share rss forum feed

sempergoofy
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

[Serious] Georgia trying to implement pet tax

I had to take my dog Benny to the vet this morning. The vet told me that our GA legislature is trying to implement a tax on veterinary services. I said, "You must be kidding. It's hard enough to get people to take their dog to the vet as it is. If they start taxing your services, I can see more animals suffering because of the increased cost in these hard economic times."

He agreed and told me that the GVMA (Ga. Veterinary Medical Association) is opposed to the tax. I hit up their website after I got home. They have links to the legislative bills on the state government site and also a clear explanation of their opposition and information on how you can contact your legislator to express your opposition. I suppose you could also show your support of the tax, too, if you were so inclined.

Georgia doesn't tax other healthcare groups. Why vets? If you are dog, cat, horse, cattle or other animal owner that uses veterinary services, you need to be aware of this and oppose it if that is your position before the legislature puts their hand deeper into your pocket.

The GVMA website can be found here: »www.gvma.net/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=1
--
nohup rm -fr /&

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Premium,Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South
kudos:1

It is not just a veterinary tax that is in the bill but also taxes on other services: "including haircuts, country club and health club membership fees, shoe repair, veterinary services, lawn care and watch repair." It is being called a "consumption tax". It does seem a little odd that Veterinary services are being included.

»www.ajc.com/business/personal-se···442.html
--

Reality is the leading cause of stress among those who are in touch with it.--Jane Wagner

sempergoofy
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

You don't suppose the geniuses meant to tax things like doggy salons but instead worded it to mean veterinary services? Pet grooming would better match the classification of those other items. But vet services? That's just dumb and they need to be told that it is.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Premium,Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South
kudos:1

If I were to guess, and that is only what it would be, they did mean to tax vet services. In California, a few years ago, Governor Schwarzenegger proposed a tax on veterinary services but it was not approved by the legislature.
--

Reality is the leading cause of stress among those who are in touch with it.--Jane Wagner