the Attrny General Of UTAH as this kids NOTHING but A SCAM ARTIST and One big LIAR~hope you all have agreat weekned~TC ~Steve
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to mojoboogie

to mojoboogie

Re: Did I buy a stolen Arris telephony/modem?

mojoboogie:

I would recommend calling Arris and ask them the company the modem was sold to. Most manufactures maintain a database that lists by serial number what company the equipment is sold to. Arris should be able to tell you who the modem was sold to and if it was a cable company or retailer. I had a problem with the first modem that I purchased because I bought a open box unit from Best Buy. It was registered by a customer that had technical issues and was unable to use it. When they returned it to Best Buy the MAC Address remained in the cable companies data base. A second level CSR discovered the canceled order that had not been completed and cleared the MAC Address. After that the installation was completed without other issues. There might be one other issue, the modem was sold through a retail channel and the customer did not pay their final bill after they canceled service so the cable company black listed the modem.
mojoboogie
join:2011-01-22
Placitas, NM

mojoboogie

Thought you might want to hear the final outcome of this little story.

After failing to respond to my emails I called ownyourmodem.com. They found it quite hard to believe the modem they sold to me was not functional. They were not interested in me returning the modem directly to them for a full refund. Rather, they insisted the modem needed to be sent to be tested. After a few days they did finally provide an address in Florida to mail the moden for testing. Now this company is in Utah. The modem was originally USPS mailed to me from an apartment address in California. Now they want me to sent it to Florida with no reassurance of a refund. At this point I gave a "no confidence" vote instigated by their questionable business practices. I contacted my credit card company for possible fraud. The credit card company requested more information - luckily I had a print out of a chat session with Comcast Support outlining the whole issue. My card was credited the full amount.

I have not heard anything more from ownyourmodem.com

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako

Premium Member

It's the next customer.

My advise: string them along. If you pass by the USPS you can get a delivery confirmation form. Give them that as the tracking # and tell them it went out.

Or if you want to waste money ship the modem as instructed. Include a copy of this thread and a big note: returning defective modem for testing.
Expand your moderator at work
66670986 (banned)
join:2011-05-17
Orem, UT

66670986 (banned) to HarleyWJones

to HarleyWJones

He told you that you would get your refund when they felt like it? That is a stretch is sounds like? Did you register with the website? If not, then a lot of your information is not available including your email address and phone numbers. That would make it hard for a company to contact you wouldn't it? You can't always get what you want:(

66670986 (banned) to mojoboogie

to mojoboogie
I purchased a modem from Cox cable outright and then took it to Comcast to use it since it was on their approved modem list. Turns out Comcast tried to tell me that they owned it? After calling them on their bluff and proving to them where I bought it, they magically were all of a sudden able to figure out how to make it work with my Comcast services.Comcast is very shady when people try and use their own phone modems sometimes as I would not blame Ownyourmodem.com? If it was listed in another providers inventory then it would not affect Comcast at all? If it was owned by Comcast, then why didn't they tell you it was or wasn't instead of what sounds like the runaround? Sounds like Comcast played you for a fool when you are trying to ruin the small businesses in this country!
Jasonfn22
join:2009-11-20
Bethlehem, GA

Jasonfn22 to mojoboogie

to mojoboogie
Whats the old saying "If it was that easy everybody would be doing it" and I mean literally.I have a $40 modem I have been paying anywhere from 3 to $7 a month for almost 2 years.A DVR is way more expensive but about the same so I would love to be able to purchase my own EMTA but its not happening in my area as of now anyway.I hope you get your money back if not I would leave bad reviews any and everywhere possible.

flwepwr
@comcast.net

flwepwr to mojoboogie

Anon

to mojoboogie
1. go to the »www.fcc.gov/complaints web site.
2. File a complaint against both Comcast and the company you purchased the modem from.
3. Let them figure out who wants to make it right or get investigated by the governement.

I know Comcast has a policy to not support that modem, but that does not mean it s a legal policy, and suddenly things change when governments threaten to investigate. It may be Comcast has every right to not let it in, and the other company needs to take care of it, it may be comcast employees are being lazy and will change their mind when a regional sup starts chewing back side off them, either way it takes 5 minutes whats the worst that could happen? They say they cannot help you? I'll bet it ends differently.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

2 recommendations

Robert to 66670986

Premium Member

to 66670986
ModemWizard, I think you own or work for the company. How ironic you just registered, are from Orem, UT, and are defending this scam website!
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to 66670986

Premium Member

to 66670986
Did you not read the whole thread. They are having customers sending modems to new customers. This is a job for the state attorney general. this is outright fraud. Let the state attorney general shut them down which im sure they will do. It will come down to they either reimburse all the customers or they go to jail. most sates you can file a complaint online and i would include a link to this thread. Im not a lawyer but id suspect both mail fraud and credit card fraud will be charged.
HarleyWJones
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Grayson, GA

HarleyWJones to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
You must have received the same inane e-mail that I got from ModemWizard defending his company. He claimed I exaggerated the circumstances and facts in my post above and mentioned something about slander. He couldn't be farther from the truth. My cautions about this outfit remain.
66670986 (banned)
join:2011-05-17
Orem, UT

66670986 (banned) to mojoboogie

to mojoboogie
Ownyourmodem.com does have an outstanding over 99% positive feedback rating on Ebay, and 100% postitive on Amazon. Sounds like if you put as much effort into this thread posting it as you did in trying to resolve the issue then you wouldn't be one of the 1%?
Expand your moderator at work

1 edit

66670986 (banned) to flwepwr

to flwepwr

The problem is with Comcast as they post on their website Comcast.com a list of approved modems that you can buy that work with their system. Then when you try and register it, they violate anti-trust laws by telling you the only modem they will let you use is an Arris TM722G because they have a deal with Arris to sell them marked way up through certain Best Buy stores. Then they will charge you for a Tech to come out and make a few phone calls to activate it for you. I am telling all you out there who aren't so ignorant to believe all this BS that trouble 1% of society likes to stir up, that Ownyourmodem.com has sold hundreds of different Arris models to help people avoid the Comcast price monopoly. So quite listening to the 1% and you 1% quit ruining it for everyone else with your blind chatter!

66670986 (banned) to Robert

to Robert
Actually I am a repeat customer from these guys and am disgusted with Comcast robbing people of modem lease fees and came across this on a search for one of their products. They have literally saved people thousands and have figured out how to get past the phone monopoly boycott by Comcast which you guys are just as dirty as Comcast for trying to ruin it for everyone based on what? What is your relationship to this company, or are you just throwing your 2 cents out their because you have the time? Does over 99% positive feedback on both Ebay and Amazon with thousands of transactions performed hold any weight with you guys? It certainly tells me something about you. Check it out yourself!

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

What is your relationship with Ownyourmodem.com?