MARCH 2011 4G WiMax Speeds

I'll Start

criggs
join:2000-07-14
New York, NY

criggs

Re: MARCH 2011 Sprint 4G WiMax Speeds

Here's mine today:

By the way, at 1230AM I was disconnected.

I could not reconnect at that point. I either got connected with no connectivity, or I could not get connected as all, as the process got stuck at the Obtaining IP Address step.

Sprint was unable to solve it. We did about 4 ##RTN#s with no luck. I was about to suggest that we try a ##RPR# when they abruptly said they were switching me to the "escalation" department. I remained on hold from 245AM to 615AM!

At 615AM, after my umpteenth close-Smartview-pop-out-card-pop-in-card-reopen-Smartview while waiting for Sprint to pick up, I was finally able to reconnect. So I finally hung up without waiting further for them. A****pes.

Anyone else have major Sprint 4G connectivity issues between midnight and 6 this morning Eastern time?

Like a dope, I forgot to check to see whether the 4G was also hosed on my HTC Evo Shift, which up to now has been fine with the 4G. If it had also been hosed, that would have saved me a lot of time and pinpointed the problem as the network. But, without having done that, I'll never know if my modem got temporarily brain-dead or whether everything was fine at my end.

For what it's worth, the HTC Evo Shift 4G connection is working fine at the moment.

tatumboy
@spcsdns.net

tatumboy

Anon

You guys always have awesome speeds. Here's mine:

Its like dial up on the go... I have 3 days to return it.. Im in a good area for 4g I have the usb thingy. I hate it I cant even watch youtube. Any tips on how to get a better download speed?
criggs
New York, NY

criggs

Wow, something is very seriously screwed up with your connection. Have you told Sprint?
criggs

criggs

I am responding to a message relevant to Sprint 4G Wimax speeds, but inadvertently posted in a dead thread. Hopefully the poster will join us here.
said by tatumboy :

Yea I have the usb modem from sprint. Here's what Im getting today, HORRIBLE. Is this normal?

I have 3 days until my 30 days are up.

Absolutely that is NOT normal. Either the 4G in your area is seriously sick or we are seeing an example of speed throttling. I suspect the former simply because there has been very little evidence up to now that Sprint 4G customers are throttled. Clear 4G customers yes, but not Sprint 4G customers.

Regardless, if that's the best they can give you I'd say forget about Sprint 4G and look elsewhere.

Are you on the combined Sprint 4G/3G plan? If so, how's your Sprint 3G speeds? If they're good, then you might want to switch to Millenicom's Sprint 3G with a very generous 50 gig cap.

If they're not good, then you might want to try out for the 14-day trial period Verizon Wireless' 3G service (don't bother with their 4G; it's overpriced). If that turns out to be good, return the service for your money back, and switch to Millenicom's Advanced Plan with the 20 gig cap on the Verizon Wireless network.

And, just to keep this thread on track, here's my speed today:

lunarPlexus
Nothin' Up Muh Sleeve
Premium Member
join:2003-02-08
Chicago, IL

lunarPlexus to jay608

Premium Member

to jay608

Re: MARCH 2011 4G WiMax Speeds

Doesn't "sprint" mean run fast? They should rename the company "Crawl." And this is a good speed for me.
criggs
New York, NY

criggs

At the risk of flogging a dead horse, I would just like to confirm the following: Those speeds you have just posted, are those 3G speeds or 4G speeds? Thanks.

I ask because 2.56 mb/s are quite good for 3G, but they are unambiguously below spec for 4G, as the minimum average speed quoted by Sprint for 4G is 3mb/s. If those are the speeds you're getting from 4G, then I would give Sprint a call and report a problem; couldn't hurt.

lunarPlexus
Nothin' Up Muh Sleeve
Premium Member
Chicago, IL

lunarPlexus

Premium Member

4G. I've called repeatedly. They couldn't care less.
criggs
New York, NY

criggs

Then it's time to do what I did; ask for a full credit for the month for below spec performance. The first month or so they'll give it to you just to shut you up. Round about the third month they'll finally start taking it seriously because they'll start to cry about giving you the credits, but of course at that point they're stuck because it's on the record that they've given you the credits, so it makes it doubly difficult for them to suddenly deny you the credits.

In my case, it was round about this time that they'll finally send a technician out to actually try to fix what's wrong. The first time that sequence occurred was in 09, and they finally fixed it, after about 9 weeks. The second time that sequence occurred was last year/this year, and I'm now in the phase where they're taking it seriously and really trying to fix it. A technician has been out to my apartment twice, they replaced one part on the tower and satisfied themselves that that didn't do bupkus (sp), and tomorrow they'll be visiting me again with their own modems and laptops and are going to be trying various combinations of modem and laptop in my apt. to see whether they can figure out what's causing the problem.

tatumboy
@spcsdns.net

tatumboy to criggs

Anon

to criggs

Re: MARCH 2011 Sprint 4G WiMax Speeds

I'm in the Bay Area, supposedly Sprint's most premier area, basically the Silica Valley. My sales rep painted a great picture.

Sprint 3G is not at all better. Yes I'm on the combined plan. I will say that sometimes (VERY RARE) I get a faster connection, but still nothing in comparison to the speeds you guys post. Do you think there is something I am doing wrong. 4G is covered on the map for my area (Hayward, CA) Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
criggs
New York, NY

criggs

Then screw Sprint. With performance like this, you can probably get out of your ETF. Have you tested Verizon Wireless 3G on its 14-day trial period? If that 3G turns out to be good, you can get a reasonably good deal from Millenicom with a 20 gig cap.

lunarPlexus
Nothin' Up Muh Sleeve
Premium Member
Chicago, IL

lunarPlexus to criggs

Premium Member

to criggs

Re: MARCH 2011 4G WiMax Speeds

said by criggs:

Then it's time to do what I did; ask for a full credit for the month for below spec performance. The first month or so they'll give it to you just to shut you up. Round about the third month they'll finally start taking it seriously because they'll start to cry about giving you the credits, but of course at that point they're stuck because it's on the record that they've given you the credits, so it makes it doubly difficult for them to suddenly deny you the credits.

In my case, it was round about this time that they'll finally send a technician out to actually try to fix what's wrong. The first time that sequence occurred was in 09, and they finally fixed it, after about 9 weeks. The second time that sequence occurred was last year/this year, and I'm now in the phase where they're taking it seriously and really trying to fix it. A technician has been out to my apartment twice, they replaced one part on the tower and satisfied themselves that that didn't do bupkus (sp), and tomorrow they'll be visiting me again with their own modems and laptops and are going to be trying various combinations of modem and laptop in my apt. to see whether they can figure out what's causing the problem.

Thanks, man. That gives me some motivation to continue banging my head against the wall.
ticktock8
join:2011-01-08
Saint Charles, IL

ticktock8 to jay608

to jay608

Doing fine

triptrailz
@clearwire-wmx.net

triptrailz

Anon

U1901 USB modem with docking bay
Rx power= -62 to -64
CINR 19-21

i can get anywhere from 2-10+mbps and any given time. its usually around 4-9mbps. with a steady .6-1.0 upload.

I figured out a way to get the optimal signal. I go to "tools", then "WiMax info" then i click on advanced. You can actually see the CINR and Rx power changing as you move around the modem. I found that the best setting was having the docking bay laying on its back on a frying pan cover so thats its at like a 10degree angle perpendicular to the table top and its facing the window. Pretty sophisticated positioning there. Even the most minute positioning changes seem to effect the connection so i try very hard to leave it alone when i get a good connection.
seaprobe
join:2006-07-16
Sunnyvale, CA

seaprobe to jay608

to jay608
Tonight's speed on 4G using the Overdrive:

The speed is highly variable. Speakeasy's test seems more consistent in its reported speeds, but is much, much lower for my 4G. Speakeasy shows my full DSL speed every time, though. Go figure.
criggs
New York, NY

criggs

And here's what I'm getting today:

Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to jay608

to jay608
Totally by accident, I discovered that 4G is live in at least one part of Fresno CA. The sprint reps wont acknowledge it or don't know about it, though. Must be a test or something.

triptrailz
@clearwire-wmx.net

triptrailz

Anon

heres what i'm getting on a saturday late night.

Really? well things r streaming well and HD hulu is working so i dont know
criggs
New York, NY

criggs

If you're getting good streaming, and the performance seems unaffected, then I suggest a real world test; the Speedtest server may be in trouble (e.g. the Baltimore Speedtest server had a busted latency file and always aborted for the longest time).

The best real world test, in my opinion, is simply to download any old huge file from a web site that's maintained well and has good servers. One such web site is »farragut.novelhost.net/ . Whenever I'm in doubt that I'm getting accurate Speedtest results, this is always a useful port of call. I pick one of the really huge files, like one of the .iso files, and just let 'er rip. The download speed usually does a bit of bobbing and weaving at first, but it eventually stabilizes within a rough range, usually about 3 to 5 minutes after the download starts. At the moment, for example, I'm getting download speeds from that site that are oscillating, after five minutes or so, within a range of 5 to 7 mbps. Just a reminder that many download windows use KiloBytes, not kilobits, so don't forget to multiply by 8, if need be.

And here's our more conventional Speedtest results for my connection:

eieiomax
join:2010-11-23
Washington, DC

eieiomax to jay608

to jay608

triptrailz
@clearwire-wmx.net

triptrailz

Anon

change is good.
»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 6099.png
2nd time is always better
criggs
New York, NY

4 edits

criggs

As you can see, your second result did not post properly. Speedtest has apparently screwed up their Forum Copy function. I've written them an email, and I hope others do the same. Hopefully that will encourage them to fix it in a few hours.

In the meantime, some are using the dslreports.com speedtest images instead, so here's what I'm getting today:

By the way, what does that Boost statistic mentioned in the dslreports.com speedtest image above refer to?

Edit: Okay, after I posted the above, FizzyMyNizzy taught me how to use brief embed code to get around Speedtest's screwup until they fix it, hopefully later today. So here's what Speedtest is giving me for speed today:

criggs

criggs

So here's my result for today:

Yeah, I know about the [img] embed code thingummy for the new Speedtest look. Well, I refuse to use it on principle. They had a perfectly good Forum Copy thing going, and there's no excuse for them not to put it back. And until they do I'll be using the dslreports.com test.

So there.

Hey, there are some who claim the Speedtest.net tests are not even that accurate anyway. I'll tell you if the whole forum stopped using them then I would feel happy about just dropping them like a bad habit (Speakeasy is more accurate, as an example, I suspect; so is 2Wire). But since most people use them I feel compelled to do likewise so at least we're comparing apples to apples.

Except when Speedtest does a lame a** thing like kill their Forum Copy link, of course. One must know when to draw the line, you know.
ticktock8
join:2011-01-08
Saint Charles, IL

ticktock8

Not digging the new speed test format. Kind of cool at first, like - wow, that's neat, but seems to take more time now. All glam but no bam.

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 2748.png
criggs
New York, NY

criggs

Missed a day. Here's what I'm getting today:

lunarPlexus
Nothin' Up Muh Sleeve
Premium Member
Chicago, IL

1 edit

lunarPlexus to criggs

Premium Member

to criggs
said by criggs:

So, buoyed by this, I emailed a speed test image (not hi-grade evidence, but whatever) and the logs from the overdrive to support, and they gave me $20 off. Then I finally broke down and took the device back to a Sprint service center (again) and this time they managed to come up with some fault. Personally, I think they just felt sorry for me, but who knows. They ordered a new device that I have to go pick up on Monday. Not sure why they couldn't just send it to me, but where would be the fun in that? They charged me $35 plus tax and tax and tax, but I got my support buddy (who I have had WAY too many conversations with lately) to take that off my account also. We'll see on Monday if anything is any better. If not, I can start tilting at the towers.

edit: To keep thread on track, here's a speed test. Raised my grade to a D!!

criggs
New York, NY

criggs

said by lunarPlexus:

I emailed a speed test image (not hi-grade evidence, but whatever) and the logs from the overdrive to support, and they gave me $20 off.

Way to go! Good for you. The ice is starting to crack. Keep it up.
said by lunarPlexus:

They ordered a new device that I have to go pick up on Monday...They charged me $35 plus tax and tax and tax, but I got my support buddy (who I have had WAY too many conversations with lately) to take that off my account also.

This is great. You're learning and they're learning.
said by lunarPlexus:

We'll see on Monday if anything is any better. If not, I can start tilting at the towers.

To be frank, I'm not optimistic, but I hope I'm wrong. I doubt if it's the modem, but we'll see. My guess is that it's the tower.
said by lunarPlexus:

To keep thread on track, here's a speed test. Raised my grade to a D!!

Well, your download speeds are at least in spec at the moment, over Sprint's minimum average 4G WiMax speed spec of 3 mbps. Of course, your upload speed is ridiculous, barely half of the minimum average speed spec.

And here's my speed today:

By the way, I had a minor technical problem today with my HTC Evo Shift 4G phone, so I called Sprint Technical Support. I've never actually sat down and kept track of the minutes lost and the people assigned to me, but today I did. I went through three levels of idiots before I finally got to someone who knew anything. The first three levels each took almost exactly the same amount of time, 20 minutes.

What it boils down to is that Sprint Technical Support now runs you through a 60-minute gamut of BS before you get someone who knows anything and has the remotest clue on how to help you. No fewer than three levels of ignoramuses are forced down your throat before you finally get real support. Truly remarkable.

lunarPlexus
Nothin' Up Muh Sleeve
Premium Member
Chicago, IL

lunarPlexus

Premium Member

Called and it came in today. On the bus on the way home (with 5 bars)

We'll see how it is at home. Might have to move to the bus.
lunarPlexus

lunarPlexus

Premium Member

Pretty drastic changes block by block. 4G is touchy, I guess.
lunarPlexus

lunarPlexus

Premium Member

Can't connect to 4G at all at home. Just searching, trying to connect, searching, repeat ad infinitum. Sent an email to customer service to see if they will start to work on checking the tower.

Fuq.