rodjames
Premium
join:2010-06-19
Gloucester, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·loclhost.ca

SNMP Public String

I have one of the Cogeco-provided RCA Thompson modem, and I wanted to build my own app to monitor the connection, such as SNR, uptime, etc for my desktop.

The modem does not respond to the default public string. Is it hidden for any particular reason? I would like to take advantage of the device's information on a low level to make a neat application. Is there any way I can get the public read-only community string for the device, so I can access this information?

Bry

join:2008-12-31
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
I believe it's filtered, it doesn't respond to queries at all.. it may however work when the modem sends DHCP offers for the 192.168.100/24 subnet.

I'm not sure, as for why they locked it down, they do that sort of thing. It's Cogeco.

-Bry.
--
Sometimes I'm rude, this is known.

join:2011-01-14
reply to rodjames
I'd like access to SNMP too.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to Bry
said by Bry:

I'm not sure, as for why they locked it down,

to thwart modem uncapping.
--
The shortest distance between 2 points adds 1.5 stars to T. want $25? solve »coord.info/GC20A37 for me

Bry

join:2008-12-31
Canada
I don't see how that's relevant, AFAIK that's communicated over the coaxial with TFTP.

Public read-only LAN accessible SNMP would be harmless.

-Bry.
--
Sometimes I'm rude, this is known.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
said by Bry:

I don't see how that's relevant, AFAIK that's communicated over the coaxial with TFTP.

Public read-only LAN accessible SNMP would be harmless.

-Bry.

...Easier to lock it all down....that way you can't see the contents of the .cm file that is sent to the modem. That's why they have filtered SNMP.

Nothing would in theory stop you from setting up your own TFTP server and sending an "altered" .cm file to the cable modem.

Also, to avoid these sorts of scenarios...The call centre doesn't need calls from people saying my downstream SNR went from 34db to 33db and then back, whats going on, or my downstream power level went from 0dbmv to 4dbmv and then back to 0dbmv...what gives Cogeco?

There's no logical reason that end users would need to track this information. Especially since its not always 100% accurate.

rodjames
Premium
Gloucester, ON
reply to rodjames
I don't want to go the route of sending the modem any customized firmware or control updates. I'd really like to just see my snmp public info for curiosity sakes.

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
reply to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

Also, to avoid these sorts of scenarios...The call centre doesn't need calls from people saying my downstream SNR went from 34db to 33db and then back, whats going on, or my downstream power level went from 0dbmv to 4dbmv and then back to 0dbmv...what gives Cogeco?

why?

got_milk

join:2007-08-22
Georgetown, ON
said by Last Parade:

said by nitzguy:

why?

Not only that, but those with the know-how to set up SNMP in the first place wouldn't be calling in with those kinds of questions in the first place. (I hope).

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to Last Parade
said by Last Parade:

said by nitzguy:

why?

Because much like your blood pressure, there will be changes in "signal strength" over the course of a day, cables heat up, changing the signal strength over the course of the day, but nothing to cause alarm or a problem in regards to the service.

To Got_milk, trust me, after taking 45k + calls, these are the exact people who would call in asking questions as to why this happenned.

rodjames
Premium
Gloucester, ON
I'm not interested in calling the tech support center for any reason other than a total outage. I just would like to see the snmp strings for curiosity sake.

Thanks for all your comments though, lot of interesting opinions.

ruddypict

join:2010-03-24
kudos:2
said by rodjames:

I'm not interested in calling the tech support center for any reason other than a total outage. I just would like to see the snmp strings for curiosity sake.

Thanks for all your comments though, lot of interesting opinions.

No SNMP public string, no checking out IPV6 early, no way to hook your own built PVR onto their cable infrastructure. Ever get the feeling that Cogeco doesn't like early adoptors and power users?

got_milk

join:2007-08-22
Georgetown, ON
said by ruddypict:

Ever get the feeling that Cogeco doesn't like early adoptors and power users?

This is hardly a new feeling for me.

rodjames
Premium
Gloucester, ON
reply to ruddypict
Yeah for sure. I remember about 8 years ago in Kingston when you could straight up browse your neighbor's pc's because the connection was set up in such a way (shared) and you could just go through every IP on the netblock looking for open PC's

cog_biz_user

@cgocable.net
reply to rodjames
can you scrape it from http? the web interface runs on 192.168.100.1...

exseven
Premium,VIP
join:2003-05-23
L8E0G6
kudos:1
There are utilities that will scrape from the web interface. As well I think there are some cacti templates and plugins that scape as well

rodjames
Premium
Gloucester, ON
reply to rodjames
I have no idea how to scrape the info from the web interface. Can you point me to a link for the software which would accomplish that? Or at least a RTFM on it?

Thanks!

exseven
Premium,VIP
join:2003-05-23
L8E0G6
kudos:1