share rss forum feed

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

[Rave] My Dell printer

I bought a Dell Color Laser 3010cn back in July 2006.  It came with "starter" toner cartridges with a rated capacity of 2000 pages.

For the first time, only recently did I have to* replace any of the toners. (Black, naturally.)  I checked my Printer Volume and I got over 4700 pages out of that first cartridge.

*BTW the front panel was saying "Black toner low" for over a year, but I kept using it as there was no loss of ink coverage.  I only changed it when it went from "low" to "empty".  (I wonder how many people rush out and change it when there's still plenty of ink left.)

Anyway, the new 4000-page capacity cartridge only cost $40.  This is way more economical than those damn inkjets.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
Some printers, (ahem HP), their ink/toner "expires", and the printer will refuse to use that cartridge. It's such a rip off, especially if there's ink still left in there. But it's how they can force you buy new ink.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

thedragonmas

join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
kudos:1
reply to Wily_One
i used to have a samsung ml-1450 and man do i miss that thing.

now ive got a kodak esp 7.. i hate how it "cleans" the heads weather you have used it recently or not, or from a power failure.

i give it credit in the fact that when it says "low" it means it. i figured id run untill it was empty, but when it said it was empty it only did half a page before starting to "streak out" and run dry.

my next printer is either going to have seperate fillable tanks for each color. or, its going to be laser.

Wily_One
Premium
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
That's why I went with laser. There was higher up-front cost (the printer cost me about $300), but since then the only thing I've had to buy is paper. Oh and it's networked so the whole house can use it.

The inkjet market is based on the Kodak business model: sell cheap cameras and expensive film becomes sell cheap printers and expensive ink.

IMTheGame

join:2001-11-27
Florissant, MO
reply to Wily_One
That 2000 pages estimation is based on a certain percentage of coverage, so if you print alot of little stuff that doesnt cover most of the page that's why you got so much more.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to Wily_One
said by Wily_One:

I checked my Printer Volume and I got over 4700 pages out of that first cartridge.

The rating is based on a typical 5% page coverage. Actual usage may be lower or higher.
I had printers that were routinely getting 20,000+ low-coverage pages from a HP 27X cartridge rated 10,000 pages (in fact the drum was showing wear signs and cartridge had to be replaced before the toner was out), while the printer used for invoices was only getting 6,000 or so pages with the same cartridges.

Wily_One
Premium
San Jose, CA
Nevertheless I am still pleased.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to Rob
said by Rob:

Some printers, (ahem HP), their ink/toner "expires", and the printer will refuse to use that cartridge. It's such a rip off, especially if there's ink still left in there. But it's how they can force you buy new ink.

Theres software that'll reset the timer so you can use ALL your ink.
--
The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to Wily_One
I still have a Brother HL1230 monochrome laser from 2002. It's parallel-only, no USB or network.

It was on its original toner cartridge until 2009 when the print quality started to degrade so I got a high capacity (5000 page) cartridge for it off eBay for $30. Should be good for at least another 10 years!

Yeah it's an old printer but works perfect and is more than enough for what I print, which is mostly documents with text and simple diagrams.

freeze
I'm not even Greek
Premium
join:2001-05-13
Ohio
reply to Wily_One
Laser printers are awesome.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Wily_One
I would love to have a laser printer - but the color printers are still pretty expensive and the reviews are very mixed.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain