how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

IIIBradIII
Comm M-E-L Instr

join:2000-09-28
Greer, SC

Because Repeating It Over And Over Magically Makes It True?

It worked for evolutionary theory.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

said by IIIBradIII:

UBB will happen. But TWC can't sell it with super low caps like they tried to do. Real UBB with reasonable caps and reasonable per GB fees will most likely happen at all major providers eventually - online video will guarantee it.
--
Record your speedtest.net results in DSLReports SpeedWave
»www.speedtest.net/wave/1b3ef29fa84ff7ce

coldmoon
Premium
join:2002-02-04
Broadway, NC
Reviews:
·Windstream

1 recommendation

reply to IIIBradIII

said by IIIBradIII:

Problem is, is that the theory of Evolution IS true by all the evidence I have ever seen or studied in school so the analogy fails spectacularly here...

JMHO
--
Returnil - 21st Century body armor for your PC

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
reply to IIIBradIII

No different than strategically repeating rumors. They will eventually take hold and become true. Try it. I've done it before at my job and it does work.

Expand your moderator at work

del ftl

@comcast.net
reply to coldmoon

Re: Because Repeating It Over And Over Magically Makes It True?

You fell right into the posters point. According to the CEO.. All the evidence he's seen and studied shows that per byte billing is true. I mean he has all this proof around him in the form of analyst's, trends, shareholders, and forecasters. Who are you the claim that the truth (his THEORY) is not accurate?
So in order to solidify "the truth" he simply repeats it until more and more and more people agree with him.

As an aside I do think there is some validity to evolution, but am not delusional enough to think that we have the slightest clue about how we really came to be because there's a 99% chance we're at least slightly wrong, and a reasonable chance we are completely wrong.

HappyAnarchy

@iauq.com
reply to FFH

I don't get this? Why?
It has been shown over and over again that reasonable investment in the network will make it more than capable of handling online video.
It is working all over the world, it is working in America. None of these companies have had issues maintining profit in the face of internet video, and I have a hard time believing they would considering the margins they work with and the profits they post.

moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

Real UBB with reasonable caps and reasonable per GB fees will most likely happen at all major providers eventually - online video will guarantee it.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Let me catch my breath.

Nice joke but you know darn well that low caps will be the norm since online video cuts into the profits of cables VOD setup.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
·Comcast
reply to coldmoon

said by coldmoon:

said by IIIBradIII:

Problem is, is that the theory of Evolution IS true by all the evidence I have ever seen or studied in school so the analogy fails spectacularly here...

JMHO

and there is no evidence to show that UBB is necessary.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
·Comcast
reply to del ftl

said by del ftl :

As an aside I do think there is some validity to evolution, but am not delusional enough to think that we have the slightest clue about how we really came to be because there's a 99% chance we're at least slightly wrong, and a reasonable chance we are completely wrong.

And that is probably the most correct answer to that question. Nobody knows, nor will we ever know for sure.

coldmoon
Premium
join:2002-02-04
Broadway, NC
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to ArrayList

said by ArrayList:

said by coldmoon:

said by IIIBradIII:

JMHO

and there is no evidence to show that UBB is necessary.

There I can agree with you without reservation.

Your thoughts on evolution however are an entirely different matter where you should consider a great deal more study of the facts and give less credence to dogma...

JMHO
--
Returnil - 21st Century body armor for your PC

roymustang
Premium
join:2002-01-12
Cincinnati, OH
reply to HappyAnarchy

It will happen because cable/telecos will do everything in their power to protect their video services. Bandwidth issues are just a convenient cover.

Kamus

join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX
reply to IIIBradIII

obvious troll is obvious.

Kamus

El Paso, TX
reply to FFH

You're assuming technology is just going to stand still for this upcoming "unmanageable" bandwidth demand.

This never happened for music when the internet of back then could barely handle the traffic and colleges were scrambling to find ways to stop those "bandwidth hogs". (a.k.a. all their students)

The same is true for video. Right now it might seem like this new surge in demand is going to be unmanageable, but in just a few years, technology is going to allow people to move on from 1080p videos to something like IMAX resolution.

Of course, this isn't going to happen anytime soon. Since we'd need a new HDTV standard, but you get the idea. The bandwidth capacity is going to be there, technological progress won't wait for HDTV standards to catch up.

And if those companies haven't found a way to migrate their users to FTTH by then. Well, that's too bad. Because if it's not them, somebody else will do it.

Fair UBB would only ever make some sense on a shared copper network like cable. It has never made sense for DSL, and never will make sense for fiber networks, even shared ones like G-PON, since better ways of modulating the lasers should stay ahead of the demand curve for quite some time.
Yes, i know right now the only clear upgrade path for G-PON is XG-PON, but this should only be temporary. (i mean, XG-PON isn't even officially out yet)

So basically, in my opinion. "Fair UBB" would make sense for cable if they stayed on copper by the time the bandwidth demand really started to slow their shared copper wires down a few years down the road.
And if that started to happen, i suspect that if people had a choice they'd just jump ship, instead of putting up with limited capacity and overages.

But i don't think it's going to go down like that. I'm going to be very surprised if the US has any significant markets still on copper 5 years from now.

But i should never underestimate their mediocrity, they might just surprise me, i doubt it though.

Kamus

El Paso, TX
reply to coldmoon

Didn't your mother ever tell you?

"When we go to the Zoo, we do not feed the trolls!"