how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

matmo

@kpn.net

[HELP] router for voip

hello,

i am looking for some suggestion to pick a router for both voice and data on 10mbps fiber connection.

would you recommend 1841 or 891 for an office with 20-25 staff? does both have QOS option with bandwidth allocation option (for voice)?

thanks in advance

ua_hockey

join:2003-08-07
Columbus, OH
They should both do fine for VoIP, however, something to consider, I know the 1841 does not support DSPs, and I don't think the 891 does either. If you need to do any analog or conference calling, you'll need DSPs. Even if you think you don't need it now, I would still seriously consider going with an 1861 or 2801 at least. Remember, you will need DSPs for any fxs/fxo/pri/etc... About the only thing you can do without DSPs is a sip trunk /cme type of config. I haven't checked, but I don't know if cme is even supported on these platforms.

HTH

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to matmo
1841 doesn't do voice. I'll take a guess and say the 891 doesn't either. If you're only talking about VoIP crossing the router, then just about anything will do.

Generally, if it doesn't have DSP slots or support an NM (or PA) voice module, then it doesn't support voice. And just because there's an "ipvoice" image on CCO doesn't mean you won't need specific adapters (or DSP SIMMs) to do anything with it. Even a "pure" IP PBX setup may need DSPs for transcoding.

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC
reply to matmo
For the record, I used a 1760 for many years (VIC-2FXO-M1, VIC-4FXS/DID.) I replaced it with a 3745 a few weeks back -- NM-HDV (w/DSP SIMMs), NM-2V (for the old VICs), NM-HD-2V (for newer VICs) Other than the VIC's, all of that stuff is dirt cheap these days.

matmo

@kpn.net
reply to ua_hockey
thanks for the suggestions.
I am looking for something that has QOS option with bandwidth allocation. We have a asterisk pbx currently so not looking into analog line.

will both 1841 and 891 support up to 20-25 users for both voice and data?

thanks again

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC
Either of those will do just fine. (depending on what service you feed into it... a T1 is too slow for 1 person, 20 people would be a pain.)

matmo

@kpn.net
thanks cramer,

it's with 10mbps fiber connection. i know T1 is very slow and that is why we are upgrading

can you also guide or point me where i can find some information about setting up QOS so voice traffic get priority.

thanks for your help

nosx

join:2004-12-27
kudos:5
You will want to match your service providers qos policy. QOS is a unidirectional mechanism and requires both sides of a potential bottleneck participate with coresponding policies.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:19
reply to matmo
About the only advantage the 1841 has over the 891 is its support for xWIC and
AIM expansion. If you're doing a vanilla NAT+QOS setup, either device will more
than support your needs. Do you plan to add anything else in the future?
VPN, firewall/IDS, failover, routing protocols, etc?

Just out of curiousity, how is the fiber being brought in? I'm presuming the ISP
is going to supply a fiber to RJ45 media converter?

For QOS, either check out the forum FAQ or look up CBWFQ QOS on Cisco's page for
config examples.

Regards

matmo

@kpn.net
hi,

Yes i will be adding firewall and VPN (5-6 tunnels). So basically router will be use for both voice and data for 25 users, voice needs to have the priority.
QOS, firewall, VPN will be required

you are right ISP is supplying fiber to RJ45 media coverter.

so if i pick 891 it will be fine i hope..

thanks

HELLFIRE
Premium
reply to matmo
IOS firewall will work on either platform, you'll just need Adv Sec
or better if on 12.4 code. For 15.x, you'd need the SEC package.

Are you planning site-to-site VPN, remote VPN, or a mix of both?
How strong for encryption / hashing? If going for AES / SHA, then I'd
probably go for the 891; the 1841's definately got a weaker CPU
in comparison and you'd probably want the AIM-VPN coproc.

One last question, any future plans for another connection off this
router? The benefit of the 1841 as I said is you can have xWIC cards
for xDSL / DOCSIS / serial connectivity for another WAN pipe, while
the 891 ONLY has copper FE connectivity.

Either case, comes down to your pocketbook matmo.

Regards

matmo

@kpn.net
Thanks Hellfire,

It will be mainly for site to site vpn, very rarely we will use remote vpn.

There is no future plans for another connection off this router. My only concern is voice does not get choppy when both voice and data coming from same connection.

currently we have two separate T1s ( one each for voice and data) so voice works fine but now we are moving to 10mbps fiber connection we are planning to just use one connection for both voice and data ( but not compromise on voice quality).

will cisco 891 be good also for 50mbps fiber connection ?

appreciate your suggestions. thanks a lot

HELLFIRE
Premium
reply to matmo
For a 50Mbp connection, I'd trust the 891 over the 1841 simply because of the beefier CPU.

I'll also reiterate nosx's comments about matching your ISP's QOS policy in both up AND down
directions as you could mark the packets out to the ISP, but if the return end does not
send them back to you with the corresponding policy, or the ISP does not respect the QOS markings,
then your policy just became for naught.

Regards