how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Alexpenn88

join:2010-04-23
Crossett, AR

[Cable TV] Service line Costs

Wanted to know how much does a .5 mile of line cost to run. The current service line ends .4 miles away. However 4 houses want it and we are all within .5 miles, but are told " Must have 10 houses to have an extension made".

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

This is just a guess based on what others have said in the past for a drop of this length. My guess would be in the $15K range, could be more depending on the geography. Do you all want to pony up $3K or more to get it done?

Alex33241

join:2010-08-10
West Des Moines, IA
reply to Alexpenn88

Why even bother with cable? Unless your local provider is God-Tier (not likely) DirectTV or Dish Network will have tons more channels and better picture quality and you don't have to pay for half a mile of CATV feeder cable brought into your neighborhood.

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero

join:2004-01-24
Walkerton, IN

Maybe they're looking for something other than TV.

Alex33241

join:2010-08-10
West Des Moines, IA

Perhaps, but the post was tagged Cable TV, so I assume that's what OP is talking about.

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero

join:2004-01-24
Walkerton, IN

Guess I should have looked at that. sorry 'bout that!

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:103
reply to Alexpenn88

If you IM me your address including cross streets, I will put in a serviceability request and ask them to contact you with cost.

Alexpenn88

Crossett, AR
reply to RyanThaDude

We are wanting TV and internet service, but the company is Media3 not Mediacom , however they don't have a forum on this site.

Alexpenn88

Crossett, AR
reply to drslash

So your saying around $5.00 per foot of cable?

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

Cost of cable and all of the costs related to trenching or elevating the cable, and cable equipment such as nodes and amps.

Alexpenn88

Crossett, AR

We are in a rural area the lines are ran on utility poles which continue down to us just the cable does not. It's like they were going to run it and fell shy 3,000ft of cable.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5

There is absolutely no way for anyone to guess at costs without seeing a plant map, and the physical location.

It could be a cheap extension, or, they could be extended as far as they can without running fiber, and if they have to do that, the money is going to have to flow for that to be worthwhile for such a small group.

Cable is not as simple as just getting an extra 3000' of cable and tacking it onto the end of the line.
--
Retired Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my former employer.

Alexpenn88

Crossett, AR

It can't be that they are extended as far as they can go, because they keep running another 2-3 miles down, just didn't take a left for these four little houses.

Alexpenn88

Crossett, AR
reply to Alex33241

They do offer the same silver 200 that dish offers they charge $50/mo while Dish is $70, also internet is a big plus, right now paying $120/mo for some slow Verizon when we could get silver 200/10Mbps/unlimited phone for $120/mo.

k9iua6

join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA
kudos:1
reply to Alexpenn88

said by Alexpenn88:

It can't be that they are extended as far as they can go, because they keep running another 2-3 miles down, just didn't take a left for these four little houses.

Are your four houses within the jurisdiction of the municipality with whom Mediacom has a franchise agreement? They can't just install willy nilly into other communities or townships, despite geographic proximity.

beachintech
Premium
reply to Alexpenn88

said by Alexpenn88:

Again, that doesn't mean they can just tie your little group in. If everything is setup for whats there, big changes might be needed to give you reliable service without killing off everything downstream from you.

RF is a lot more complicated than most people make it out to be.
--

WhatHappened

join:2004-08-06
Waseca, MN
kudos:2
reply to Alexpenn88

said by Alexpenn88:

We are wanting TV and internet service, but the company is Media3 not Mediacom , however they don't have a forum on this site.

I have never heard of Media3 and can't find anything about them on Google (I only see a hosting provider). Can you provide a link to there home page??

The 200/10 Mbps package you talk about at $120 with VOIP and TV included is the best I have ever heard of. Is that a promo price?

lhollow

join:2010-12-02
IL

1 edit

»www.mymedia3.com/

Price List.
»www.mymedia3.com/clientimages/50···list.pdf

Channel Lineup.
»www.mymedia3.com/clientimages/50···neup.pdf

Alexpenn88

Crossett, AR
reply to WhatHappened

This is a 200 Channel pack/ 10/2Mbps / unlimited phone. Sorry to confuse you.

Alexpenn88

Crossett, AR
reply to beachintech

Well in that case we're just out of luck, best wait for 4G unless one of us was to win the lotto.

beachintech
Premium

4G isn't going to help you in this country. By the time it gets out everywhere, it will be so capped and bogged down it won't do you any good, especially for video services.
--