spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LinearBurn

@cox.net

[OK] Modem rebooting every hour or less

I dont know the modem will nto stay operational for long. I would liek to see the logs but this modem is locked out so i cant access anything but the status page. I had a motorola also but it does the same thing. Im at my wits end. Any help would be apricated. And BTW this is all i have no cable tv and its a strait drop pole to modem.

Model: Cisco DPC3010
Vendor: Cisco
Hardware Revision: 1.0
Serial Number:
MAC Address::
Bootloader Revision: 2.3.0_R1
Current Software Revision: dpc3010-v302r12901-091119a
Firmware Name: dpc3010-v302r12901-091119a.bin
Firmware Build Time: Nov 19 2009 22:12:51
Cable Modem Status: Operational

Downstream Channels
Power Level Signal to Noise Ratio
Channel 1: 5.1 dBmv 39.5 dBmv
Channel 2: 5.1 dBmv 39.4 dBmv
Channel 3: 4.9 dBmv 39.2 dBmv
Channel 4: 0.0 dBmv 0.0 dBmv
Channel 5: 0.0 dBmv 0.0 dBmv
Channel 6: 0.0 dBmv 0.0 dBmv
Channel 7: 0.0 dBmv 0.0 dBmv
Channel 8: 0.0 dBmv 0.0 dBmv

Upstream Channels
Power Level
Channel 1: 30.2 dBmv
Channel 2: 0.0 dBmv
Channel 3: 0.0 dBmv
Channel 4: 0.0 dBmv

gkeawe

join:2011-03-08
Norman, OK
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

I was thinking about getting the DPC3010 but since you are having issues, I'll wait a bit before switching, I currently have the SB6120 and running the 1.0.3.1 firmware version since yesterday, so far no issues, can you tell me where in OK you are? I see only 3 downstream channels and 1 upstream, was wondering if that's the norm, because I have basically the same numbers of channels.

amwestg

join:2011-02-22
Scottsdale, AZ
reply to LinearBurn

Looks like old firmware. Our DCP3010 has the COX firmware.

Current Software Revision: dpc3010-v302r12901-100630as-COX
Firmware Name: dpc3010-v302r12901-100630as-COX.bin
Firmware Build Time: Jun 30 2010 17:18:16

We're still getting reboots on the modem periodically (9 yesterday, 6 so far today) here in Phoenix.

LinearBurn

@cox.net

3d1u is the current cox norm a lot of my issues is line i think. altho the modem is a quarky thing they have it so locked down you cant even read the event logs. if i could do it over id use the motorola docis 3 modem

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:77
reply to LinearBurn

If you want to register here and PM me the modem's MAC address I can check into this for you.

whitik

join:2011-03-30
Oceanside, CA
reply to LinearBurn

@LinearBurn, Were you able to resolve your issue? I am having the same issue with my dcp3010. It isn't as regular as rebooting every hour but it reboots often. Often the US and Online lights shut off and DS goes amber (which is not described in the manual) and it takes a few minutes to reacquire a connection. This happens several times a day, sometimes within 10 or 15 minutes it will happen again. It might seem to be at periods of high activity (or that is just the times when I get most frustrated with it), watching a movie, playing a game, or several people surfing...

I this firmware, dpc3010-v302r12901-100630as-COX

I've talked to tech support and they suggested I remove the splitter before the modem, which I did but it happened again early this morning.

Thanks for anybody's help!

john_fla

join:2002-09-10
Gainesville, FL
reply to LinearBurn

I'm in Gainesville, FL and just installed a dcp3010 yesterday. I can't tell if the docsis channel bonding is taking place but speedtest.net results are much faster than those produced previously by the combined phone/internet (emta?) modem.

Is there a way to verify channel bonding & how many channels?
How do you access the status info for the 3010?
How do you id the presence of Powerboost and distinguishing between that and channel bonding?
All front lights are steady green except for LINK which is flashing amber?
Can I create a defacto static IP via ipv6 & ipv4? Need that for streaming video.

Thats several questions so I'll stop there for now. Thanks!!

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by john_fla:

I'm in Gainesville, FL and just installed a dcp3010 yesterday. I can't tell if the docsis channel bonding is taking place but speedtest.net results are much faster than those produced previously by the combined phone/internet (emta?) modem.

Is there a way to verify channel bonding & how many channels?
How do you access the status info for the 3010?
How do you id the presence of Powerboost and distinguishing between that and channel bonding?
All front lights are steady green except for LINK which is flashing amber?
Can I create a defacto static IP via ipv6 & ipv4? Need that for streaming video.

Thats several questions so I'll stop there for now. Thanks!!

This is how you access your modem »192.168.100.1/

Cox Guy

@cox.net
reply to LinearBurn

You may have too much forward signal. You want more around 0dbmv hitting the modem. And the return is around 30, which you want higher. Being this low puts your modem in any noise that may exist in your node. Try adding a 4 way splitter to pad the signal down. Make sure you get your input/outputs correct when installing the splitter. You would be suprised how many people hook them up backwards. The 4way should drop your forward 7db and raise your return 7. Just hook the modem to one of the outputs and leave the others open. Any 5-1000 mhz splitter should do just fine(walmart) If that doesn't work give them a call to sch a trouble call. There may be some levels out of spec on the system.

treo90user21

join:2005-07-18
Tulsa, OK
reply to LinearBurn

You aren't alone with the frequent resets, but if you are purchasing your modem from the cable ISP (meaning you own it lock stock and barrel) they are able only to provision the services for the modem, they are not able to alter it's functions in any way if you press the issue. I had to do this with my old CM100 which they had disabled several diagnostic readouts for, a few pointed phone calls got the disabled readouts replaced.

Once I have the DPC3010 paid off, which will be in the next week or so I will tell Cox to revert any changes to the unit they have made. The logs are a useful and needed feature for those of us that know how to read them.

As far as the reset issues my particular unit is less than 4 days old and exhibits the same behavior. This may very well be a problem with the CMTS in my case but getting them to send a line tech to actually look at it is like pulling teeth, it just isn't something many will get them to do.

I must say that after 8 years of working with Cox the services that AT&T provide are beginning to look much more attractive, even if they are slower speeds.

As for now, I have a tech coming Wednesday and a call in with some individuals in OKC, but if I knew where my CMTS was I know for a fact there would be a line tech out tonight... Perhaps the individuals in OKC can get that CMTS examined a bit faster though. Crossing my fingers.

Just for reference there have been at least 5 tech visits to my location in the last 2 months, and 2 techs so far have said that everything here looked fine, one said that the lines on my apartment complex require replacement, one was a contractor who had no clue what he was doing and damaged my modem in his bungling, and one dropped this new modem a few days ago and said that my end looked just fine to him and that if a new modem didn't fix it to call CS for a line tech to be dispatched to look at the CMTS. Guess that last guy knew a lot, but didn't know about Cox living up to their name so much.

CoxTech1
VIP
Chesapeake, VA

The Cisco modems have features on the log pages that allow the customer to change their services which is why access is restricted. Access can only be restricted by pages and not individual functions. If you want access to the modem logs do not buy a Cisco.

odog
Cable Centric Vendor Biased
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
kudos:14
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Cox Guy

said by Cox Guy :

You may have too much forward signal. You want more around 0dbmv hitting the modem. And the return is around 30, which you want higher. Being this low puts your modem in any noise that may exist in your node. Try adding a 4 way splitter to pad the signal down. Make sure you get your input/outputs correct when installing the splitter. You would be suprised how many people hook them up backwards. The 4way should drop your forward 7db and raise your return 7. Just hook the modem to one of the outputs and leave the others open. Any 5-1000 mhz splitter should do just fine(walmart) If that doesn't work give them a call to sch a trouble call. There may be some levels out of spec on the system.

DO NOT do this.

Adding that splitter would only cosmetically improve your signal. It would also cause a reflection point on all the unterminated connectors of the splitter. +5 RX and 30 TX isn't great but please don't take advice from arm chair quarterbacks, with little understanding of how RF works.

Adding that splitter only increases the signal on the output of the modem, after it goes through the splitter your signals are right back where they started. All you'll have done is create a huge reflection point, which is worse than the out of of spec signal.

PM you modem mac to me, and schedule a truck roll if you need it. It is also possible that due to where you are in the cable network that is what your signals "should" be. 30 is very low so that makes me think you may have a house amp with return amplification. Do you know the topology of the RF network in your house?

treo90user21

Tulsa, OK
reply to CoxTech1

Click for full size
downloadDOCSIS Log.pdf 52,445 bytes
Logs (No changable data)
Click for full size
downloadDOCSIS Signal.pdf 50,872 bytes
Signal Levels (No changeable data)
Click for full size
downloadDOCSIS Status.pdf 51,328 bytes
Status (No changable data)
Actually the log page is a separate page with no changeable information. So lets try again with more visual data for everyone to see.

I have PDF printouts of all 6 pages that are potentially available including anything which may be there, and have no problem posting that to these forums so that users may see what Cox hid from them.

Only one page has data that is for provisioning data which is reconfigurable and nobody really needs access to that nor would any of us ask for it. I have uploaded pdf printouts of the 3 pages that are hidden which should be user accessible, the other 2 pages which should be user accessible are accessible at this point.

And as for your insistence that I not purchase a Cisco modem if I want log data perhaps you would like to talk to the Tulsa offices that only distribute that model right now, or better yet show me where that log page linked in my post has reconfigurable data or admit I caught you in a corporate lie.

Point is that the three documents I have posted show 3 pages that are not available to customers, should be available to them. With this information hidden it keeps customers from helping themselves to useful information not only for them but for potential tech calls.

Go ahead and give me an excuse for this hiding of information. It isn't something that should be hidden and definitely not if the customer owns their own equipment. Cox hides the information but does not have any reason to do so other than having an easier time charging customers for unnecessary technician visits.

But don't take my word for it, look at the pdf files I posted, which only show data that is presented and unchangeable.

CoxTech1
VIP
Chesapeake, VA

Actually I stand corrected by odog See Profile. Access is disabled to certain pages due to sensitive information being contained within them. I also didn't realize you were talking about a CM100 before. Access to those modems has never been disabled but rather simply fail to work after about 24 hours give or take due to a firmware bug which has since been fixed.

treo90user21

Tulsa, OK

The CM100 worked for many months before access was disabled (and subsequently re-enabled via a new cable modem configuration file), this is what the new DPC3010 replaced. The disabled readouts on the CM100 corresponded with additional changes such as discontinued customer access to the in-network Cox speed test. Coincidence? I don't think so. And as for a firmware related bug, I am doubting that since the firmware revision that is on it now was never changed from its defaults.

Again, if you examine those PDF files I posted you would notice those are from the DPC3010. No sensitive information is on them, only technical readouts which could potentially help customers and technicians with troubleshooting. So I ask again again: what legitimate reason is there to block useful troubleshooting information from customer access?

This information is available in some markets, but not in others it seems, so any worries about sensitive information or changes to ones service are unfounded at best. All that needs to be blocked is one page, the one regarding channel selection, as it is the only one that allows for reconfiguration of data.

I hope that the posting of those PDF files has made things a little more clear as to what is actually in those pages. None of them contain any sensitive information, unless you count errors and frequency data as sensitive, in which case I have no idea how to make things any clearer for you.

To clarify for you, my current modem is indeed the DPC3010 that those PDF printouts were made from. Those prints were done during a scan process before the cable modem config file was installed and active, so I had access to all of the modems pages and information that I could get my hands on. The pages that I posted contain no sensitive information, and no reconfigurable data. So I am still looking for a logical reason that these pages are disabled, other than to increase the possibility of charging customers for technician visits they did not need.

CoxTech1
VIP
Chesapeake, VA

For the CM100 it is indeed a known bug that access to the status pages fails after a certain number of SNMP events. This is fixed with the latest firmware we have for the modem.

As for the DPC modems, the information in question isn't available until after the modem receives it's configuration. This could change with future firmware releases however for the time being it is what it is.

treo90user21

Tulsa, OK

The CM100 had no issues until a newer cable modem configuration file was sent, confirmed by a Cox technician in Oklahoma City as a regional decision and as the cause of the issue. This issue was fixed by a rewritten configuration file being pushed to all CM100s in the area. This decision was overturned because changing the modem in any way other than what is needed for provisioning of service is something that can get Cox in a lot of hot water in the case of modems or other equipment not owned by Cox.

When a modem works for over a year and a new set of policies go into play and functions are altered or hidden that were not before, it just seems a bit fishy.

Now as far as the DPC3010 the modem has received a config file that also alters its functionality placing this case squarely in the same position, I have no doubt that it will be overturned or I have a feeling Cox will find itself in some hot water. As the operator of a service is allowed to provision consumer equipment for service, they are however not allowed to alter functions of said device that are not related or necessary for provisioning the services.

As stated previously the modems functions have been altered without need or valid reasoning. Again taking a look at the pages which are available with no ISP specific configuration present shows this. These pages were needlessly blocked out due to the cable modem configuration file being pushed to consumer equipment substantially altering its functions beyond necessary provisioning.

Perhaps you should look at those pages, and I mean really actually look at them. Then tell me why those pages would be blocked. It isn't a firmware issue as any incompatible firmware would have been updated by this point. The information does not need to be available to see the pages the modem has in place, but the availability of those pages is alterable via the modem configuration file which is only pushed by the ISP. I really wish that for consumers sake cable modem manufacturers would not allow ISPs to alter access to those items at all, but that is how it is and I cannot change that.

While the technical details may not be something every consumer finds useful, the technicians sure appreciate having that data. Using a modem in this state for baseless (or no) reasoning really doesn't set well with techs either. This really isn't just a consumer issue, it is an all around issue. Connection logs, signal data, up-time, and any QOS data available to be seen on the modem should be accessible no matter what. As long as there is no user editable data which could alter the service the consumer receives, there isn't any reason they should be blocked. In the case of the DPC3010 and the three pages posted above, there is no user editable data, and therefore no real reason for blocking its access.

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Well this has already been said before, you could alter the way the dpc3010 runs on cox's network with one of the tabs available before the modem sync to there network. So cox has the right to lockdown something that can affect the way your modem runs on there network. I will however say, cox didn't have to lockdown some of the pages. So yes they could rewrite there config file to allow access to more detailed signal info and such. But this could also require cisco to release a newer firmware first for them to do so.

treo90user21

Tulsa, OK

1 edit

Talking with Cisco about the locked down pages they actually point to the modem config file that is provided by the ISP as their firmware does not block them by default, this is evidenced by a user being able to see them before the config is installed (meaning the default factory config is in place). Anyone with a DPC3010 experiencing this can perform a hard reset on the device to see those pages, although they are useless while the modem is scanning for signal (which took 30 minutes in my area but may vary between different market segments).

And I agree that any pages with reconfigurable data should be locked down as part of provisioning, I've got no qualms with that at all. I just have problems with not being able to see relevant and pertinent data that could help troubleshoot problems in my services. Any delay to those problems being fixed is service time I lose and still have to pay for. The service hiccups from time to time, that's life, but with what seems like a little additional data the process of fixing things can be simplified.

In my case the modem logs and signal level readouts of previous modems cleared up any ideas that my router could have been the root cause of my internet woes, since those logs and readouts showed that the modem itself was having trouble properly communicating with the CMTS and was receiving much more signal than it should. After a few tests the modem was found to have a damaged digital tuner causing the problems.

If the problem would have been fixed sooner I would not have had to purchase the CM100 in the first place, and similar issues ended up killing the CM100 prematurely. Unfortunately most Cox contracted technicians have no idea that the cable modem has a digital tuner in it at all, what the power specifications actually are, or what out of spec levels can cause. So even when I told technicians that the power was outside proper parameters they said it was "not a big deal" or "it'll be fine" which is not the case.

This time due to diligent documentation Cox actually comped part of the price of this modem as it was one of their contractors that damaged the last one. Which is also why I had to purchase the modem from Cox. Cox in my area supposedly only distributes the DPC3010 in cases where only a D3 modem is needed and subsequently is why I ended up with the DPC3010. This is also. unfortunately, why I have no access to the previously posted pages once it receives the cable modem configuration file from Cox.

EDIT: Just want to clarify, none of the previously posted pages contain any form fields. The only page that does contain them is the channel selection page (which I did not post a pdf printout of) and I agree Cox should lock that down and has every right to do so while the modem is on their network. The three pages I did post, should not be blocked, but currently are. I did not post pdf files of the other two pages that are currently accessible as they are not an issue so long as they can be accessed by the consumer.

sd cox sub

join:2011-07-24
San Diego, CA
reply to LinearBurn

Click for full size
okay, its time to clear up a few of these points for future forum readers and those already in this discussion.

Don't put a splitter on it. If in fact your drop cable is straight from the tap to your modem then you have other issues. your Rx should be higher than 5.1 dBmv Yes your Tx level is low. Any tech who takes the time to run a simple test on it will put a pencil pad on it since you have surplus signal to use. I personally would prefer to keep my signal power and put a reverse pad on it. That will increase your transmit level while leaving your signal level alone. your SNR could use some work. make certain your RG6 lines are not running adjacent to or wrapped around your house high voltage lines, check the integrity and tightness of all your fittings, make certain they are dual shielded RG6 not old 59 or satellite cable.

MOST IMPORTANTLY make certain there is an F18 grounding block that is properly grounded to clean copper of a cold water pipe or other suitable grounding material present.

I have my Cisco DPC3010 running a stable 40Mbps downstream and just hooked it up and started tweaking it.

In regard to the channels. You can not "unlock" more channels downstream or upstream. those ARE the channels being provided to you by our ISP. Those ARE the frequencies available.

and finally, to answer the one question this all started from. your modem is stacking T3 errors, use a clean power source. yes, take the power cord out of that old junk surge protector and plug it into a properly grounded and polarized outlet. Yep yep, that oughta do it.

sd cox sub(subscriber),

hope you get this b4 its 2 late and you burn up your modem, J.K.

my current configuration:

Serial Number: xxxxxxxxx
MAC Address:: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Downstream Channels
Channel 1: 9.6 dBmv 40.4 dB
Channel 2: 9.7 dBmv 40.4 dB
Channel 3: 9.5 dBmv 39.3 dB
Channel 4: 0.0 dBmv 0.0 dB
Channel 5: 0.0 dBmv 0.0 dB
Channel 6: 0.0 dBmv 0.0 dB
Channel 7: 0.0 dBmv 0.0 dB
Channel 8: 0.0 dBmv 0.0 dB

Upstream Channels
Power Level
Channel 1: 39.7 dBmv

sd cox sub

join:2011-07-24
San Diego, CA
reply to LinearBurn

Click for full size
okay, its time to clear up a few of these points for future forum readers and those already in this discussion.

Don't put a splitter on it. If in fact your drop cable is straight from the tap to your modem then you have other issues. your Rx should be higher than 5.1 dBmv Yes your Tx level is low. Any tech who takes the time to run a simple test on it will put a pencil pad on it since you have surplus signal to use. I personally would prefer to keep my signal power and put a reverse pad on it. That will increase your transmit level while leaving your signal level alone. your SNR could use some work. make certain your RG6 lines are not running adjacent to or wrapped around your house high voltage lines, check the integrity and tightness of all your fittings, make certain they are dual shielded RG6 not old 59 or satellite cable.

MOST IMPORTANTLY make certain there is an F18 grounding block that is properly grounded to clean copper of a cold water pipe or other suitable grounding material present.

I have my Cisco DPC3010 running a stable 40Mbps downstream and just hooked it up and started tweaking it.

In regard to the channels. You can not "unlock" more channels downstream or upstream. those ARE the channels being provided to you by our ISP. Those ARE the frequencies available.

and finally, to answer the one question this all started from. your modem is stacking T3 errors, use a clean power source. yes, take the power cord out of that old junk surge protector and plug it into a properly grounded and polarized outlet. Yep yep, that oughta do it.

sd cox sub(subscriber),

Downstream Channels

Upstream Channels
Power Level

cableguy619
Premium
join:2003-06-24
Chula Vista, CA

said by sd cox sub:

sd cox sub(subscriber),

Downstream Channels

Upstream Channels
Power Level

Ideally 0 dbmv is the sweet spot.. from 10 to -10(might be +5 to - 10) is the threashold. With channel bonding you do not want to be more than about 2 db of seperation from bonded channels. you want them to be very close.

Yes a dedicated line as much as possible is a good thing...

johnburns

join:2004-10-14
Oklahoma City, OK

1 edit
reply to LinearBurn

downloadModem Log.txt 1,498 bytes
I live in NW Oklahoma City and I have had the modem shut down and reboot twice this afternoon. I wouldn't have known about it, except my Windows 7 Event Viewer had two errors - "4311 NETBT" which, after exploring the Internet, I think might be due to the modem reboots. I wasn't aware of losing the connection, but it seems there may be a problem. My modem is a Motorola SB5101, Router is Linksys WRT54G2 and OS is Windows 7 x64. I checked the Modem Log and will try to attach it, showing the modem reboots today. Modem signal currently shows:

Signal to Noise Ratio 30.5 dB
Downstream Power Level -11.8 dBmV
Upstream Power 47.0 dBmV

We have had several weeks of 100+ degree temperatures - today, it was 107 on my thermometer near the cable box on my house. I'm wondering if this intense heat is messing up the cable transmissions possibly. As of now it's no major problem, but I'm afraid it may be with continued hot weather?

cableguy619
Premium
join:2003-06-24
Chula Vista, CA

said by johnburns:

I live in NW Oklahoma City and I have had the modem shut down and reboot twice this afternoon. I wouldn't have known about it, except my Windows 7 Event Viewer had two errors - "4311 NETBT" which, after exploring the Internet, I think might be due to the modem reboots. I wasn't aware of losing the connection, but it seems there may be a problem. My modem is a Motorola SB5101, Router is Linksys WRT54G2 and OS is Windows 7 x64. I checked the Modem Log and will try to attach it, showing the modem reboots today. Modem signal currently shows:

Signal to Noise Ratio 30.5 dB
Downstream Power Level -11.8 dBmV
Upstream Power 47.0 dBmV

We have had several weeks of 100+ degree temperatures - today, it was 107 on my thermometer near the cable box on my house. I'm wondering if this intense heat is messing up the cable transmissions possibly. As of now it's no major problem, but I'm afraid it may be with continued hot weather?

@johnburns you have signal issues

Sn at 30 is will below the min of 34-35 SNR
your downstream at -11 is out of spec and would better suit you at 5 to 0.......

Make sure your connections are tight and if they are call for a tech.