dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« Patheticevidence »
This is a sub-selection from I have an idea.

MEohME
@wideopenwest.com

MEohME to batterup

Anon

to batterup

Re: I have an idea.

I'm not! Why spend tax money on that? The only thing stats and the feds do when they get into the private business is screw things up. Look at the Postal System. SCREWED up business that will NEVER get out of the mess it is in with money. Look at Amtrak. What did that give the American people? Not a DAMN thing. Why should we trust the Gov't when they actually traded former services they did run- mass transit---to companies like GM??? what would they do with a telcom network? sell it to ATT and VZ.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

batterup

Premium Member

said by MEohME :

I'm not! Why spend tax money on that?

I was thing of a publicly trained company that would not be government owned but regulated. As a regulated natural monopoly they would be the only provider of communication and as such they would have to supply universal service at a reasonable regulated price. This company would not need any tax money, in fact it would be taxed as any business.

It would be something like the way POTS still works today; it is available to anyone that wants it at a regulated price. I wonder if that would work?
gunther_01
Premium Member
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL

gunther_01

Premium Member

POTS is regulated yes.. So is electric, Gas, and other utilities.. Do you wonder why your prices go up?? Because it costs more to deliver those things then they are allowed to charge most of the time. Wonder why USF is here in the first place? Because it costs more to deliver those products then they can make as an actual business.

Add to it, that over time this nationwide network, would have to be re-built AGAIN.. and AGAIN, and AGAIN Etc. It's not workable and sustainable. The government can't regulate ISP's without giving them money to support the added cost of the lack of income to those companies due to price fixing. The ISP networks are the largest, and most complex networks in the USA. Crap guys, the Interstate system doesn't work right, or at least it's not maintained that well. And you want the government to run something like this?? You want them in charge of something like this??
Sorry, but there is so much overhead in government you would end up paying $100 per month for a 1 meg connection. AND it wouldn't work half the time. NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING in this life is free.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

batterup

Premium Member

said by gunther_01:

And you want the government to run something like this?? You want them in charge of something like this??

No I don't want the government to run the system. People would run the system, the most qualified and dedicated people in the country. They could have a laboratory that would do pure research and not have to worry about inventing something to make a buck by the next quarter.

The entire country would all use the same type of equipment so there would not be some on FiOS and some on UVerse and some on half fiber half coax. All cell phones would work on every tower and instead of having 5 companies in one city and none in the rural area the system would be spread out across the entire county.

This system could manufacture the equipment the laboratory designs and every technician in the country would be familiar with it. If there were a disaster in Texas equipment and men from New Jersey could be dispatched and every thing would fit.

Remember I'm talking about a company owned by the stock holders not the government; this company would pay taxes not be supported by them. The government would set the rates so the company could make a 6% profit and have enough money to bring universal service to everyone that wanted it.

One System. Don't you think it would work; has this ever been tried?
« Patheticevidence »
This is a sub-selection from I have an idea.