share rss forum feed
« powellMaybe time to leave America? »
This is a sub-selection from No Honor

beaups

join:2003-08-11
Hilliard, OH
reply to Harddrive

Re: No Honor

Try again, private companies have stockholders and/or investors and/or founders, all with financial interests in the performance of said company. It's really not all that different than public companies, outside of disclosure, regulations, etc. In fact, private companies can even be worse (if you consider greed bad), due to lack of required disclosures.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW
kudos:2

yes, i know that. saw that first hand when i worked for Avaya during the transition from a publicly traded company to a privately held company. Silver Lake specifically said they were buying and taking Avaya private so they could do what they wanted with the company.
with a publicly held company, the company has to satisfy thousands of shareholders so they will keep and continue buying the stock.
it just seems with a company who's symbol scrolls across the bottom of CNBC's television channel, they don't really give a damn (at least in the telecommunications world) about customers subscribers. I believe the word customer has been redefined in big business as the shareholder.
--
"Linux is only free if your time has no value" - Jamie Zawinski

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2

1 recommendation

I have to agree, with a publicly traded company there is that constant pressure to perform for "wall street".

It's maddening.. I recall Apple having one of their best quarters ever, yet the stock got punished, because it didn't meet Wall streets expectations.
--
Jake: "Four fried chickens, and a coke" Elwood: "And some dry white toast, please"