spc
Search similar:

uniqs
criggs
join:2000-07-14
New York, NY

criggs

March Sprint 3G Speeds

We've all been sorta using the February thread, cause we kinda got used to it, I guess. But it's pretty much March now, I guess!

I'll start it off, from Speakeasy:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 611 kbps (76.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 475 kbps (59.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
criggs

criggs

Hey, it's getting lonely out here. Where are my fellow Sprint 3G users?

Anyway, here's my speed today, from Speakeasy since Speedtest still hasn't fixed the Forum Copy link yet:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 681 kbps (85.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 352 kbps (44 KB/sec transfer rate)

Just barely in spec.
John Patrick
join:2001-06-07
Sioux City, IA
·Sparklight

John Patrick to criggs

to criggs
Sioux City, Iowa first test on 3G

tmoney
@sbcglobal.net

tmoney to criggs

Anon

to criggs
pathetic... they say there's an outage in my area since feb 26 but im not so sure. is there any reason why my new EVO would be this slow? (any hidden settings on the phone?)

criggs
New York, NY

2 edits

criggs

That's really odd. You've got download speeds worse than 1XRTT (the precursor of 3G), and you've got smoking hot upload speeds that are faster than 4G!! Really odd.

For what it's worth, my Evo Shift came out of the box with 3G speeds stuck in the 1XRTT range, around 120k (I actually suspect I WAS connecting to the 1XRTT network).

Finally, after Sprint spent two hours getting nowhere, I did a search through this forum and finally found a procedure which fixed the problem. It turns out that many of the Evo Shifts are coming out of the box with screwed-up 3G and, for whatever reason, Sprint has decided to let the poor slobs stew unless they're lucky enough to find the solution.

If you go to »androidforums.com/evo-4g ··· o4g.html you will see a detailed description of what you have to do. It took me about 10 minutes, but it did the trick. I am indebted to DSL Reports user Shimonmor for having called my attention to this fix.

Of course, in your case, there's a wild card, and that's that smoking hot upload speed. The procedure may not work for you, but it couldn't hurt to try.

By the way, the reason why I haven't posted any speeds for two days is that Sprint told me to switch back to 4G and stop using 3G for a while. They lent me a modem, and the 3G connection worked PERFECTLY for four days, for the first time since September 27th. It was a Novatel Wireless PC card.

So now I'm beginning to suspect that there is some basic incompatibility between the 3G network and some of these USB modems. Unfortunately, if I am to have access to the 4G network, USB modems are about the only game in town.

Sprint's latest suggestion is to swap my current U600 4G/3G modem for ANOTHER U600 4G/3G modem. So I guess I'll have to go through that charade as well, even though I'm confident there's nothing 'wrong' with my current modem and that we're dealing instead with some basic firmware incompatibility between the 4G/3G modems and the 3G network.

Once they force this 'new' U 600 modem down my throat, and we've satisfactorily established that that hasn't done bupkus (sp), maybe FINALLY they'll acknowledge that the U600 simply can't handle the 3G in my area due to some firmware screwup probably, and they'll get me another model 4G/3G modem.

So I'm actually starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'll tentatively predict that I'll get my new modem on Monday, that they'll force me to use it for a week and it will be a disaster, and that a week from Monday they will FINALLY give me a different model modem and the problem may finally be corrected.

Six months after the problem hit. Lame, lame, lame.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to criggs

Premium Member

to criggs
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

The Northern Neck is impressive. Wish they would stick up a pole near me.

Meanwhile though the Sprint is not that bad now that they upgraded.

Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

you will have a totally different option pretty soon Jack

JimP2
@mycingular.net

JimP2 to criggs

Anon

to criggs
I'm a former fellow Sprint 3G user. I've been a customer for 4 years, and my speeds just kept slowing down. I started with consistent 400-600 kbs. I was very happy with this since I'm not even line-of-sight from the tower about 4 miles away. For the last 6 months, I got fed up with frequent dial-up speeds (50 kbs) and max speeds of 200 kbs, so I switched to AT&T about two weeks ago. Now I'm back to 400-600 kbs as the usual speed. I use the DSL Reports test site for Comcast in DC. I used to use the Parsippany, NJ, server, but is no longer offered.
JimP2

JimP2

Anon

I forgot to add that I'm located between Martinsburg, WV and Winchester, VA, west of I-81. Shenandoah Telecommunications (Edinburg, VA) operates the Sprint PCS network in this area, so it may be their issue.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to criggs

Premium Member

to criggs
criggs
New York, NY

criggs

Well, today could be important for my 3G connection. I am once again on 3G, not 4G, since Sprint is asking me once again to try the connection.

As I FULLY expected, the replacement U600 modem had NO EFFECT on my 3G problems at all. So, having wasted a week proving to Sprint that I was right, they finally, FINALLY, swapped my U600 for a U250.

I start my testing today. It's too soon yet to know whether my connectivity problems have been corrected by the swap, but I'll keep this forum posted.

In the meantime, here's my Speakeasy results from today, since Speedtest.net has still not fixed the missing Forum Copy link:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 988 kbps (123.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 346 kbps (43.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

lunarPlexus
Nothin' Up Muh Sleeve
Premium Member
join:2003-02-08
Chicago, IL

lunarPlexus to criggs

Premium Member

to criggs
On 3G for the moment. Talked to tech support who sent me a THIRD Overdrive. But they told me to wait 5 days to activate it while they look at the towers near me. I guess there are 5 towers within ~1.5 miles from me. 3 had trouble tickets already; now all 5 do. Not sure which is relatively worse, my pathetic 4G numbers or these pathetic 3G numbers. Is there a lower grade than F minus?

criggs
New York, NY

criggs

I'd say your 3G numbers are far worse relatively. Sprint's minimum average download 3G speed spec is 600 kpbs; you're getting 230. Sprint's minimum average upload 3G speed spec is 350 kpbs; you're getting 50.

On the other hand, unless you haven't had a chance to post your 4G speeds lately, your last successful connection at home, posted at »MARCH 2011 4G WiMax Speeds , indicated a download speed of 3.19 mbps versus the Sprint minimum of 3, while your upload speed is significantly below minimum Sprint spec, 260 kpbs versus Sprint's 500 kpbs.

Of course, your 4G situation may have worsened. The last I know, judging from your postings at »MARCH 2011 4G WiMax Speeds , is that you were given a new modem which can't connect at all to the 4G. So I am basing my remarks above on your last posted connection speeds with your previous device, if I've got it straight. I am not factoring your 4G speeds on that bus!

mc1lean
join:2007-11-18
Lincolnton, NC

mc1lean to criggs

to criggs

Added a Wilson desktop and fired up my Wilson amp that I wasn't using when I had a grid (I cannibalized the LS-400 cable for my panel I use for Verizon LTE). Was getting 1.3 down a little while ago. If I didn't have to share Sprint with my family and no ETF, I'd consider going back.
criggs
New York, NY

1 edit

criggs

As some of you may have read in my posting at »Is U600 Modem Unfair To 3G Network? , it appears that my six-month-old 3G problem has finally been solved and fixed. I am awaiting Sprint's official determination that that has indeed been the case, at which point I will switch back to 4G, as there will be no further need of my ongoing testing of the Sprint 3G network.

In the meantime, until such time as Sprint closes my current 3G trouble ticket, I will continue to operate on 3G, and will continue to file daily (or semi-daily!) reports on my speed results for that connection.

Here's what I'm getting today from the DSL Reports Speakeasy New York Flash speedtest:

(I continue to refuse to use Speedtest until they restore their Forum Copy link.)

As you can see, my 3G speeds are well within spec.

Back again tomorrow, same time, same bat channel.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to criggs

Premium Member

to criggs
Sprint is continuing to provide excellent wireless broadband service.

DS1192
join:2010-07-16
La Crosse, WI

DS1192

So it's 11:50AM and I get my best speedtest ever received. I know I have a single T-1 tower because I would never go over 1.30mbps download and a single T-1 can give you a 1.4mbps max, so I figured I have a single T-1 tower. But now this speedtest changed that, so either the speedtest is false, or Sprint upgraded my tower which I would not be surprised because my tower goes down a few times a year, and tower load is very evident during day times. I will be doing more speedtests to confirm.
DS1192

DS1192

Looks like it was too good to be true, but service works just fine so I can't complain.
criggs
New York, NY

criggs to DS1192

to DS1192
In my experience, Speakeasy is more typical, in terms of matching the average of every other site's speed tests, than Speedtest. Assuming that what is most typical is also most accurate, that means Speakeasy is also more useful and reliable than Speedtest. Note that's what I'm using now, not Speedtest.

So, before assuming your tower has been upgraded, I'd go to »speakeasy.net/speedtest/ and use a server somewhere near you, I guess the Chicago server.

lunarPlexus
Nothin' Up Muh Sleeve
Premium Member
join:2003-02-08
Chicago, IL

lunarPlexus

Premium Member

No 4G at all tonight. Here's my 3G from your Speakeasy test.

Download Speed: 279 kbps (34.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 12 kbps (1.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Ever see anything this shitty? Much as I loathe cable, it may be in my future.
criggs
New York, NY

criggs

No, I don't think I've seen 3G that slow ever.

I HAVE seen 3G, when in profound technical difficulty, download a lot slower than that (when my 3G connection exploded on me back in September, it stayed at an absolutely unbelievable 500 bps, yes, Bps, not kbps, for an outrageous three months). But that entire time the upload speed was usually normal.

I've also seen 3G stuck in the 1XRTT lane, but that's not the case with you either, since your download exceeds 1X's maximum capability.
criggs

criggs

So here's my 3G speed today:

mdembski
join:2001-04-04
Washington, DC

mdembski to criggs

to criggs
I'm in Washington DC and have NEVER gotten above 50 kbps download. Not good for anything more than the most basic browsing and test email downloads. Very disappointed and would never recommend.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to criggs

Premium Member

to criggs
DS1192
La Crosse, WI

DS1192 to criggs

to criggs

This test was taken with other clients using the connection. For sure using a single T-1. I am loving the 88ms ping.
DS1192

DS1192

Speakeasy Results at 3:00AM

Download Speed: 1386 kbps (173.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 425 kbps (53.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

I have had a very weird week with my speed, during the day it's hard to get above 500kbps down, and my ping is jumping around. My tower went down again the other day as well. They got it back up an running about 11:00PM, and my signal strength has improved a little. I guess it's just Tower Load, I wish they would upgrade it already. Dang Netflix streamers.
criggs
New York, NY

criggs

With regard to ping speed jumping around, I've been reading other recent messages reporting that as well. It doesn't make sense to me. Can someone explain that? I thought ping was exclusively a question of distance, not heavy tower usage. Am I wrong about that?

Towers dying and needing repair shouldn't be a function of heavy usage, no? That has more to do with installation sloppiness and maintenance sloppiness, no?

I guess what I'm saying is that the two problems you're reporting, tower downtime and jumpy ping speeds, may not relate to tower load and/or Netflix streamers at all. Or am I way off base?
DS1192
La Crosse, WI

DS1192

Yes, ping time is dependent on distance, but a heavily loaded tower is going to bring back unstable ping times.