spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

user1

@btcentralplus.com

a ftth router please ?!!

hi there i am looking for a ftth router that can take a actual fiber conection to the router has wifi and gigabit lan (copper) ports on. need this quite quickly but of course cheaper the better .
thanks alot
matt

cyberbeing

join:2005-02-18
Sacramento, CA
I don't believe what you want exists, so you'll need to make a compromise.

Compromise 1:
1Gbps Fiber SFP WAN / 1Gbps Copper LAN Router (Allied Telesis AT-AR770S?)
+
Wireless Router

Compromise 2:
1Gbps Fiber SFP WAN / 100Mbps Copper LAN / 802.11n-draft Router (Cisco 892FW?)
+
1Gbps Switch

Compromise 3:
1Gbps Fiber SFP WAN / 100MBps Copper LAN (Cisco 892F?)
+
1Gbps Switch
+
Wireless Router

Either way you are looking at over $1000/£1000/€1000, but that is as cheap as you can get for routers with a fiber interface.

opfcorp

join:2011-03-09
Miami, FL
These items do exist. I have a partner factory in Asia that produces this.. If you are really interested I could get my hands on an OEM model for you to check out.

Fiber To The Home

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to user1
As cyberbeing See Profile posted you are probably not going to find a single device to do what you want.

Fiber is the "wire." Saying you have FTTH is like saying you have a copper circuit to the home, need to know what protocols are used: Point-to-Point, PON, BPON, GPON, EPON or something else.

Is this just for data or will it be double or triple play: Phone TV? If so how is that delivered?

/tom

user1

@btcentralplus.com
gigabit ethernet. is it esier just to get a gb sm media converter and a bog standerd router with a 'gbit wan' copper rj45 port on it ?

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
said by user1 :

is it esier just to get a gb sm media converter and a bog standerd router with a 'gbit wan' copper rj45 port on it ?

Yes. Does your ISP really terminate naked fiber? I assume they provide customers with some sort of modem that terminates with Copper or fiber Gig Ethernet.

I assume you have a very fast connection. Be sure whatever router you purchase has enough performance to do IPv4 NAT and that supports IPv6.

/tom

user1

@btcentralplus.com
said by tschmidt:

said by user1 :

is it esier just to get a gb sm media converter and a bog standerd router with a 'gbit wan' copper rj45 port on it ?

Yes. Does your ISP really terminate naked fiber? I assume they provide customers with some sort of modem that terminates with Copper or fiber Gig Ethernet.

I assume you have a very fast connection. Be sure whatever router you purchase has enough performance to do IPv4 NAT and that supports IPv6.

/tom

yes it is fttr but they want 200 for a cruddy isp branded router (lacking the stuff i need like vpn,proxy,throttleing, blocking ect ect) wich i wouldn't really want to use any-way seems like the way to go is grab a sm to g-bit ethernet then pach that to what ever (cisco) router/switch i want aslong as it has a gbit wan port this will cost slighly less than the 200 for thier router and give me the features/brand i want/need.

yep it (will be)gigabit full duplex (symetric)
Expand your moderator at work

opfcorp

join:2011-03-09
Miami, FL
reply to tschmidt

Re: a ftth router please ?!!

No Network terminates with bare fiber, but the Media Convertors would change the fiber optic signal to a plausible signal to plug the ethernet cbles into your home network. Even with FTTH (Fiber to the Home) the home is copper wired to all the appliances.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to user1
An Actiontec MAY work

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
said by Jackarino:

An Actiontec MAY work

No. The OP stated he wants a router a fiber connection. Actiontecs have only coax and cat5 WAN ports.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.