how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state
kudos:2

Do you still owee if your mechanic doesn't fix your car?

If you take a car in for something wrong, and a mechanic says a certain repair will fix it, and that certain repair doesn't actually fix it, do you still owe?

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
What was done and who suggested the repair?
It there a warranty on the mechanics work/parts (something you always ask before letting him/her touch your car)?

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to billydunwood
Sounds a bit like a loaded question.

If we can get the details from both sides, we will have a better chance of judging.

The obvious answer is that there are multiple answers.

If the situation is as described, then morally, no; legally, maybe (what were the terms?).
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

ttiiggy
Premium
join:2001-03-27
Bozeman, MT
reply to billydunwood
said by billydunwood:

If you go to the hospital for something wrong, and a Doctor says a certain procedure will fix you, and that certain procedure doesn't actually fix you, do you still owe?

ALWAYS!

It is not always definite with your car.

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4
reply to billydunwood
On the face of it, I wouldn't pay for a misdiagnosis. Only time I would is if the mechanic says there is a chance it might not. But he would have to let me know ahead of time and let me decide if he should go through with the work or not.

Waterbug

join:2008-03-30

1 recommendation

reply to billydunwood
Did the mechanic return the supposedly defective component? Was the part indeed defective ? Sometimes a problem can be caused by multiple defective components. For example, a front end shimmy could be wheel bearings, tie rod ends, ball joints, alignment, tires, bent wheels, wheel balancing or the gears in the steering mechanism. Since all parts wear, the shimmy could be a single part or a combination of any or ALL of the above. The mechanic may find a bad component and not realize that there are other issues. He could find bad tie rod ends and not realize that the wheels are out of balance also. (maybe from uneven wear, due to the tie rod issue).

billydunwood

united state
reply to Lurch77
This didn't happen to us, I just wanted to ask in case it ever did happen to us. Let's say i bring in a car for the tranny slipping. If a mechanic says its X and fixes X, if it doesn't work he should foot the bill, because he told me that would fix it and I brought it to him for a specific reason, which he didn't fix. I just though it was an interesting question.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11

1 recommendation

said by billydunwood:

Let's say i bring in a car for the tranny slipping. If a mechanic says its X and fixes X, if it doesn't work he should foot the bill, because he told me that would fix it and I brought it to him for a specific reason, which he didn't fix. I just though it was an interesting question.

First of all you would have to pay to get the car back to find out if the work done didn't work, so you be screwed there!
If you demand a WRITTEN warranty on the work done and it doesn't fix the problem the mechanic has to fix whatever the problem is for free from that point on!

billydunwood

united state
said by The Pig:

said by billydunwood:

Let's say i bring in a car for the tranny slipping. If a mechanic says its X and fixes X, if it doesn't work he should foot the bill, because he told me that would fix it and I brought it to him for a specific reason, which he didn't fix. I just though it was an interesting question.

First of all you would have to pay to get the car back to find out if the work done didn't work, so you be screwed there!
If you demand a WRITTEN warranty on the work done and it doesn't fix the problem the mechanic has to fix whatever the problem is for free from that point on!

Yes, you are right indeed. Most mechanics test drive their cars when their done working on them, and if he noticed a problem after he apparently fixed it, he would know he is screwed.

lolwutomgz

@optonline.net
reply to billydunwood
Um do you go to the doc and not pay when they don't fix ya?

Waterbug hit it right on the head... one issue can be masked by another, that can cause a third... I do not think you will find anyone who says... yep do this and it will work or your money back... it is just not possible...

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4
said by lolwutomgz :

Um do you go to the doc and not pay when they don't fix ya?

Waterbug hit it right on the head... one issue can be masked by another, that can cause a third... I do not think you will find anyone who says... yep do this and it will work or your money back... it is just not possible...

In which case, as I said earlier, the mechanic should let you know ahead of time that it may be more than one issue, and he cannot guarantee a fix the first time.

Waterbug

join:2008-03-30

1 edit
reply to The Pig
said by The Pig:

said by billydunwood:

WRONG !!! There isn't a court in the world that is going to compel a mechanic to fix a problem for free. The limit of the mechanics liability is to return your money. If a mechanic told you that a U-joint was causing a drive-train vibration and it turned out to be the transmission torque converter, you MAY get your money back for the U-joint, but you sure as hell are not going to get a free transmission.

EDIT: A Warranty only applies to parts replaced. The mechanic is warranting his work on the U-joint and not your transmission. Just because you replaced a U-joint, you can't expect your transmission to last a year. If the tranny went the next day, the mechanic had no way of knowing that it would and has NO liability. If he was liable, he would need to charge the price of the transmission for the U-joint repair, just to stay in business.

Just recently I've had my car to the same mechanic 3 times for the same problem, first two trips tallied $800, this third visit I was told that replacing a particular part that involved a lot of labor would guarantee to fix the problem. It didn't. I am willing to pay for the part, but not the labor, I was guaranteed it would work, (the only reason I agreed to do it) and he again was wrong. I feel he has been wrong too many times now, and don't feel I'm responsible for the latest labor bill. Anyone have any thoughts on this, agree or disagree and why?? Thanks, Tony

FordTech1
Premium
join:2005-06-22
Katy, TX
kudos:3

1 recommendation

Sounds like he is a parts replacer and you should not have to pay for the labor. Get the owner of the repair center involved. If the mechanic is the owner and mechanic, I would take it else wheres, get it repaired then submit him the bill for a refund.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
said by FordTech1:

Sounds like he is a parts replacer and you should not have to pay for the labor. Get the owner of the repair center involved. If the mechanic is the owner and mechanic, I would take it else wheres, get it repaired then submit him the bill for a refund.

I was just going to say that he was a parts hanger and thus - not really a mechanic imho...
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

koma3504
Advocate
Premium
join:2004-06-22
North Richland Hills, TX
reply to FordTech1
Reminds me of a 99 chevy suburban. this one Buddie took to where his dad recommended. 1800 bucks later nothing fixed. And this was a reputable shop. Guess what A $54 oreily fuel pressure sensor and a 20 gasket. Oh and the case of beer had it fixed in 4 hours.

Oh yea this was after he sold it to another Buddie for take over payments. Guess who ended up on top of that deal??

seeker

@rcn.com
reply to Tony Ballion
I can relate my mechanic is not as reliable as he used to be I have to keep taking it back leaving it for 2 days. I am really debating whether to switch mechanics but I have been going there for so long, I don't even know how to choose a good mechanic. It is so frustrating they don't care that they keep inconveniencing you.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to billydunwood
Some places charge to look at the vehicle, to see what the problem is. That fee is normally dropped if you let them do the work.
--
To All Real Dads. For All Real Moms Every Real
Service.