spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

smartcard

join:2008-12-06

Alternative to Gizmo5?

Since Google is going to kill Gizmo5 on 3rd April 2011, we have few more weeks to find a good alternative provider to use the ATA boxes that are being used with SIP phones.

Other than Callcentric, I would like to know who are the providers giving SIP numbers free that can be used with an ATA box?

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13

Stewart

join:2005-07-13
kudos:28
reply to smartcard
In addition to suggestions by PX:

PBXes.com.

Localphone (can even use their access numbers as "free" DIDs in some circumstances).

Voxox (though ATAs not officially supported, and you may have an issue with the FAS on their free DID).

[nothing] -- in most network scenarios, you can arrange for e.g. an IPKall DID to route directly to your ATA, without a provider.

[iNum] -- Any provider that offers a free iNum but does not accept SIP calls can be used, by routing the call to 883510xxxxxxxxx@inum.net .

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
And in addition:

Voipuser
»www.voipuser.org/

(which I believe Mazilo is a client of....)

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
As pointed out here, GoogleVoice CANNOT replace Gizmo5 for users outside the USA!

»www.voipuser.org/forum_topic_20603.html

Bogtrotter23

join:2009-06-14
East York, ON
reply to smartcard
At the moment, whistlephone numbers can only be forwarded to a pstn number. Will it hurt their pocketbook to allow sip forwarding as well?

If not, maybe they will consider doing it if we send an email to support@whistelphone.com requesting it.

Tell them it's a chance to get some of the voip traffic that now goes to Google Voice.

How useful it would be depends on how many numbers they have so you can get one that is local to the relatives. I just took whatever they gave rather than try to choose one, so I have no idea if they have enough to make it useful.

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA
kudos:4
said by Bogtrotter23:

At the moment, whistlephone numbers can only be forwarded to a pstn number. Will it hurt their pocketbook to allow sip forwarding as well?

You can use an ATA and/or Asterisk/FreeSWITCH PBX System to register your WP account to receive/place calls.

I just took whatever they gave rather than try to choose one, so I have no idea if they have enough to make it useful.

WP allows original DID# change for free. Subsequent changes will cost some fees.
--
don't and stop are the ONLY two 4-letter words considered offensive to men, but not when used together.

skyhook
Premium
join:2004-06-30
Columbus, OH
reply to smartcard
This may mean something or nothing at all but I did a nslookup of sip.voice.google.com and the results are interesting.

Non-authoritative answer:
_sip._udp.sip.voice.google.com SRV service location:
priority = 50
weight = 1
port = 5060
svr hostname = alt4.voice-sip.l.google.com
priority = 10
weight = 1
port = 5060
svr hostname = voice-sip.l.google.com
priority = 20
weight = 1
port = 5060
svr hostname = alt1.voice-sip.l.google.com
priority = 30
weight = 1
port = 5060
svr hostname = alt2.voice-sip.l.google.com
priority = 40
weight = 1
port = 5060
svr hostname = alt3.voice-sip.l.google.com
>

Could it be that google is working on some sip goodness to take the place of G5?

I haven't tried to register my ATA (yet) but it would be worth a shot.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
reply to mazilo

Re: No need to moan when there's Whistlephone

said by mazilo:

said by Bogtrotter23:

You can use an ATA and/or Asterisk/FreeSWITCH PBX System to register your WP account to receive/place calls.

Confirmed.

I just set up a Whistlephone account (downloading it for Windows PC).

Then it was very simple to set it up on an IP phone (Siemens Gigaset A580IP). I just had to take my user name (the phone #), my password, and the domain name (use proxy.whistlephone.com as both the regular domain name and the proxy domain name) and it was easy as pie.

So! With inbound and outbound calls for free, they are even cheaper than Voip.MS! Good news for our GTA friend BT!

(Of course, outbound calls have a brief advertisement, and overall call quality [inbound and outbound] was not that good).

-----------------------------------------------------

I then forwarded a GoogleVoice number to the Whistlephone PSTN number, and the call came through with no problem.

I do not start the Whistlephone software on my computer, unless I need to do account management.

In summary, although Whistlephone won't replace a full-featured VoIP service for most of us, WP can be a useful supplement/backup service (by itself or in conjunction with GV).

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA
said by PX Eliezer70:

Then it was very simple to set it up on an IP phone (Siemens Gigaset A580IP). I just had to take my user name (the phone #), my password, and the domain name (use proxy.whistlephone.com as both the regular domain name and the proxy domain name) and it was easy as pie.

So! With inbound and outbound calls for free, they are even cheaper than Voip.MS! Good news for our GTA friend BT!

(Of course, outbound calls have a brief advertisement, and overall call quality [inbound and outbound] was not that good).

Can you try to call your WP DID # again several time in a span of several hours (or may be even one day) to see if it still works to receive incoming calls?
--
don't and stop are the ONLY two 4-letter words considered offensive to men, but not when used together.

Hilbe

join:2002-12-13
Fishers, IN
reply to smartcard

Re: Alternative to Gizmo5?

I too have switched to Whistle Phone. The ads aren't terribly long (5 to 10 seconds), and it worked with my PAP2 just fine so far.

tcallan

join:2007-07-18
Clifton Park, NY
reply to mazilo

Re: No need to moan when there's Whistlephone

My Whistlephone does stop receiving incoming calls, even when it appears registered. The caller hears "I'm sorry, I can't connect to that party."

It seems to come back after I make an outbound call, but that's just a couple of experiences.

Redfox

join:2007-12-04
Canada
I had the same problem last night and this morning. Anyways, it's only a backup for me.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
reply to mazilo

Re: A need to moan when there's Whistlephone

said by mazilo:

Can you try to call your WP DID # again several time in a span of several hours (or may be even one day) to see if it still works to receive incoming calls?

Mazilo, you are correct.

It seems that incoming Whistlephone calls often won't work.

Message says "I'm sorry, I cannot connect your call" then hangs up.

Reminds me of that Norfolk girl I kept asking out in 1978, who always had to wash her hair.

--------------------------------------------

As Nitzan just said in another thread, this is why it is best to rely on grown-up VoIP providers for serious usage.

Bogtrotter23

join:2009-06-14
East York, ON
reply to smartcard

The hell with it. If somebody wants to call me they can dial one of the sipbroker pstn numbers and enter *011xxxx#, where the xxxx is the code to connect to my sip url.

mackeev

join:2006-02-06
Dallas, TX
reply to PX Eliezer70

I don't know about IP phones or ATAs, but on a softphone (such as x-lite) you need to select "Use local IP address" to receive Whistle incoming.
I'm routing my incoming calls via SS: THE SAME SETUP as with Ribbit incoming.

mgraves1
Premium
join:2004-04-05
Houston, TX
kudos:1
reply to skyhook

This looks like something interesting in the SIP + Google Voice area.

»blog.duh.org/2011/03/so-google-v···ing.html

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
reply to mackeev

said by mackeev:

I don't know about IP phones or ATAs, but on a softphone (such as x-lite) you need to select "Use local IP address" to receive Whistle incoming.

Probably QFT, but the issue that Mazilo and I and some others are experiencing is that incoming calls work sometimes, and do not work at other times.

If this happened with outbound, you'd know it right away.

But for INBOUND service, this is not acceptable, as you won't know whose calls you missed!

A_VoIPer

join:2009-11-04
said by PX Eliezer70:

Probably QFT, but the issue that Mazilo and I and some others are experiencing is that incoming calls work sometimes, and do not work at other times.

IMHO, this isn't QFT in general. If you use the Whistlephone software, inbound works fine, but it actually registers to all four servers that DNS returns for proxy.whistlephone.com. So, if you don't want to miss any incoming calls, you'll want to forward to another DID or make sure that whatever you use registers to proxy[1-4].whistlephone.com (of course, this may change someday).

voipjunk

join:2004-08-07
Spring Hill, FL
reply to smartcard

Is GV + SS + Sipgate still working?

N7AS

join:2010-05-29
Prescott, AZ
Yes it is. I use it every day.

I have one of my whistlephone numbers setup to "follow me" to my sipgate number I have registered in sipsorcery. It rings my ATA along with a bunch of other DIDs registered in sipsorcery.

I just wish I could tell which number the caller is calling through. But at least, it works.

mackeev

join:2006-02-06
Dallas, TX
reply to PX Eliezer70

said by PX Eliezer70:

But for INBOUND service, this is not acceptable, as you won't know whose calls you missed!

Agreed, it drops registrations from time to time, for whatever reason. But their Follow Me feature seems pretty reliable to me.

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA
reply to N7AS

said by N7AS:

Yes it is. I use it every day.

I am not sure to whom you responded the above statement and what it means.

I have one of my whistlephone numbers setup to "follow me" to my sipgate number I have registered in sipsorcery.

I am lost here in the context of follow me since your SIPGate is terminated to SIPSorcery. In this case, why not configure your WP to also terminate to SIPSorcery to reduce latency and also possible to solve the problem as shown below in telling the correct incoming CID?

I just wish I could tell which number the caller is calling through. But at least, it works.

--

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA
reply to mackeev

said by mackeev:

said by PX Eliezer70:

Agreed, it drops registrations from time to time, for whatever reason.

If you follow posts in this discussion thread by dlanciani, you should be able to find out that we have clearly established the cause to the problem and have come up with the solution for an Asterisk PBX System.

But their Follow Me feature seems pretty reliable to me.

Yup. Follow Me feature works just fine with an additional latency.
--

pinky321

join:2002-06-05
reply to PX Eliezer70
said by PX Eliezer70:

said by mazilo:

Mazilo, you are correct.

It seems that incoming Whistlephone calls often won't work.

Message says "I'm sorry, I cannot connect your call" then hangs up.

From my experience, Whistle phone often work, if caller gets "I'm sorry, I cannot connect your call", simply call again, it will works. If caller still get "I'm sorry, I cannot connect your call", third time will be a charm!

hardly
Premium
join:2004-02-10
USA
A perfect solution if you want to play hard to get.

/sarcasm

curriegrad04

join:2009-09-14
reply to pinky321
Registering it to all 4 gateways is a sure way of getting WP to work properly

OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you

join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA
kudos:1
Don't forget the Ipkall-Voxalot method works for those of us who aren't running a pbx. The downside is that it increases the load on Voxalot since the audio has to go through their servers.
--
Time is the school in which we learn, Time is the fire in which we burn. --Delmore Schwartz

spaceman77

join:2011-05-23
reply to smartcard

I found a good tutorial that shows a better alternative for Gizmo5 and still use google voice from anywhere in the world. I think I'm better now than before when I had Gizmo5
Here it is:
»theyellowflashlight.com/?p=249

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA
said by spaceman77:

I found a good tutorial that shows a better alternative for Gizmo5 and still use google voice from anywhere in the world. I think I'm better now than before when I had Gizmo5
Here it is:
»theyellowflashlight.com/?p=249

Not bad, but the configuration requires an IPKall and a CallCentric account. I was hoping the configuration won't require any additional accounts.
--