Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW
kudos:2
reply to io chico

Re: No Honor

stockholders don't give a shit about honor. they want returns on their investments.
you want honor, go join the Marines.
--
"Linux is only free if your time has no value" - Jamie Zawinski

io chico
Premium
join:2003-12-30
Chico, CA

Sadly, you are correct.

WernerSchutz

join:2009-08-04
Sugar Land, TX
reply to Harddrive

said by Harddrive:

stockholders don't give a shit about honor. they want returns on their investments.
you want honor, go join the Marines.

Maybe one day the Marines will take out the corporate scumbags, the real threat to the US.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
reply to io chico

said by io chico:

Sadly, you are correct.

why is that "sadly" correct?

Do you have a retirement program? Do you have any investments yourself?

Why is it sad that a stock holder wants a return on their investment? ... you do realize that with out the stock holders, there is no internet, right? ...there is no cable TV service, right? ...there is no ______, right? Like it or not, this isn't Startrek.. the world needs money to go around - we just don't show up in some uniform that magically appears out of thin air and all come together on some ship that no one can still explain how it was built in the first place. It takes people willing to put their money into the system and for doing so they do expect money back - THAT is how it works.. it's not "sad"..

.. what IS sad are the people that aren't educated enough to understand this little fact.

What IS sad, however, is the amount of money that is being horded by a few. But, to sit here and blame the stock holders is complete lunacy. Pick your battles, but aim your guns and the right people..., which you aren't doing.

Harddrive
Premium
DFW

ever heard of a privately held company? i worked for one at one time. it was and still is the top business telecommunications systems manufacturer in the world. Cisco may own the data closet but the privately held company called Avaya owns the phone rooms. you don't need stocks or stockholders to have a profitable company. it's corporate greed that makes that happen.
--

beaups

join:2003-08-11
Hilliard, OH

Try again, private companies have stockholders and/or investors and/or founders, all with financial interests in the performance of said company. It's really not all that different than public companies, outside of disclosure, regulations, etc. In fact, private companies can even be worse (if you consider greed bad), due to lack of required disclosures.

Harddrive
Premium
DFW

yes, i know that. saw that first hand when i worked for Avaya during the transition from a publicly traded company to a privately held company. Silver Lake specifically said they were buying and taking Avaya private so they could do what they wanted with the company.
with a publicly held company, the company has to satisfy thousands of shareholders so they will keep and continue buying the stock.
it just seems with a company who's symbol scrolls across the bottom of CNBC's television channel, they don't really give a damn (at least in the telecommunications world) about customers subscribers. I believe the word customer has been redefined in big business as the shareholder.
--

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

reply to fiberguy

Don't be naive. How many Americans are going to get a retirement these days?

I put money aside like crazy, but the way the US dollar sinks, medical costs soar and prices increase I'm under no illusion of any "cushy retirement."

Be damn lucky not to go bankrupt on medical bills in your (older) age before losing everything and dying. There's the new American dream, eh?

Disgusting.

There's a world of pain coming. I just don't know when this country implodes.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

Harddrive
Premium
DFW

damn right.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

1 recommendation

reply to Harddrive

I have to agree, with a publicly traded company there is that constant pressure to perform for "wall street".

It's maddening.. I recall Apple having one of their best quarters ever, yet the stock got punished, because it didn't meet Wall streets expectations.
--
Jake: "Four fried chickens, and a coke" Elwood: "And some dry white toast, please"