spc
Search similar:

uniqs
stunod2002
join:2003-11-07
Carol Stream, IL

stunod2002

Moving modem

I'm doing some remodeling and would like to move my modem to another room.. Do I need to move the cable too or can I plug it into any one of the coax that the TV's are run off of?
anadunkerra
join:2011-02-19

anadunkerra

said by stunod2002:

I'm doing some remodeling and would like to move my modem to another room.. Do I need to move the cable too or can I plug it into any one of the coax that the TV's are run off of?

You need to move the cable too. You can not put the modem on "any" of the other cables. Period.

And, just an FYI- AT&T really DOES NOT want you to do this. If your install was done correctly- the line was conditioned- the ends were changed to UV approved, with UV approved barrels, torque, etc... Save yourself the headache and call in and request a dispatch on demand to have the RG moved. It'll cost you ball park of the $55. truck roll, and possibly jack work charges, but it will save bucket loads of trouble for all concerned-especially you.

Please let AT&T move the equipment. If you move it, you become what is known in prem tech land as "job security". YMMV

Thanks.
Ana

netboy34
Premium Member
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA

netboy34 to stunod2002

Premium Member

to stunod2002
depends on your original setup in how the vdsl signal is getting to the modem. in some cases it is better to pay for the tech as said previously
uversegod
join:2010-10-06
Oshkosh, WI

1 edit

uversegod

Service quality, internet speed, and tv performance depends greatly on the line preparation,torque settings on the connectors, the style of F connectors in use on the coax, the barrel dielectric compound of the wall plate, coax jumpers, kinks, bends, splices, etc. Do not move anything unless you want to potentially loose service, and receive a bill to restore functional services to your home. It is ALWAYS best to have a technician modify your install.

Uverse is not friendly to RadioShack or equivalent equipment.
anadunkerra

anadunkerra

said by uversegod:

That has to be the most incomplete analysis I have read yet....

Oh, Uversegod... Did I miss something? I'm feeling a bit Twilight Zoney... Is there a missing post or something? What are you talking about?

Yours truly,
Ana
stunod2002
Carol Stream, IL

stunod2002

said by anadunkerra:

said by uversegod:

That has to be the most incomplete analysis I have read yet....

Oh, Uversegod... Did I miss something? I'm feeling a bit Twilight Zoney... Is there a missing post or something? What are you talking about?

Yours truly,
Ana

Was wondering the same thing... Who are you jumping on guy?? Seems you have taken an assumption that I was cutting cables, replacing connectors, wall plates or some other stuff when all I am asking is if which cable it used was important. Clearly its is so I can not simply move my modem to another line..
uversegod
join:2010-10-06
Oshkosh, WI

uversegod to stunod2002

to stunod2002
I did not intend to jump on anyone. My apolgies to all. I was referencing the "depends on your original setup in how the vdsl signal is getting to the modem" comment.

Ana did a beautiful job explaining it, I just elaborated as to the why.

I realise that it came off strong, and i edited the post to reflect that. have a great day everyone

netboy34
Premium Member
Kennesaw, GA

netboy34

Premium Member

and you should know that there are different ways that it could have been set up. This is a board for many technical people, and if all the information is there, many of us can help (some here are even installers) I was infering that more information could be given for a clear answer, and since anadunkerra See Profile answered previously, I referenced that as well.

Nothing personal, but I'm seeing you coming off strong in multiple threads now... you might want to check how you answer things or you will make some people not like you very fast... We are all here to help and contribute, and your tone is coming off "your way or the highway"
anadunkerra

anadunkerra

said by netboy34:

Nothing personal, but I'm seeing you coming off strong in multiple threads now... you might want to check how you answer things or you will make some people not like you very fast... We are all here to help and contribute, and your tone is coming off "your way or the highway"

OMG-Netboy34 you owe me a keyboard. I have ice tea all over the place... I wouldn't doubt he isn't liked much at work either. Uversegod- any wars going on with I&R lately?

Ana

QC
Premium Member
join:2008-03-02
Cleveland, OH

QC

Premium Member

I'm really glad this is all cleared up now. I moved my RG and rewired everything myself a month ago, and I thought I was going to have to put it back or get an attorney.

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail to stunod2002

Premium Member

to stunod2002
I installed the CAT5e run myself from the NID to where I wanted the RG modem. Largely thanks to help and info from the users here.

My installer was happy he didn't have to do the work himself.
stunod2002
Carol Stream, IL

stunod2002

This is my goal here... To run all CAT 5.. I've had 2 installers out before (each time for what they claim the previous guys crappy work in making coax cables) so I decided to upgrade. I am an engineer for a telecom company (that makes ADSL and VDSL modems) so I have the skill... I figured the remodel I'm doing is the perfect oportunuty..

netboy34
Premium Member
Kennesaw, GA

netboy34

Premium Member

honestly if you are going to remodel, I would do a homerun to a central location for the modem, then run the rooms to that location making a star layout... I took a couple weekends and added runs in my home and works great. It also sets you up for future additions if you choose to leave for cable, or sell the house and the buyer wants something different...

I went even further and added flex conduit to the room locations to make it easier to add/change/remove lines in the future...
stunod2002
Carol Stream, IL

stunod2002

That's exactly what I'm doing.. I want to put the modem in my basement "utility closet" with a switch on each floor of the house. Those switches will go to the TV's, x-box, bed rooms, net cams, etc... I want make it so the only thing using wifi is my iPod and laptop while removing the need for the CoAX..

Michail
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail

Premium Member

My setup is similar as well. I only use wireless for truly portable devices and couldn't be happier with the setup. I also segmented out on different channels b/g to the RG and n only to my old router. Outside of my own screw-ups it's the most stable networking and Internet I've ever had at home.

Make sure you use a switch known to work with U-verse's multicasting. Most switches don't handle the multicast streams that well.
stunod2002
Carol Stream, IL

stunod2002

They have multicast issues on the ethernet as well? I knew about the Wi-Fi issues (Tried to do that last fall)...

I have a few Netgear swtiches on hand, hopefully they will work..

netboy34
Premium Member
Kennesaw, GA

1 edit

netboy34

Premium Member

If the switches have a good buffer size, they will do well...

the netgear GS series does this well and is what is carried on the trucks (if you are nice they might give you one or two)

Some do VLAN tagging, and others (like myself) physically separate the networks. I have one switch that only does STB's and another that only does Data. The RG has IMGP snooping and won't put the multicast packets on the data switch.

edit: Dang typos

Michail
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail to stunod2002

Premium Member

to stunod2002
said by stunod2002:

They have multicast issues on the ethernet as well? I knew about the Wi-Fi issues (Tried to do that last fall)...

I have a few Netgear swtiches on hand, hopefully they will work..

Yes, I experienced the problem first hand on a D-Link gigabit switch. The switch even had a status page for multicasting but it couldn't manage to pass them reliably to the STBs.

The Netgear GS108 was provided to me by AT&T and handles everything fine. Though I read it doesn't do IGMP snooping. So it's recommended to not put computers and STBs on the same switch. However, I've been sharing a few PCs and other devices on a switch with two connected STBs and haven't had any problems with the setup.
Michail

Michail to netboy34

Premium Member

to netboy34
I should perhaps segment my STBs as such. I meant to get around to it but haven't seen any adverse issues yet. But I know multicasting did knock the D-Link router kind of hard.
stunod2002
Carol Stream, IL

1 edit

stunod2002

Never been a fan of D-LINK... Every device of theres that I've used sucked IMO... Just seems cheap and poorly built.. Especially their WiFi gear..
stunod2002

stunod2002 to Michail

to Michail
well found out my netgear switch doesn't work to well with the STB's...

It's a 10/100 but one of their newest models so I was hoping it would have worked.. I have a few other models to check out before I go and buy a new one...