All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Pestman37
join:2011-03-03

Pestman37

Help me find better internet company

I live in Beamsville, Ontario, up the mountain going south.

Apparently I am 5km outside of bell towers range for cable or dsl, so I am currently use Talk Wireless or Neighbourhood Wireless at $95.00 a month.

Running multiple speed tests, I generally average between .5 mbs to 1.5 mbs which is crap.

I cannot play black ops during afternoon or nights most days, however in the morning it runs beautifully.

Problem with these guys is no consistency and I have reached my limits. I spent another 350.00 getting 30 feet of tower put up for the dish and no better.

Can someone help with finding me at the bare minimum ..... an internet company that I am the kids can at least play black ops at anytime of day consistently.

I am thinking about Rogers Rocket Hub, but have heard mixed reviews on signal strength, price, and ability to play xbox live lag free.

PLease Help.

Thanks.
gamafarr
join:2011-01-31

gamafarr

Got satellite comp

»www.galaxybroadband.ca/

»www.xplornet.com/index.aspx

Did not see any review on them
imaddicted2u
join:2008-03-20

imaddicted2u

Yuck....satellite sucks
»www.canadianisp.ca/cgi-b ··· arch.cgi
gamafarr
join:2011-01-31

gamafarr to Pestman37

to Pestman37
My sister as Satellite TV and it works fine , so why not internet .

Satellites phones have come of age also and they work .

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal to Pestman37

Mod

to Pestman37
Satellite is useless for anything that needs low latency like online gaming. 500ms ping would be good via a satellite connection.

Beam me up
@videotron.ca

Beam me up to Pestman37

Anon

to Pestman37
said by Pestman37:

I haven't a clue where Beamsville is, but you only mention Bell.

Have you tried contacting a wholesaler just to double check? I'm not pushing any particular reseller, but teksavvy does have a "direct forum" where you can post your private info to them (address, phone number etc) here »/forum ··· avdirect and they can double check if maybe cable and DSL is an option.

Other than that, if the above is a no-go, maybe Gorilla George will jump in and let you know if there are any local WISPS out in your area. This could be a decent option.

GNca George
GorillaNET Wireless Broadband
Premium Member
join:2008-07-12
Minden, ON

GNca George

Premium Member

said by Beam me up :

said by Pestman37:

Other than that, if the above is a no-go, maybe Gorilla George will jump in and let you know if there are any local WISPS out in your area. This could be a decent option.

I did reply by PM. We are considering doing something in that area this summer. We have access to a tower at Beamsville. If it happens it will be a GorillaNET project.

Geo
Pestman37
join:2011-03-03

Pestman37

Thanks guys, but I agree, I can't do satelite. Love the area I live but despise the fact I am stuck with Neighbourhood WIreless for $95.00 a month for sub par, inconsistent service.

George, lol as bad as it is, where i do obtain my PM?
vintagewino
join:2003-07-22
Grimsby, ON

vintagewino

Look for a small envelope icon at the top of the page, to the right of the DSLReports logo, just above "reviews". The sender's name will be to the right of the envelope.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal to Pestman37

Mod

to Pestman37
said by Pestman37:

George, lol as bad as it is, where i do obtain my PM?

Site FAQ on IM