Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jim_p_price7

join:2005-10-28
Henryetta, OK
reply to buzz_4_20

Re: Inexpensive and no ads...

That's really unfair to paint every ISP with that broad of a brush.

I own and run a wireless ISP in a very rural area, and until someone owns and/or runs one themselves, they can keep mouthing off and letting everyone know how shallow their intellect actually is.

Now for the ugly truth: Bandwidth is not a right. It's simply a commodity that you pay for, like gasoline, food, or anything else. All too often, folks get this sideways idea that we ISP's "owe them" something. Well, let me burst your bubble: We don't.

That said, I actually tell my customers about Netflix and encourage them to use it - I love the technology, and I've engineered my network (and my pricing model) to handle it. But at the same time, I don't foster an environment of "you get it all for pennies." That kind of thinking is unrealistic and would never support a healthy business model.

Technology changes. We ISP's have to change with it. There was no need to meter/cap when the biggest thing to download was a picture, or a file. But that's all changed now. And the network has to change with it, or it won't scale to perform (getting tired of slowdowns & high latency every night? Bet you are). This costs money. Now we're back to the fact that ISP's don't owe you anything, and they're not charities. Is any of this making any sense?

Trust me; I don't have enough time on my hands to try and SCREW with people. Or gouge them. Or any other term I hear tossed around in here. You're not that important to me. I have better things to do with my time. Like run a business that will stay healthy and profitable so I can continue to provide a quality service to my users.

I MUST charge my users a price that will pay my bills and let me profit - if I can't profit, there's no point in doing all the hard work. I'm not a charity, I'm trying to survive in this economy, just like McDonalds, Walmart, Texaco, and everyone else.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
When the biggest thing to download was a picture we also had 56k POTS modems. Heck, my first high speed Internet connection was 512Kbps/128Kbps. That was in 2000. Today my iPhone4 on AT&T 3G has been known to hit 6Mbps down and 1.6Mbps up. Not everywhere, not all the time but it almost ALWAYS beats the heck out of my first HSI connection.

I understand the charity part. I agree that businesses are in business to make money. However, in an era where things just constantly get faster and cheaper, it's tough to sell me on the idea that things are suddenly different and video is the proverbial straw that has finally broken the camel's back. I believe it's a manufactured crisis because video is the last frontier. If we blow up the old delivery model like we did with audio, there will be no need for broadcast television, DVDs, movie theaters, HBO, etc. Sure, this model will exist for a number of years yet but once the baby boomers pass away, broadcast TV, radio and all forms of print media will be dead. The younger generation is connected and that's how they want their audio and video entertainment, information and education delivered.

When I was a kid I had a small B&W TV in my room. I have three kids, 15, 12 and 7. The two older kids have computers with TV Tuner cards. They record their favorite shows with Windows Media Center. They never watch live TV. If stuff they wanted to watch was available on-demand, they wouldn't bother with the DVR or the TV tuner card. They'd just stream it.

This is the future and there's lots of folks that don't like it. There's lots more who don't want to be relegated to a dumb pipe.

I think the AT&T CEO (whatever his name is/was) said it all when he was upset that Google was getting to use his pipes for free. He wanted them to pay for using his pipes. He didn't care that theoretically his customers were already paying for his pipes, he wanted to be paid again and again and again.

Regarding constantly needing to upgrade the network -- then raise your prices. However, I don't think that means a $50 HSI plan has to be $100 or $150 or that you need to charge $5/GB over a certain amount.