chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium Member
join:2001-01-16
Saratoga, NY

chlen

Premium Member

OT - Gaming TV

So my brother is finally moving the hell out of my apartment and he bought out my TV and XBOX since he used them most and he needed it cheap. He is my brother so for $500 I gave him my 48", XBOX360 and half a dozen games and an old surround system I had in college.

Anyways I got myself a PS (because I mostly watch movies, I do not play a lot of games, and don't play multi-player anything).

Go I am looking for a TV to match this beast and there is just too much info out there. I wan't to stay under about $800, but obviously the cheaper never hurt. I'm looking for around a 42" TV/

I use the TV for mostly movies, but an occasional game or episode of house. I don't have cable and do not care about it.

I know modern plasmas do not have burn in problems for the most part and I do not like the soap opera effect of 120hz, but it looks good for gaming....

What do you guys think? What do you recommend? I will take any advice you have.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

I have a plasma and the burn-in effects are minimal and temporary and have no impact on gaming what-so-ever. It's usually when I leave the Netflix loading screen on for a while. I have no issues with gaming. It's a non-issue, really.

My brother picked up an LG LCD and he thinks it's better than my TV. I haven't seen it. It may be better because it's "his". I like how Plasmas look for cinema and it does great for gaming as well.

The Soap Opera effect weirds me out. I don't know why.

Panasonic makes the best plasmas. Don't even look elsewhere. There are several good LCD vendors and LEDs are probably out of your budget.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I agree on what you say about plasmas, you can only see burn-in when my computer is idle and it has a black screen it up--when an image displays the burn-in vanishes and it gives much more vibrant colors (esp. blacks) than an LCD can. Not to mention you can view it at any angle. I have a model very similar to this one (bought it several years ago when 1080p was a huge premium, but the specs are the same).

My preference is for Samsung, and that's what I would recommend to you.

I was browsing Tom's earlier and saw this 42" LCD 1080p for $450. This would have been $1000+ two years ago.

I've heard great things about LED-LCD if you can afford it--Samsung has a 40" for $900: »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 89102535

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium Member
Saratoga, NY

chlen

Premium Member

»www.bestbuy.com/site/Pan ··· =9887962

this one is 699, though a bit larger (I only sit about 6-7 feet away) than I wanted.

What do you guys think?

Also, on plasma can you see the pixels jump?

also why is this a bit more expensive and is there a difference?

»www.bestbuy.com/site/Pan ··· =2120195

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

The one Panasonic you linked is pretty much what I own, but in the 50" version. I love it. You'll love it. Plasmas from Panasonic only vary in price because of the extra features, which aren't necessary.

I'm not sure what you mean by seeing the pixels jump.

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
join:2002-10-11
USA

Chaplain to chlen

Premium Member

to chlen
I just went through this excercise. Samsung has the best big screen LCD TV's on the market. I love mine. You can either trust me and get one, or check out the reviews on cnet first. Here, I did the leg work for you. And get a 46in. If you're gonna do it, DO IT!

OK - I just checked and prices went up! I got mine for $749. Holy shit.

Well, lower the inches then.

»www.bestbuy.com/site/Sam ··· =samsung lcd&cp=1&lp=3

And cnet:

»reviews.cnet.com/flat-pa ··· ol;lst;1

For around $900 you can get the 16inch. Nothing in between though. Sound is the only drawback, but I find the speakers to be fine, especially backed up by my stereo, which isn't even digital. Had to get an iPod jack to plug it in (RCA to one line jack). Also may need HDMI cables.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to chlen

Premium Member

to chlen
Personally, I've taken a liking to LED LCDs...

Looking at BestBuy's... there's currently »www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+ ··· =1580058

Though it is 120 Hz, which you said you do not like it that much.

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium Member
Saratoga, NY

chlen

Premium Member

said by ekster:

Personally, I've taken a liking to LED LCDs...

Looking at BestBuy's... there's currently »www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+ ··· =1580058

Though it is 120 Hz, which you said you do not like it that much.

I have a friend with a Samsung LED 120hz and it makes BDs look like soap operas... Maybe there is a way to turn this off, but it is not easy to get used to.
chlen

chlen to Chaplain

Premium Member

to Chaplain
said by Chaplain:

I just went through this excercise. Samsung has the best big screen LCD TV's on the market. I love mine. You can either trust me and get one, or check out the reviews on cnet first. Here, I did the leg work for you. And get a 46in. If you're gonna do it, DO IT!

OK - I just checked and prices went up! I got mine for $749. Holy shit.

Well, lower the inches then.

»www.bestbuy.com/site/Sam ··· =samsung lcd&cp=1&lp=3

And cnet:

»reviews.cnet.com/flat-pa ··· ol;lst;1

For around $900 you can get the 16inch. Nothing in between though. Sound is the only drawback, but I find the speakers to be fine, especially backed up by my stereo, which isn't even digital. Had to get an iPod jack to plug it in (RCA to one line jack). Also may need HDMI cables.

Basically puts me in a plasma vs lcd debate... sound is not important I run a Klipsch setup of floorstanding copper 5.25 driver set through a Pioneer Elite 7.1 Amp (I am a bit of an audiofile)

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
USA

Chaplain

Premium Member

Then I say LCD for less energy consumption, and recommend the Samsung for best picture quality. Best purchase I've made in years.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to chlen

Premium Member

to chlen
And i'll cast a vote for plasmas--you can view the screen at any angle (great when you have company) and LCDs can't hold a candle to the response time and rich colors of plasmas.

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium Member
Saratoga, NY

chlen to Chaplain

Premium Member

to Chaplain
said by Chaplain:

Then I say LCD for less energy consumption, and recommend the Samsung for best picture quality. Best purchase I've made in years.

The thing is I watch so little actual television that I do not particularly care about power consumption. Between work and me starting my doctoral program I spend about 70-80 hours a week away from home, so I catch the occasional movie or play some game for an hour or so...

I went to Best Buy and checked them out, they are virtually identical in quality... I had an LCD so I am used to it more, plasma does look slightly more natural and you don't get that over-contrasty feeling so I think I will take my brother on Saturday and have another pair of eyes, and buy it then, might just flip a coin.

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
USA

Chaplain

Premium Member

Remember, Samsung if LCD. And you'll have a blue ray player. You'll be watching movies on it. Also, streaming Netflix (if you have it). When you get your Doctorate, you can send us the consultation fees. $30 in each of our paypal accounts will do nicely.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Samsung if plasma, too!

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

Panasonic Plasma > Samsung Plasma

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
USA

Chaplain

Premium Member

Disagree.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

Eh, maybe. I'm sure he'd be fine with either. I don't have anything intelligent to add. I was just harassing.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

This was relevant when I bought mine--both make high-quality, Tier 1 plasma TVs. This specific review gave a slight edge to Samsung. No idea how their current flagship models match up:

»www.plasmatvbuyingguide. ··· 650.html

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium Member
Saratoga, NY

chlen

Premium Member

I'll flip a coin.

46" 1080p Plasma is 200 bucks cheaper then the LCD, and my cell phone contract runs out in April... so gotta put some thought behind this.

I do have netflix, stream it through the newly acquired PS3.
chlen

chlen

Premium Member

What do you guys think of this...

I wen't to check it out during lunch, it looks very good. Right price too.

»www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+ ··· =1580058

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
USA

Chaplain

Premium Member

LED Backlight LCD Screens are kind of new. cnet hasn't even reviewed them yet. It's chancy, in my opinion. Here's one of the few links I could find by cnet:

»reviews.cnet.com/flat-pa ··· tBody;1r

Also Wikipedia explanation:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LE ··· levision

Personally, I'd just go with the LCD, and if I really wanted LED I'd wait for the price to drop in a few years. It most certainly will. I would not pay for a true LED now due to it's newness to the market and high prices. LED backlight LCD screens are like the middle step that just came out to bridge the gap. I'd stick with LCD or Plasma. LCD is better though.

LG is second to Samsung in quality TV making, so it's not a bad choice. I just don't know if I'd chance it. Tough call.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus to chlen

Premium Member

to chlen
In the end, you gotta go with what you like. I think that there are several manufacturers who make great TV's, however, they cater to the tastes of the individual. There are various ways to display HD now. You have the obvious "Soap Opera" effect that is appealing to some and a turn-off to others. You have the rich colors of a Plasma and you have the crispness of the LCD. In the end, the reviews can't decide what the eyes want. Only your eyes can.

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
USA

Chaplain

Premium Member

In short, poke your eyes out and save a bundle.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to chlen

Premium Member

to chlen
Like I said, personally, I'm a fan of those. But in the end, you should really only be looking at it with your eyes, to see if you like the tv or not, not which technology it uses.

And like Kris mentioned it, they're still pretty new on the market, so it's a bit hard to talk about quality in the long term... but then again, it's a LED backlit LCD... and personally, I never saw a LED light fail, nor an LCD monitor, so I never really questioned quality.

ZandraBee
"Sly Fox"
Premium Member
join:2008-10-02
Sterling Heights, MI

ZandraBee

Premium Member

I've had plasmas and old crappy tv's, and recently got a 42" LCD TV.

I have to say, I can see it from ANY angle. And have been nothing short of impressed. I do have to say though, if you aren't going to use it for HD quality it isn't worth it, because regular cable and regular movies look like crap!

I bought an LG Blu-ray player that upgrades the quality of my regular DVDs just because of the tv.

If you look into the science behind plasma and LCD, LCD is going for the future. You might as well invest. It's good quality, and energy efficient. We use our LCD on the highest energy mode and it still operates wonderfully.

Just my $.02

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium Member
Saratoga, NY

chlen

Premium Member

For what it is worth after looking for a long time, and having a beer with my favorite electronic store owner I decided to spend some of that cash I made, but the government took and buy the SONY KDLEX620, great deal at $1064 and I have personally never seen anything better. I love the Panasonic Plasma but the G series is very expensive and is not sold around here in a under 50" size.

Samsung is nice, but I want to go with LED and their LEDs are not any cheaper then SONY. For some dumb reason I have always had the trust thing with SONY, maybe because of the walkman back in the day.

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
USA

Chaplain

Premium Member

Pics or it didn't happen.

Glad you got something you liked. As Arch said, it's in the eye(s) of the beholder. Now go get marvel vs Capcom 3 and accept my Xbox live friend request.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

I could probably beat you at MVC3 :P

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium Member
Saratoga, NY

chlen to Chaplain

Premium Member

to Chaplain
said by Chaplain:

Pics or it didn't happen.

Glad you got something you liked. As Arch said, it's in the eye(s) of the beholder. Now go get marvel vs Capcom 3 and accept my Xbox live friend request.

I did not pick it up yet, my stand is still occupied by the set that is going to my brother's house, I will pick it up today as long as my brother gets his furniture delivered.

I am no longer in possession of my xbox live account. My brother will continue to use it because it has all the accolades attached to it, and he plays a lot more games, and he gets the xbox, I have a PS3 now and the tag is chlen323.

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
USA

1 recommendation

Chaplain

Premium Member

The you can play Archivis, who cannot beat me.