share rss forum feed

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to bloodx

Re: I would say that this would lose a lot of customers

said by bloodx:

Caps will destroy the net. I used 450gigs a month just on a IP camera. Caps prevents any new use of the net from being develop, and just wait for the endless inaccurate data usage issues.

I don't think the majority of people will go over the caps. So I don't think it will "destroy the net." It is still going to suck however.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39

2 recommendations

The question I think is: once you allow companies to impose overages on terrestrial bandwidth, can you trust them to ease back on the noose as costs continue to plummet? Or are you opening the door to an increasingly-constricted pipe with pressure from investors making things worse for consumers over time?

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet

said by Karl Bode:

The question I think is: once you allow companies to impose overages on terrestrial bandwidth, can you trust them to ease back on the noose as costs continue to plummet? Or are you opening the door to an increasingly-constricted pipe with pressure from investors making things worse for consumers over time?

I am in the "making things worse for consumers over time" camp! Greed is good!
--
The weekend is here, grab a can of beer!

WernerSchutz

join:2009-08-04
Sugar Land, TX
reply to Karl Bode

This tendency should be crushed as soon as it starts. In a collusive market like the US has any tendency that is "good" for these corrupt companies will be extremely damaging for the customers.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2

How?

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:

I don't think the majority of people will go over the caps.

YET.

Go back and look at what they say 3 years, 2 years, 1 year ago and today. In justifying the caps both the % of people going over the cap and the "average" monthly useage have gone up.

3 years ago the average user used 2 GB now it's 18 GB. Ok that's 9 fold increase. So in 3 more year you're looking at average use being 162 GB. Cap is 150 GB hmmmm.

3 years ago 1-10,000 went over the cap. Now it's 1-50. 200 fold increase in 3 years.

This is using the ISP own data.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

said by 88615298:

said by fifty nine:

I don't think the majority of people will go over the caps.

YET.

Go back and look at what they say 3 years, 2 years, 1 year ago and today. In justifying the caps both the % of people going over the cap and the "average" monthly useage have gone up.

3 years ago the average user used 2 GB now it's 18 GB. Ok that's 9 fold increase. So in 3 more year you're looking at average use being 162 GB. Cap is 150 GB hmmmm.

3 years ago 1-10,000 went over the cap. Now it's 1-50. 200 fold increase in 3 years.

This is using the ISP own data.

As long as the caps change with the times, I am ok with it. So far, we have not seen the average user's bandwidth needs increase. Until then, as I said before, a 250gb cap is even good for us power users who do everything under the sun.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net