spc
Search similar:

uniqs

BucknRusty
join:2006-08-18
Liberty Hill, TX

BucknRusty

Stop mentioning video downloads.

I hope Dish and Direct TV don't get the crazy idea that the more TV I watch each month the more my satellite TV bill should be. I don't agree that metered billing is needed any more for ISPs than it should be used by satellite TV providers.

Can you imagine your cable or satellite bill being metered. Don't tell me that commercials keep those costs down, becasue I can't open a web page that isn't loaded with some type of ad, which I suspect is increasing the volume of data on the website and thus soon will be increasing my internet cost. So now I'm forced to pay more to see more "commercials" aka internet ads, popups, etc.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by BucknRusty:

I can't open a web page that isn't loaded with some type of ad, which I suspect is increasing the volume of data on the website and thus soon will be increasing my internet cost.

Adblock plus and other ad blockers stop showing ads and in many cases even stop them from downloading to your system.

skuv
@rr.com

skuv to BucknRusty

Anon

to BucknRusty
Satellite TV and Cable TV are broadcast mediums. They are broadcasting the same amount of bandwidth to all end points at all times, if you watch it or not.

That is not a sane comparison to Internet bandwidth, which only is used as you request it.

And unless your ISP is inserting their own ads into your web browsing, they aren't making a single cent off of the ads you are seeing. Cable companies do however insert ads into their broadcast streams and make money from those. Satellite companies hope to do the same thing by downloading the ads to your Satellite DVR, and inserting them from there.

BucknRusty
join:2006-08-18
Liberty Hill, TX

BucknRusty

So if I go to www.nytimes.com and when I opened it up there was an EHarmony and Starbucks ad on the page. Those are advirtisements and I bet NY Times was paid for it being on their web page. The amount of data that sent to me was tiny, yet it would be a cost if I were on metered billing. No ad blocker is going to stop that "ad" from being on the websites primary page.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by BucknRusty:

So if I go to www.nytimes.com and when I opened it up there was an EHarmony and Starbucks ad on the page. Those are advirtisements and I bet NY Times was paid for it being on their web page. The amount of data that sent to me was tiny, yet it would be a cost if I were on metered billing. No ad blocker is going to stop that "ad" from being on the websites primary page.

In almost all cases, those ads would be blocked. Very few ads are actually served up from the primary site you are going to. Most are served up by 3rd party ad farms and are linked to from the main web page and not actually served from the main web pages web site.
ind_ed
join:2011-03-11
Edison, NJ

ind_ed to BucknRusty

to BucknRusty
You bring up a very good point, ISP's are going to have to
defend unwarranted charges, even from inside there online
email clients, I think that's one reason they have yet to make
a all out effort to meter us.

Because no one can be forced to pay for adds that they do not
request. I also believe as we look back one day the internet as we
knew it will have been far more affordable and fair then what are
kids will ever experience one day. unless we stand up now

Far smarter people then me need to start organizing and planing a
way of keeping the internet open and fair, for when the big 3 isp's
try and take it over, remember they are not the internet, WE are the
internet and always well be. they are just a monopolized way in.
genzoulv
join:2004-10-05
Las Vegas, NV

genzoulv to FFH5

to FFH5
Is this an ad for Adblock?