share rss forum feed

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6

5 recommendations

What are you doing April 30?

You may want to consider a visit to Limestone Canyon for a Wilderness Access Day. Normally open only for guided events, the Irvine Company and Orange County have allowed limited public access - one day a month from 9-3.

Yes, gentle readers, it's time for another of my photo essays. Sit back, put your feet up, wash some opiates down with a little Wild Turkey and enjoy.

This expansive, wild area is accessed via a "staging area" off Santiago Canyon Road, about a half mile East of Irvine Lake. It's multi-use - hiking, biking or (if you must) horses.

An ominous warning for visitors is conveyed by the universal symbols for danger - a cow femur and a dirty gym sock.

Much of the trail network is double-track with gravel. Not ideal for biking, but makes for easy passing. This is Limestone Canyon trail, which is mostly flat and follows Santiago Creek.

Some opportunistic coyote squash find a home on a fence protecting a citrus orchard.

This tree branch shows the scars of a difficult life.

Wild flowers are in bloom, providing spots of color in every direction.

Signs of new growth abound, amid the vestiges of the damaging fire a few years ago.

Framed by verdant hills, this burned tree is a reminder of the delicate balance of the environment.

A majestic yucca, always a favorite subject.

A view toward Black Star, some charred fence posts in the fore.

A blue bonnet provides another splash of color.

Some California grass.

A shot from the top of the park, where there is a nearly a 360 degree view. Irvine, Tustin, Anaheim Hills, Black Star Canyon and the Santa Ana Mountains are all visible. It was a bit hazy today and, more importantly, I was too lazy to shoot and stitch a panorama.

For most of the time on Dripping Springs trail, I was the only human in sight. The only other indicator of civilization was a Southwest 737 on final into SNA. By the time I got back to the parking lot, it was full and the trails near there were quite busy.

Volunteers at the sign-in booth and at various trail intersections were very helpful. I'm determined to come back on the bike so I can cover more ground and see more than I was able to do in three hours on foot.

»www.irlandmarks.org/Explore/Lime···rea.aspx

dogma
XYZ
Premium
join:2002-08-15
Boulder City, NV
kudos:1
Dang tree-hugger.

I say we make the "Irvine Company" (Why do I visualize "East India Company" ?) bulldoze that over and build a new gas refinery! This would lower the cost of fuel at the pump. But Nooo-ooo, too many nambi-pambi nature-lover types want our tax dollars footing the bill for this Wilderness reserve.

Why do you hate America?

No_Strings
The OC
As a dumb ol' farm boy from way back, I'm glad there are still some open spaces to kick around in. It's one of the reasons we pay a premium for living in The OC.

kim
That Chick
Premium,Mod
join:2001-03-25
ON
kudos:8
reply to No_Strings
Great pics NS. Looks like a place I'd love to go hiking.

TheHarvester
Premium
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA
kudos:3
reply to No_Strings
All the rains lately have made the hills nice and green. Great pics and looks like a nice outing, however April 30th I will be camping/stargazing at either Joshua Tree or out in Anza, otherwise I would consider joining you out in Limestone.
--
mbsastronomy.com

TwoFrogs
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Downtown

1 recommendation

reply to No_Strings
Great pics and very lyrical descriptions, NS. Thanks for the post.

I get the cow femur, which I think warns that "you're going to be eaten by a mountain lion," but I don't get the dirty gym sock.

No_Strings
The OC
Truth be told, the sock-like thing is also a bone. Looked a bit like a scapula but it was too big for a cow. Pig, maybe? Dunno.

dogma
XYZ
Premium
join:2002-08-15
Boulder City, NV
kudos:1
A femur and scapula, most likely from a bovine or perhaps a bear.

Can't tell from the angle.

ohdan

join:2008-11-10
Adelanto, CA
Reviews:
·Charter
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

A primitive hike? A bear bones hike?

Anyway, it looks like a wonderful way to spend some time. Around here the jasmine has bloomed and I have a hummingbird nested just off my porch. I've gotten a few pics but she's pretty well covered (and small). The chicks should hatch in a week or so. I've got the camera poised!

It doesn't compare with your artistry, but here she is:

You can see the spiderwebs used.

No_Strings
The OC
This is weird. I had to look twice at your post, because I couldn't figure out how you found my picture. Took this in the back yard about 5 years ago or so.

ohdan

Adelanto, CA
Reviews:
·Charter
·Verizon FiOS
Cool. They build similar nests (using webs) in similar locations (forks). And guess what? Mine are a little older than I thought. I just got back from watching her feed the two little buggers.

I can't get a good shot (zoom isn't good enough and mom is rightfully a little territorial). Binoculars will have to do for now.

jig

join:2001-01-05
Hacienda Heights, CA

1 edit
are you guys sure you aren't married, and just don't know each other's handles?

edit - because i'm retarded.

No_Strings
The OC
Naw, we get along too well to be married.

ohdan

Adelanto, CA
Reviews:
·Charter
·Verizon FiOS
reply to jig
said by jig:

are you guys sure you aren't married, and just don't know each other's handles?

Definitely not married, but he sure knows my handles...

ohdan

Adelanto, CA
Reviews:
·Charter
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to No_Strings
Click for full size
Awwww