join:2007-03-27
Sterling, VA

Mdoc to neonhomer

Premium Member

to neonhomer

Re: Tektronix 485 - no power up

Get your service manual from here:
»manoman.sqhill.com/tek.php
...and read starting at page 4-6 onwards on troubleshooting techniques. That page'll show a table of power supply voltages with max ripples. Check them off. Then look at "troubleshooting the power supply" page 4-7.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

I think that is the same manual I have.....

Yep.... I picked up my copy from »bama.edebris.com/manuals ··· tek/485/

Mdoc
Ehh... munch munch... what's up, Doc?
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

1 edit

Mdoc

Premium Member

Mine is 242MB in size. Yours is 30MB.
Although, having checked yours, it seems to have the same content. If that's true, shows mine has a lot of dead space.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

So far, checking voltages, on the +50 pin, I barely get 10v out of it, and it pulses w/ the two neon lamps.....

Mdoc
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

Mdoc

Premium Member

Make a note of that and continue checking voltages.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

+15 : Maybe 1-2v
+5 : 0.2
-5 : -0.2
-15 : -0.2 to -2.4
+59.4 : 0 to 11
-5.5 : -0.5
+120 : 3 to 35
+9 : 0

The HV lamp that is discussed in the tek forums post is lit, but dim. Silvered on the inside, so you really cant see it.

The two caps mentioned also are okay, not shorted.

Mdoc
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

Mdoc

Premium Member

Yep... check out T1960 on "A15 Transformer board." Fig. 8-18. Circuit on diagram 15, part of which is shown above.
Mdoc

Mdoc to neonhomer

Premium Member

to neonhomer
Wait, I thought the input to the T1960 transformer is 115V AC.

Go back prior to T1960, diagram 14 and look at DS1824. Is it lit? Also check out the line voltage selector (230v/115v).

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer to Mdoc

Premium Member

to Mdoc
Why do I have the feeling the T1960 is similar to a Horizontal Output Transistor?

If it's bad, I don't think there is a replacement...... regardless now I have to strip this thing down to get to it....

Mdoc
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

Mdoc

Premium Member

said by neonhomer:

Why do I have the feeling the T1960 is similar to a Horizontal Output Transistor?

If it's bad, I don't think there is a replacement...... regardless now I have to strip this thing down to get to it....

I think the culprit is before T1960 on diagram 14.
Mdoc

Mdoc to neonhomer

Premium Member

to neonhomer
If DS1824 is blinking, the 115v power is ok up to this point before the inverter and protection circuit. And this means either the startup circuit (VR1831, C1829) is not kickstarting the inverter (Q1834, Q1844) or the protection circuit is preventing the inverter start up. My guess is the latter, but you can isolate that.

To do that, see the first 4 entries in table 4-4, starting on pg 4-7. Make some of the checks noted.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

DS1824 does light with the power on.

Keep you posted....
neonhomer

neonhomer

Premium Member

Removed comb "U", bent pin 3 out of the way, and plugged it back in. Same thing.

I can't find TP1951...

Mdoc
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

Mdoc

Premium Member

diagram 14, U1910 pin 2, that's the balance node input. U1910 is part of the protection circuit on A13 power board.
Mdoc

Mdoc to neonhomer

Premium Member

to neonhomer
Click for full size
said by neonhomer:

I can't find TP1951...

Found it.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

Once you said U1910, I found it.... must be blind... LOL

From ground to the BAL point, I get 60-350mv, and it bounces around....

I get 160V at the shell of Q1834, and between -70 and -140v at the shell of Q1844

So it sounds like T1960 might be bad.....

Mdoc
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

Mdoc

Premium Member

said by neonhomer:

Once you said U1910, I found it.... must be blind... LOL

From ground to the BAL point, I get 60-350mv, and it bounces around....

It's supposed to "bounce around" if you're using a DMM. The proper way to measure is not with a DMM but with a working scope with external trigger on TP1926. For the first 4 entries in table 4-4, do what you can with a DMM. See what you can do to borrow a working scope.

The voltages at Q1834/Q1844 may be from attempts to start the inverter, so it's meaningless at this point. The voltages are supposed to be double the 115v AC input voltage, or the p-p value of the line voltage. Read "Line Input Circuit" pg 3-6 2nd paragraph.

And I doubt T1960 is bad; we can't say it's bad if the problem points to circuits before T1960. It is working (in a manner of speaking) because the secondary voltages are showing the continuous inverter startup attempts made by the startup circuit. Something is preventing this, and the best method to find this out is by monitoring TP1951 with a working scope.
Mdoc

1 edit

Mdoc

Premium Member

And if you can't get a working scope, the best way then is to look at all the inputs to the balance node indicated in the block diagram on pg 3-11 and look for shorts or opens in circuits leading up to those inputs. Look for scorch marks, too. (Cold solder joints is a possibility, too--push/pull on points on the board with a pencil or plastic probe.)

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

All I have is a Fluke 789 Process Calibrator, and a Fluke 11 DMM.

I don't know anyone with a working scope. That was the reason I bought one, so I could have one.

I will hae to fight with it more tomorrow. I wish I knew someone locally (Daytona Beach, FL area) who could assist me in fixing this thing. Its either that or I keep searching for a working scope....

Mdoc
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

Mdoc

Premium Member

Yes, try that.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

You mean unplug the high voltage lead, or all the wiring to the CRT?

Mdoc
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

Mdoc

Premium Member

all wiring to the CRT (leave the HV in)

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

Oi vey.. that's going to be a bitch.......

I had the power inverter board and the sweep board out last night, and it was a bitch to get apart.

It says I can pull certain combs to isolate certain areas. I do know if I pull the "R" comb, the "clicking" goes from slow to fast.

Mdoc
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

Mdoc

Premium Member

I'll look it up. How fast is fast?
Mdoc

Mdoc to neonhomer

Premium Member

to neonhomer
said by neonhomer:

Oi vey.. that's going to be a bitch.......

I had the power inverter board and the sweep board out last night, and it was a bitch to get apart.

It says I can pull certain combs to isolate certain areas. I do know if I pull the "R" comb, the "clicking" goes from slow to fast.

The faster clicking is caused by pulling the "R" comb, Table 4-4, pg 4-8, top entry. Nothing new there.

If I'm not mistaken there should be a plug with wires attached to it on the rear of the CRT; you just pull that off.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

You pull the rear cover, and there are three connectors..... one has 3 wires, and two that have one wire each....

Mdoc
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

Mdoc

Premium Member

Pull them all off. The big HV lead goes to the tube anode, you can leave that in.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

Haven't forgotten. Just don't feel like opening this thing back up right now. Will probably open back up after the kids go to bed in about 45 min or so.
neonhomer

neonhomer

Premium Member

Oooookay... Pulled the three connectors that go from the xfmr board to the crt. Nothing. Same thing.

Walked through some of the tests on 4-7. Nothing to note.

I think I have reached the limit of my equipment. I hate to have to send this to a shop, as I know it will be a few hundred $$$ to get it fixed.

drjim
MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA

drjim

MVM

Try and find a local ham radio club. Most of the old guys there (like me!) probably have an oscilloscope, and might be willing to help you track down the problem.