Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

QC
Premium
join:2008-03-02
Cleveland, OH

The meter's running

OK, lets say AT&T does metered billing. Could IPTV (like U-Verse) traffic be separated? Because that's Mega GIGs, and if they can separate it, I will fear them.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:42

Re: The meter's running

Absolutely. U-Verse TV traffic is already managed beside data traffic within the home. Though AT&T stopped their metered billing trials, in part I'm told by someone at AT&T, because the monitoring and billing changes they would have had to implement wouldn't have paid for themselves within five years...

QC
Premium
Cleveland, OH

I fear them, and maybe you a little!

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA

you only fear what you don't understand.

QC
Premium
Cleveland, OH

Correction!
I fear what I DO understand.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA

U-Verse TV traffic does not hit the internet. Any caps that AT&T would have would most likely be at the gateway to the internet.
openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2

Which is not where the bottlenecks have potential to exist. I would expect (and the net neutrality nannies would demand), that if IPTV bandwidth is consumed from your access to the Internet (i.e. U-verse cuts into a customer's 18-25 Mbps connection), then it should fall under caps and UBB. Maybe that's another reason AT&T has currently postponed its UBB trials?

QC
Premium
Cleveland, OH

It would sneakily force out other streaming movie providers to push their own PPV content.

Rambo76098

join:2003-02-21
Columbus, OH
If AT&T did put caps on the internet only, they'd be mad. There is no way they could justify them if the TV portion of UVerse was not metered.

"Watch as much Uverse TV as you want! But only so much Netflix or you get to pay overages!"