uniqs
share rss forum feed

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
kudos:1

3 edits

[iPad] Understanding the icons in Mail

I have two accounts in Mail on my iPad, Yahoo POP and gMail IMAP.
On the top right side of the screen, third icon from right, there is a garbage pail icon in Yahoo that changes to (what looks like) a file storage box with a down arrow when viewing gMail.

If I'm not mistaken, the icon came about in iOS 4.2 (one of the "undocumented" changes)
I'm going to guess that this is some sort of an archive, but i don't see an archive folder in Mail, nor when I went to www.gmail.com
What is that icon? How do I retrieve an item where i mistakenly clicked that icon?
Thanks

tiggerguy
Cuz I Am The Only One
Premium
join:2002-09-27
Niantic, CT

going from left to right. Archive. Trash. Reply. New.

vukodlak75
Nisam Ti Dude
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-27
Willoughby, OH

The icon with the arrow pointing down is shown with gmail and it means to archive the mail (to the "all mail" folder on gmail servers). You can change that setting to trash instead of archive in the gmail setting on your phone.
So, the icons in your pic from left to right is Move, Archive, Reply, New
--
Money can't buy you happiness ... But it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.

DeeC
Premium
join:2000-09-01
the world
reply to haroldo

Mine shows trash can for that icon in all mail folders ...running iOS 4.3 ...

haroldo

united state

Do you use gMail IMAP?

DeeC
Premium
join:2000-09-01
the world

said by haroldo:

Do you use gMail IMAP?

gmail POP ...I believe

RiseAbove
Premium
join:2004-01-30
reply to haroldo

Switch to gmail exchange and save yourself some headache and get better service-

»www.google.com/support/mobile/bi···r=138740

TearAbite
D'oh

join:2001-07-25
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
kudos:2

said by RiseAbove:

Switch to gmail exchange and save yourself some headache and get better service-

»www.google.com/support/mobile/bi···r=138740

^ This.. i did it a few months ago..
--
Don't blame OS X users for YOUR poor choice in an OS...

haroldo

united state

I tried that sync thing and ended up with duplicates in my contacts. Took a while to clean that mess up.

RiseAbove
Premium
join:2004-01-30

said by haroldo:

I tried that sync thing and ended up with duplicates in my contacts. Took a while to clean that mess up.

yeah you run into that if you have local contacts then move to the server. i always recommend people to input them in gmail.com and then delete from the handheld/ipad. The beauty of the exchange setup is that your info is always on the server so you never have to worry about losing your contacts if you break something.