joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako

Premium Member

[Cable HSI] Advertising Revenue / Derrivative Works

Hello:

It has come to my attention that when MediaCom customers visit my websites MediaCom creates a derivative work of my website and collects advertising revenue on my site.

I never entered into such an agreement with MediaCom. How can I opt out of this arrangement?

Regards,

joako

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium Member
join:2002-06-05
Iowa

burner50

Premium Member

»Mediacom Injecting Their Ads Into Other Websites [94] comments

»[IL] WTF? Popups from MediaCom????

Its not on your website.... It is being injected into their customers internet connections.

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako

Premium Member

Mediacom is downloading my websites, creating a derivative work (which has a very specific definition under copyright law) on-the-fly and distributes their creation to Mediacom customers when they attempt to visit my websites. Mediacom is generating or attempting to generate revenue from advertising from their unauthorized reproduction of my websites.

Yawn
@mchsi.com

Yawn

Anon

Maybe you should block all of Mediacoms IP range and your problem will be fixed

lhollow
join:2010-12-02
IL

lhollow to joako

to joako
said by joako:

I never entered into such an agreement with MediaCom. How can I opt out of this arrangement?

Lawyer up?

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium Member
Iowa

2 edits

burner50 to Yawn

Premium Member

to Yawn
said by Yawn :

And punish potential customers? How would that solve mediacom injecting ads into their own customers connections?

Mediacom does not care if their customers come to your site. You would just be punishing your own customers.

lhollow
join:2010-12-02
IL

lhollow

How? That makes me think of the Life of Bryan.

Suicide Squad Leader: We are the Judean People's Front crack suicide squad! Suicide squad, attack!
[they all stab themselves]
Suicide Squad Leader: That showed 'em, huh?
CR_Client
join:2005-02-04
Cedar Rapids, IA

CR_Client to burner50

to burner50
said by burner50:

said by Yawn :

And punish potential customers? How would that solve mediacom injecting ads into their own customers connections?

Mediacom does not care if their customers come to your site. You would just be punishing your own customers.

Depends on if you just block the traffic, or if you put up a redirect/splash page that informs the users WHY you won't allow their traffic, which then lets the customers advocate on your behalf to MediaCom.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium Member
Iowa

burner50

Premium Member

Seems like an overreaction.
mnt1
join:2004-10-03
Baldwin, AL

1 recommendation

mnt1

Until FedEx starts opening your packages and putting targeted advertising inside.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium Member
Iowa

burner50

Premium Member

said by mnt1:

Until FedEx starts opening your packages and putting targeted advertising inside.

In essence, you're just making sure that the packages never make it to the customer, not solving the core problem of fedex opening the packages and inserting the ads in the first place...

Plus, I have a feeling that Mediacom would insert the ad on top of the 503 error page anyway.

You cant alienate your own customers to "get back" at an ISP who doesn't care.

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

2 edits

IowaMan

Premium Member

"moved to main other thread"
»[IL] WTF? Popups from MediaCom????