how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mikefxu

join:2004-10-05
Titusville, FL

Legal large file host?

We currently host our website and large files with Atlantic.net, great local service at a great price IMHO. They limit shared webhost servers to 1000kB/s up and down. We host plans and specs for jobs we are bidding. The most recent totals 2GB and will be download 50 to 100 times. What is a good host that does not have a problem with this type of arrangement? I do not want uploads and downloads to be limited. TIA.

Jameson
Premium
join:2004-05-28
Fallbrook, CA
kudos:1

I'm afraid any shared platform will have bandwidth limitations. You're best option would be to get yourself a dedicated server..

Jameson

mikefxu

Titusville, FL
reply to mikefxu

I would be happy with more than 1000kB/s limitation, 2000kB/s would be fine. Probability of people downloading simultaneously is slim.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

said by mikefxu:

I would be happy with more than 1000kB/s limitation, 2000kB/s would be fine. Probability of people downloading simultaneously is slim.

It almost sounds like using a server to seed a torrent would be better, if 50 to 100 people need to download it.
--
Give me bandwidth or give me death!
»/testhistory/661871/4f240

mikefxu

Titusville, FL

Some of the people I have to support over the phone and assist them in downloaded the files and unzipping them. I don't want to put more technology in front of them.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

said by mikefxu:

Some of the people I have to support over the phone and assist them in downloaded the files and unzipping them. I don't want to put more technology in front of them.

You might look into getting a VPS.

Not sure what your monthly bandwidth usage would be, but I have always been happy with »www.linode.com

They have many different options available, and also more than one data center.

I have never looked for something like this for myself, but if you don't want to do it in house, I am sure you can google and find some decent file distribution services.
--
Give me bandwidth or give me death!
»/testhistory/661871/4f240

mikefxu

Titusville, FL
reply to mikefxu

I will take further look at Linode. Thank you.

MVS
Premium
join:2005-04-18
reply to mikefxu

You could also look into data storage solutions such as Amazon S3 or Google Storage:

»aws.amazon.com/s3/
»code.google.com/apis/storage/

ViviTheMage
vivi
Premium
join:2002-10-28
Minneapolis, MN
reply to mikefxu

We host VPS's like this frequently, works out better if only 1-2 people download at once of course.

Shoot me a PM if you're looking still.
--
»madgenius.com - Reliable, and very affordable web hosting, VPS, and Dedicated solutions.

mikefxu

Titusville, FL
reply to MVS

Amazon S3 prices are better than Google's: »code.google.com/apis/storage/doc···#pricing

Plus with the free usage teir I can give it a try without any cost: "As part of the AWS Free Usage Tier, you can get started with Amazon S3 for free. Upon sign-up, new AWS customers receive 5 GB of Amazon S3 storage, 20,000 Get Requests, 2,000 Put Requests, 15GB of data transfer in, and 15GB of data transfer out each month for one year."