spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Huuy
join:2011-03-05
Cohoes, NY

Huuy

[modem/router] 1.5/3 Mbps connection, only getting 1.5

Hello, I recently signed up for Verizon HSI, at the time they only offered 1 package - 1.5/3 Mbps $40/month 1-year. I just did a speed test and I'm only getting 1.5Mps.

Transceiver Statistics
Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_2plus
Data Path FAST

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 1790 447
Margin (dB) 11.5 20.8
Line Attenuation (dB) 59.0 32.1
Transmit Power (dBm) 6.1 12.3

From what i read, my Attenuation is really high. For some reason Verizon doesn't offer the lower package which has a max of 1Mbps, am I ever going to get 3Mbps? if not, should I demand the lower package?

Speakeasy test:

Closest:
Last Result:
Download Speed: 1536 kbps (192 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 366 kbps (45.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Farthest away:
Download Speed: 1533 kbps (191.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 365 kbps (45.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Thanks,

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

batterup

Premium Member

You are 14,016 feet from the DSLAM, at that distance your theoretical modem to DSLAM speed is between 2658 and 3249 with ADSL2+.

Your modem to DSLAM speed is 1790 so that is low but your margins look good. Does the "DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)" reading change? Try booting the modem a few times and see if the "DSL Speed" changes.
Huuy
Cohoes, NY

Huuy

the DSL speeds stay the same, but the other numbers fluctuate, not by much.

I tried connecting my router to the 3 other phone jacks, but the speeds stayed the same. I'll try to find the NID, but i live in a 3 story apartment so i might not be able to get at it.

Should I call Verizon and ask them to send a tech to check out the wiring? or should they be able to do it at their offices?

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
Netcong, NJ

batterup

Premium Member

said by Huuy:

Should I call Verizon and ask them to send a tech to check out the wiring? or should they be able to do it at their offices?

Have them check what speed you are provisioned for. It could be that they have you set at 1790/447. IMHO you do not have a problem with the loop it looks like a provisioning situation. If you can find the NID do check from there though.
Huuy
Cohoes, NY

Huuy

I gave Verizon a call, talked to 3 tech support reps. All 3 of them said that they did a line test and my area can only go up to 1.5mbps, so they said I can call back on Monday and they will reduce the plan to 1.5 mbps so i can save some money, because I'm paying for 3mbps.

I don't download too much anyway, and if I do, I leave it downloading over night. my ping across country is alright ~80, so if I'm gaming it shouldn't be too bad. If worse comes to worse I'll get time warner, even those it's about $100 for 10mbps, no other competition i guess.

Thanks for the help though, much appreciated, saved me some money.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
Netcong, NJ

batterup

Premium Member

said by Huuy:

I gave Verizon a call, talked to 3 tech support reps. All 3 of them said that they did a line test and my area can only go up to 1.5mbps, so they said I can call back on Monday and they will reduce the plan to 1.5 mbps so i can save some money, because I'm paying for 3mbps.

They must be getting different readings than your modem is showing. You should have asked them what line attenuation down they are getting.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to Huuy

MVM

to Huuy
Your modem sync speed is fine. It's going to be slightly lower than the typical 1792/448 sync rates for the 1.5Mbps provisioning because your line is running on ADSL2+ mode. Why it's lower, it's probably a setting on Verizon's end but as long as the speed isn't going lower, it's fine.

You're simply on a long loop as mentioned above. The 1.5-3Mbps package covers the current speed you're on, so unless Verizon can get your line shorter or in better condition, you're basically stuck at the speed you're currently on. The only other package you can get is the 768kbps-1Mbps package, which will decrease your speed by 500Kbps. It should be available to you since you are synced at a higher speed, but just double check with billing if you asked them to bump you down a package, as they might have in fact moved you to 1Mbps (which is $10 cheaper), as once you're moved off of a higher package, there's no guarantees that Verizon will be willing to sell it to you again in the future.
Huuy
Cohoes, NY

Huuy

I'll be contacting billing on Monday, tech support made it sound like I can get 1.5Mbps for the price of the 1Mbps package.

The price I'm paying I think is reasonable, I just moved from Canada where i had to pay $120/month for 7Mbps and a 60GB download cap, other than slow download of games via steam, I haven't had any problems. I'm loving the ping that I get with DSL though, it would be hard for me to switch to cable. I also wasn't aware that download speed doesn't have much of an effect on gameplay if your playing on a dedicated server(not hosting).

I'll have to see what happens, right beside me Harmony Mills is turning into an apartment building, with 230 lofts, maybe some competition will start and I can get a better/faster internet.

Anyway, I really appreciate the help guys, I've learned a lot.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
Netcong, NJ

batterup

Premium Member

said by Huuy:

I'll be contacting billing on Monday, tech support made it sound like I can get 1.5Mbps for the price of the 1Mbps package.

I'm confused. According to the web site Verizon offers a .768 to 1 Mbs and a 1.5 to 3 Mbs plan at this point in time. Have them provision you for the 1.5 to 3 Mbs plan and let the modem and DSLAM set your speed.

You appear to be provisioned for a legacy plan.
Huuy
Cohoes, NY

Huuy

I went to call Verizon again but i noticed my router stats have changed.

Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_2plus
Data Path FAST

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 2109 636
Margin (dB) 16.1 15.5
Line Attenuation (dB) 58.5 32.2
Transmit Power (dBm) 18.2 12.4

I did a speed test:

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 5163.png

So it's an increase but not by a lot, my ping is somewhat high because of my terrible wireless receiver, I should have plug in the Ethernet cable.

You think that's as high as they can go? I'm wondering if I call them again they might try to increase it.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
Netcong, NJ

batterup

Premium Member

said by Huuy:

I went to call Verizon again but i noticed my router stats have changed.

Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_2plus
Data Path FAST

Margin (dB) 16.1 15.5
Line Attenuation (dB) 58.5 32.2
Transmit Power (dBm) 18.2 12.4

You think that's as high as they can go? I'm wondering if I call them again they might try to increase it.

They have provisioned you for 3 Mbs. Something is odd though. Your margin (db) went up with the higher speed; that is not supposed to happen. The modem and DSLAM set the speed with ADSL2+ up your provisioned speed. Why you aren't getting more I don't know. The low end for you line is 2658 Mbs. Try booting the modem a few times and see what speeds you get.
quote:
Margin (dB) 16.1 15.5

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 1790 447
Margin (dB) 11.5 20.8

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

It looks like when the higher speed was kicked in, the transmit power was also bumped up quite a bit as well. That's noteworthy to point out.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
Netcong, NJ

batterup

Premium Member

said by Smith6612:

It looks like when the higher speed was kicked in, the transmit power was also bumped up quite a bit as well. That's noteworthy to point out.

So noted. But isn't it unusual for the S/N to go up with a faster speed?

These are my readings from before and after my speed upgrade. What is odd is I'm now 600 feet farther from the CO.
quote:
Transceiver Information Downstream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 9116
Margin (dB) 9.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 39.5
Transmit Power (dBm) 19.4

Transceiver Information Downstream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3360
Margin (dB) 12.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 37.0
Transmit Power (dBm) 7.3
Huuy
Cohoes, NY

1 edit

Huuy

Called again, and the tech kept saying over and over again that I'm only provisioned for 1.5Mbps, so I gave up. Not too long after my DSL went offline then back online and now my stats are as follows.

Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_2plus
Data Path FAST

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 2524 824
Margin (dB) 12.9 9.9
Line Attenuation (dB) 59.0 32.2
Transmit Power (dBm) 18.3 12.4

Looks like my Margin went back down, is that a good thing?

So it looks like someone was looking into it or the DSL is just now starting to optimize, after 3 weeks. Maybe I'll see it jump up to around 3200 soon.

Speed test: »www.speedtest.net/result ··· 0822.png

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

The margin going down isn't a good thing, but it will vary. Just as long as the line is remaining stable and not dropping in a sense, despite the distance you're at it should be ok at the current speeds. With FastPath being on the line though, it won't be as tolerant to any sudden spikes in noise.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
Netcong, NJ

batterup to Huuy

Premium Member

to Huuy
said by Huuy:

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 2524

Your up speed is very close to the theoretical maximum of between 2658 and 3249. With them telling you you can only get and are provisioned for 1.5, a plan they no longer offer, you are not going to get better. As was stated no speed is guaranteed and even if they admitted you are on the 1.5 to 3 plan you are well above 1.5.

With ADSL2+ the DSLAM will give you the best it can up to 3 Mbs but your speed may change as you line cannot handle 3 Mbs. You are doing much better now than you were doing when you made your OP.

ADSL2+ is really a best effort speed as the speed curve drops much more quickly than ADSL.