spc
Search similar:

uniqs

django beans
join:2001-07-06
Seattle, WA

django beans

Multicast Pass Through

Could someone present a nutshell explanation of Multicast Pass Through regarding the BEFW11S4? I'm having some issues with multiple concurrent IPSec VPN sessions and wondered if multicast pass through could be involved. Thanks.

Lanik
Lab-nik

join:2001-06-25
San Francisco, CA

Lanik

I believe it has something to do with broadcasting Audio/Video over the Internet from your system. It has nothing to do with VPN what so ever.

mcast_user
@hsacorp.net

mcast_user to django beans

Anon

to django beans
Multicast has to do with allowing multiple clients to receive data from the same server. The server only needs to transmit one copy, and the network routers duplicate the data if/when necessary so that each client gets a copy.

Hardly any ISP supports multicast. I use multicast on a regular basis for my academic research work. The one problem that I've run into is that if I flood out a bunch of multicast traffic on my laptop then the wireless connection goes dead: the link light on my Orinoco card turns off and my network connection is dead. Shortly thereafter, the link light turns back on and the connection is restored.

I'm not sure exactly what's causing the problem in the S4--the problem exists even when no clients exist on the multicast session. I'm presuming that the router reset/reboots but I haven't checked to verify this yet.