Search similar:

uniqs

BoastonMA
@mathworks.com

BoastonMA

Anon

Do I need DOCSIS 3.0 modem? Considering SB6120

Hi,

I am leasing modem from Comcast, but recent rate hike from $5 to $7 is prompting me to dump Comcast and buy my own. The modem I currently leasing is DOCSIS 3.0 and give me good speed. I am on Performance tier but some time see speed, especially after having this modem, going up to 60Mbps/5Mbps. Is this because of modem or something else. Should I go for Motorola SB6120 or Motorola is not good and should keep paying Comcast $7 a month...Please advice..Thanks
Papageno
join:2011-01-26
Portland, OR

Papageno

I'm a noob, so take my advice for what it's worth, but I understand that at the Performance/Performance Plus tier you only need DOCSIS 2, and that getting a DOCSIS 3 modem is only for future-proofing purposes, in case you upgrade later to Extreme 50 or something.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

EG

Premium Member

said by Papageno:

and that getting a DOCSIS 3 modem is only for future-proofing purposes, in case you upgrade later to Extreme 50 or something.

There are capacity/congestion and failover benefits to be had by using a D3 capable modem on an upgraded to D3 system.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

1 edit

Chris 313 to BoastonMA

Premium Member

to BoastonMA
Get the 6120, be future proofed and definitely ready for the next upgrade that's coming. If you haven't already, the upcoming Performance speed will be 15/2.

See here: »Comcast Shaking Up Speed Tiers (Again) [108] comments

Amazon has the 6120 available, and been on sale recently. You might get lucky too: »www.amazon.com/Motorola- ··· 5&sr=8-1

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Papageno

Premium Member

to Papageno
D3>D2 = win/win
Papageno
Portland, OR

Papageno to BoastonMA

to BoastonMA
Thanks for setting me straight. Anyone in Portland using it with Comcast's Performance tier? I want to have some idea that it'll work properly before I shell out for it.

Gsnorgathon
join:2011-02-18
Seattle, WA

3 edits

1 recommendation

Gsnorgathon

Not in Portland (Seattle), but the sb6120 is an officially supported modem (see mydeviceinfo.comcast.net), and works fine with Performance here. I'd guess I've gotten maybe 10% better upload speeds than my docsis 2.0 (terayon tj 715x), and more consistent download speeds, possibly due to the downstream channel bonding. Downstream SNR went from ~35 to 37.
Papageno
Portland, OR

Papageno

OK, bought. Amazon has it on sale for less than 100 bucks, and I've got "free" two-day shipping with Prime. Besides, I think the modem rental here is 8 bucks a month.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny to BoastonMA

to BoastonMA
I added a link to this topic in the list of similar topics in the first post of the stickied DOCSIS 3.0 thread.

Recap:

DOCSIS 3.0 Modem for a DOCSIS 2.0 Tier
»Docsis 3 modem for lower tier useful?
»Do you need DOCSIS 3.0 Modem to get 12mbs download?
»Do I need DOCSIS 3.0 modem? Considering SB6120