how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

erikthebean

join:2007-06-25
Manchester, NH

[NH] New DSL Provider?

I have a question for the folks in NH. If you had a choice for another DSL provider (besides FairPoint) would you go with it, or is it too much of a hassle and would you just stay with FairPoint. I know their are other options in NH, but they are mostly aimed toward Business Class customers. Thanks for your input.

-Erik

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·FirstLight Fiber
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
If the other option was a CLEC and not just a shop reselling Fairpoint it may be worthwhile.

As you mentioned there are a number of companies that rent copper and colocate DSLAMs, but they primarily target business accounts with much higher monthly charge.

My experience with Fairpoint has been about the same as Verizon in terms of reliability and speed. What I would really like is faster speed but that is not possible with copper based DSL at my distance.

If the competitor did not use PPPoE and ATM they could offer 10% higher speed for the same price. Nice perk for us Geeks but not enough difference for a big marketing impact.

/tom

erikthebean

Manchester, NH
reply to erikthebean
Sidenote, do you mean an ATM backbone? Or ATM to the modem, since ATM to the modem is needed for adsl. And if you mean the backbone what are its disadvantages? The only reason I ask is I have worked for a couple of different isp's some with an ATM network, and some with an Ethernet network, and both had its advantages and disadvantages, but never with speed.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
ATM to the modem it the important issue, because it consumes requires expensive DSL bandwidth. ATM is not required for ADSL. Telcos like it because it makes it easy to support 3rd party ISPs.

erikthebean

Manchester, NH
Well from the dslam to the modem always has to be atm. That is just the design of ADSL. Even if it is a IP dslam its still ATM from the dslam to the modem.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·FirstLight Fiber
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
said by erikthebean:

Well from the dslam to the modem always has to be atm.

I respectfully disagree.

/tom
Expand your moderator at work