Crunching for Cures
Premium
join:2011-02-03
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Shaw

1 edit

The net in netflix is here!

Physical media is a thing of the past. It is like playing a game of a disk instead of your hard drive. We are moving to a disc-less world which is good considering the amount of waste in packaging and transport alone. Heck i would not be shocked if the next consoles are run from a cloud over IP from say microsofts HQ where they can control all the hardware and software. This would save vast amounts of costs they would not have to waste merely building an install base, not to mention the sheer amount of time a console sits unused. Innovations like these are what will be stifled not just netflix growth.

Its time for content creators to embrace the netflix model or face the fact that people will just take the content via streaming BT etc and you will make less potential profits. The netflix styled IPVOD on demand model is the only way to compete with free.... Nobody wants to sign up for fail catalogs on multiple services this is why all the crappy music services from each crappy label failed and itunes won. Instead of bogarting content like comcast will likely do in favor of its own inferior VOD service like hulu plus(pft ads when your paying nice forward thinking in net2.0 age)

UBB isn't about network congestion, it's about netflix prevention.
Also making ISPs the middle man for providing what major retailers no longer waste space on since steam/online retail and such have grown so popular.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2

Re: The net in netflix is here!

said by MerinX:

Netflix' own traffic volume is going to be partially responsible for Netflix prevention.

Netflix instant accounts for 20 percent of all non-mobile internet use during prime time in the United States, according to a new study.

Streaming media — real-time entertainment — accounts for 43% of peak period traffic in the U.S., according to Sandvine, which helps ISPs manage their networks and thus has access to buckets of information about usage patterns.

But Netflix alone accounts for nearly half of that between 8 and 10 p.m., and that usage comes from only 1.8 percent of the service’s subscribers.
Bolding is mine. Source: »www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/10/···ith-use/

Netflix has 16 million total subscribers, so that means that about 288,000 folks streaming from Netflix are driving 20% of Internet bandwidth consumption on a nightly basis in the US. It's not hard to see why providers are getting more serious about UBB when they're starting to hit that "We're going to need a bigger boat" moment of recognition of just what they're up against.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

said by espaeth:

said by MerinX:

Netflix' own traffic volume is going to be partially responsible for Netflix prevention.

Netflix instant accounts for 20 percent of all non-mobile internet use during prime time in the United States, according to a new study.

Streaming media — real-time entertainment — accounts for 43% of peak period traffic in the U.S., according to Sandvine, which helps ISPs manage their networks and thus has access to buckets of information about usage patterns.

But Netflix alone accounts for nearly half of that between 8 and 10 p.m., and that usage comes from only 1.8 percent of the service’s subscribers.
Bolding is mine. Source: »www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/10/···ith-use/

Netflix has 16 million total subscribers, so that means that about 288,000 folks streaming from Netflix are driving 20% of Internet bandwidth consumption on a nightly basis in the US. It's not hard to see why providers are getting more serious about UBB when they're starting to hit that "We're going to need a bigger boat" moment of recognition of just what they're up against.

numbers are funny. they can say whatever you want them to. 20% of bandwidth consumption is NOT the same as 20% of internet CAPACITY.

If me and a friend are eating pizza at Pizza Hut and I eat 6 pieces and he eats 2. I am consuming 75% of the pizza. However I am not consuming 75% of the pizza that the Pizza Hut has available.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
Minneapolis, MN

said by 88615298:

numbers are funny. they can say whatever you want them to. 20% of bandwidth consumption is NOT the same as 20% of internet CAPACITY.

It's still a staggering number based on volume.

288,000 folks are generating 1/5 of all of the Internet traffic in the US. That's freaking huge no matter how you look at it.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

said by espaeth:

said by 88615298:

It's still a staggering number based on volume.

288,000 folks are generating 1/5 of all of the Internet traffic in the US. That's freaking huge no matter how you look at it.

for the record Netflix has 20 million subscribers not 16 million.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
Minneapolis, MN

said by 88615298:

for the record Netflix has 20 million subscribers not 16 million.

It was 16 million last fall, which is when all the numbers in the article I linked are based off of.
Kamus

join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX
So what you're saying is, we need more capacity.
I'm with you.
Good thing for Netflix that if the internet can already handle the traffic today, it means that tomorrow we're gonna have so much bandwidth we won't even know what to do with it.
Don't you just love exponential growth instead of linear growth?

All you have to do is look back to the 90's, when it was music that was most of the traffic on the net on the Napster days, and now look, even cell phones can play non stop mp3's from the net with out skipping a beat.